Let's help some guys/gals get their first archery elk!

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Just wanted to say that I appreciate everyone who posted to help us guys and gals who haven't got our first archery Elk. I am happy to report that I finally got my opportunity to sling an arrow at this beautiful spike and made it happen! My son was happy to help get the loose meat all cut up and packaged. Starting on the quarters this afternoon. Thanks again everyone!

Welcome to the Club! Congrats!

Thanks for sharing...this is exactly why I started this thread.

vladkgb

FNG
Hi all,

Fng posting live from the field.

I've been in elk almost everyday and have called in 5 bulls. Had one at 10 yards hang up behind a tree quartering to while I was drawn, no shot, others didn't walk into my shooting lanes.

Like this morning, I was on the upper third of a ridge and had several bills bugling at my cow calls, I chose to pursue the one that sounded the closest, he was just below me. Its thick PJ country, I got him to close the distance, he must have been 40 yards behind some trees below me. I had 2 shooting lanes about 30yards each. I kept cow calling and he kept responding but he wouldnt come out behind the tree! So I switched it up to a over the top challenge bugle after he responded to one of my cow calls, we had a screaming match back and fourth but he backed away. I followed and continued the sequence, he found another tree, even raked one, and wouldn't step out. I could see his antlers going back and fourth. I ended up spooking him because I tried to get closer.

Ive heard calling them uphill is hard, should I have got down to his level first? Any advice on how I can get them to come out? I'm calling solo

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Hi all,

Fng posting live from the field.

I've been in elk almost everyday and have called in 5 bulls. Had one at 10 yards hang up behind a tree quartering to while I was drawn, no shot, others didn't walk into my shooting lanes.

Like this morning, I was on the upper third of a ridge and had several bills bugling at my cow calls, I chose to pursue the one that sounded the closest, he was just below me. Its thick PJ country, I got him to close the distance, he must have been 40 yards behind some trees below me. I had 2 shooting lanes about 30yards each. I kept cow calling and he kept responding but he wouldnt come out behind the tree! So I switched it up to a over the top challenge bugle after he responded to one of my cow calls, we had a screaming match back and fourth but he backed away. I followed and continued the sequence, he found another tree, even raked one, and wouldn't step out. I could see his antlers going back and fourth. I ended up spooking him because I tried to get closer.

Ive heard calling them uphill is hard, should I have got down to his level first? Any advice on how I can get them to come out? I'm calling solo

I think there are a few options here:
1) set up: may need to be in thicker cover to make them want to close the distance even more...if they can see where they think the call is coming from they will not come any closer.
2) could try calling then immediately sneaking up yardage so they are focused behind you where last call came from - would need to be quiet at that point.
3)Once you have them responding - no more calls - and just use ninja skills to sneak in and shoot

Good Luck - share those pics!

Two things, they rake you rake and call the other direction. Also, if they are raking aggressively they cannot see which is a good time to be ninja like and close in for a shot. Mimic their action they do not like it🤙
I use the same protocol with my wife before a hunt! Get her dam ready for me to be out of the house a few weeks! Minus the raking, she can barely keep cactus alive. Raking in our house would get a fist full of thorns.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Two things, they rake you rake and call the other direction. Also, if they are raking aggressively they cannot see which is a good time to be ninja like and close in for a shot. Mimic their action they do not like it🤙

Yes! Calling behind you another great tactic...I almost always do that once close with elk (and turkeys)...seems to help. Raking is another pro tip more guys should try.