Glacier National Park

jimh406

WKR
The reservation system is pretty messed up in my opinion. I don't see that most tourists will know to apply months in advance. In any case, there are some options for you. After 4 pm, (it may be 3 pm) this year, you can go into the park without reservation. In any case, something to look into. It gets dark pretty late in July.

Also, they open a limited amount of entry permits every day for the next day. You have to hit the website early. I haven't looked, but I assume the rules are about the same for the coming year.

If you go to Billings, it's pretty close to Little Bighorn Battlefield. I think it's well worth the trip.

There isn't a lot in East Glacier, but it isn't that far back to West Glacier. You might try to see if there are an VRBO or AirBnBs nearby.

OP
K
We have taken the family a couple times. We took another family last summer and all had a great time.
So much info it's impossible to go over in a typed message.
Feel free to message me and exchange numbers and I'll be glad to give you some advise on what we have done. Places to stay and things to do.

Kris

Great pics! Thanks for the offer. I’ll take you up on that.

PMcGee

WKR
We were there last August. It’s an awesome place but the crowds do suck at the popular places. I did a couple hikes backwards then most people do and didn’t run into anyone until half way through. Saw plenty of wildlife.
5bf6a0fe01538734cf962a66475ecee7.jpg

082d8dcc97d4a62215394c7b4d073a69.jpg

22cd2c9cb43a2cd359f3018765c51785.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hobbes

WKR
Some folks have mentioned it and maybe not been clear. I'll just say it......if you stay on the east side any, do not stay In Browning. I don't care who tells you it's okay or what the photos look like, Browning is no place to take a family on vacation.

If on the east side,either stay at the big park hotel on that side or find a cabin to rent.

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
Some folks have mentioned it and maybe not been clear. I'll just say it......if you stay on the east side any, do not stay In Browning. I don't care who tells you it's okay or what the photos look like, Browning is no place to take a family on vacation.

If on the east side,either stay at the big park hotel on that side or find a cabin to rent.
Exactly right!!! Don't even stop. Not for gas or snacks or pics. Just don't

Kris

Our family plans to vacation in Glacier National Park this July. We’re thinking about staying a night or 2 on the west side, driving the road to sun, then staying a night or 2 on the east side. Then maybe taking a road trip in a rental down to Billings for a night, probably do Devils Tower then on to Deadwood for a night or 2 around the Mt Rushmore area. Any tips, must see or do? I assume the roads will be in good condition that time or year?

We did Yellowstone a few years ago.
Book your passes to Glacier early you have to have reservations now. Keep an eye on the going to the sun hwy last year I don't think they got it opened until July. We aren't to far from there and I like to take the kids over every year the last 2 have been so busy I couldn't even park anywhere to do any of the trail hikes. It's still a beautiful place and lots of fun totally worth the trip it's just not very remote and isolated anymore.

Some guys have said skip Mt. Rushmore, but I wouldn't miss it if you've never been there. It is a spectacular monument, especially considering the technology available at that time in history. If you appreciate history at all, and the accomplishments of the men immortalized in the rock, you will be amazed. IMO, skip Devil's Tower and spend that time at Rushmore and the Badlands. The tower seems massive and awe inspiring on Close Encounters, but when you get there it's pretty underwhelming, especially after you drive an hour off the interstate to get there.

f16jack

WKR
I grew up in Kalispell and we'd go into the Park to fish and climb.
I remember being at the top of Logan Pass at the visitor's center and climbing up Mt. Reynolds for the morning. We bumped into a mtn. goat halfway up and he wouldn't yield the trail, so we just sat there looking at him for 30 minutes until he wandered up the slope. We were to the top and back down to the boardwalk by 11 a.m. Some of the tourists were amazed when we relayed that we had just climbed that mountain.
If you are at the visitor center there the short hike to the Hidden Lake overlook is easy with a good view as a reward. But you can keep hiking down to the lake and climb Bearhat mtn. which is right behind it. Nothing technical, just good hiking boots and some rain gear might be in order (and bear spray).
As far as your trip, I might recommend going up to Waterton and seeing if you can stay there, perhaps in the Prince of Wales. It's a classic park hotel. From there you can take the boat launch to the far end of Waterton Lake back in the states for some nice short hikes. We overnighted from the boat and then climbed Mt. Cleveland (the highest peak in the park, 10,466').

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
We camped at Many Glacier last year and saw 25 bears (mix of Griz and black) and ~10 moose in 4 days. We were actively looking for them with binoculars. Huckleberries were ripe and bears were fun to watch throughout the day. Hiked nearly 50 miles and every hike was amazing. Get into the park early (trailhead at first light) to beat the crowds and find good parking at the trailhead.

Many Glacier road closes when the parking is full so get their early or risk driving all of the way there and having to turning around.

The best hikes (IMO) were Grinnell Glacier, Iceberg Lake, Ptarmigan Tunnel, and Highline Trail (Logan pass).

Spending a day on the going to the sun road is definitely worth the drive (very crowded though). Make sure you hike the Highline trail on top of Logan Pass (definitely a bucket list hike).

Feel free to send a PM if you have any questions.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
We did a similar trip years ago but in the reverse order. My wife had Devil's Tower on the schedule but I didn't really care about seeing it. Well, she did so we went. It turned out to be one of my favorite stops on that trip and I really hope to get back there one day. Also, check out Custer State Park. We camped there.

BamaNSC

FNG
Glacier is the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen. I’d second the Whitefish comments, and stay there. It’s an easy drive to GNP, and is a cool little town. As for the Mr Rushmore area, allow 30ish mins to see the monument, and then get outta town. It is a tourist trap to the inth degree. I’d also recommend stopping in Spearfish, SD, going through Spearfish Canyon and the Needles. Windcave NP, Custer State Park and Jewell Cave NM are also in the area. All are awesome! Recommend any of the tours at both cave locations (Wind Cave is very accessible for most ages). Wind Cave/Custer are back to back for ease of viewing. Devils Tower is also very cool, but you won’t need to allocate a full day for it. You’re also not too far from the Badlands NP which is also awesome.

bozeman

WKR
We hiked all over GNP in 2021....it was a blast and beautiful. You MUST go jump in @ RedRock.....talk about a shock to the system!! Also, there is a small pastry shop about an hour from GNP and I can't think of the name of it.....we took the kiddos up there and stopped along the way to spend time in the river......we had a blast!

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
We hiked all over GNP in 2021....it was a blast and beautiful. You MUST go jump in @ RedRock.....talk about a shock to the system!! Also, there is a small pastry shop about an hour from GNP and I can't think of the name of it.....we took the kiddos up there and stopped along the way to spend time in the river......we had a blast!
You talking about getting huckleberry bear claw at Polebridge up the the North Fork?
One of my favorite places around Glacier. Technically it's just across the river from GNP.

Kris

Some guys have said skip Mt. Rushmore, but I wouldn't miss it if you've never been there. It is a spectacular monument, especially considering the technology available at that time in history. If you appreciate history at all, and the accomplishments of the men immortalized in the rock, you will be amazed. IMO, skip Devil's Tower and spend that time at Rushmore and the Badlands. The tower seems massive and awe inspiring on Close Encounters, but when you get there it's pretty underwhelming, especially after you drive an hour off the interstate to get there.
You're not wrong...

But I'd spend the time at Little Bighorn over Mt Rushmore.