Garage Gym Athlete

P Carter

WKR
If you exercise for an hour, fasted, your blood glucose will be higher after the exercise than before. That's becuase your liver releases glucose into the bloodstream. The mechanism of exercising fasted, resulting in burning more fat, resulting in more weight loss does not exist.
Yes, I have managed to live long enough to gain
I do not do competitive endurance activities...which does not mean I do not engage in endurance activities.
I’ll bite. Just so we all have context and understand the perspective you use in making these assertions, what sorts of endurance activities do you do engage in, or have you engaged in? For what it’s worth, I agree that not all endurance endeavors are competitive, and most aren’t.

*zap*

WKR
If you exercise for an hour below your aerobic threshold your body does not release glucose.
I engage in fitness activities/lifestyle that gave me a 901 total t last test, 11 months ago.
If you want to win the battle of I do more than someone 25 years olxer than me ...well that is just sad. So is trying to shame me for being older.
What is you total t without supplementation?

If it were me, I would cut ALL alcohol and sugar…and carbs and, maintain the same workout routine. If that doesn’t work, continue with above and reduce caloric intake, increase exercise, or both.

P Carter

WKR
If you exercise for an hour below your aerobic threshold your body does not release glucose.
I engage in fitness activities/lifestyle that gave me a 901 total t last test, 11 months ago.
If you want to win the battle of I do more than someone 25 years olxer than me ...well that is just sad. So is trying to shame me for being older.
What is you total t without supplementation?
Again, the factual assertion is not correct. Your body releases glucose into your bloodstream from the liver when exercising, including exercising below your aerobic threshold.

Fat that is used for fuel during aerobic exercise is intramuscular triglycerides, not subcutaneous/visceral fat. If you exercise fasted, your body will grow more efficient at burning this fat, and will in turn store more of it. That's great for an endurance athlete. But it doesn't impact subcutaneous/visceral fat--which is what people understand when people say "fat loss" -- and it doesn't lead to more weight loss if total caloric consumption is the same. "Burning fat for fuel" is an energy-systems concept, not a weigh-loss or fat-loss concept.

Exercising more can lead to weight loss, of course, due to the energy used. But advising fasted aerobic exercise - as opposed to just aerobic exercise, be it fasted or fueled - is not good advice for weight-loss or fat-loss purposes.

I have no battle about who does more, and I have no interest is shaming anyone.

I'm trying to provide good information to OP. Ones' activity history is relevant to the credibility of the information being provided. You asked me if I had done months of LISS in a fasted state; I have! You stated that you didn't do competitive endurance activities, but that you do endurance activities. Awesome! If they're relevant to the task at hand, that'll help OP calibrate whether the advice being given is reliable or not.

In any case, topic has been exhausted, apologies to OP for derailing.

*zap*

WKR
Your body does not release glucose simply from exercising. Your heart rate tells your body when to release glucose.
I have tested my glucose and lactate levels before, during and after exercising under various circumstances for about six months. So I know what I am talking about.
You could be sound asleep and have a nightmare that gets your heart rate up high and your body will release glucose while you lay there asleep.

P Carter

WKR
Your body does not release glucose simply from exercising. Your heart rate tells your body when to release glucose.
I have tested my glucose and lactate levels before, during and after exercising under various circumstances for about six months. So I know what I am talking about.
You could be sound asleep and have a nightmare that gets your heart rate up high and your body will release glucose while you lay there asleep.
As blood glucose drops, your liver receives a hormone signal and releases glucose to maintain blood glucose levels. That happens when you exercise, even at aerobic levels.

Adrenaline can also trigger blood glucose increases. So I agree that you can have a nightmare and, as a result, see a spike in blood glucose. Likewise if you have a stressful work meeting, presentation, etc.

But glucose releases are driven by hormones, not by heart rate. There’s a correlation there - high adrenaline also results in increased heart rate. But the cause of the glucose release isn’t the high heart rate.

What does your testing show? That would be cool data. For aerobic exercise, does it show an increase, decrease, or steady levels of blood glucose before and after? And what sort of exercise and duration? Very cool data - if you’re not a performance/competitive athlete, what prompted you to get those tests? I’ve seen some reports on people wearing continuous glucose monitors And they’re kind of cool.

*zap*

WKR
As blood glucose drops, your liver receives a hormone signal and releases glucose to maintain blood glucose levels. That happens when you exercise, even at aerobic levels.

What does your testing show? That would be cool data. For aerobic exercise, does it show an increase, decrease, or steady levels of blood glucose before and after? And what sort of exercise and duration? Very cool data - if you’re not a performance/competitive athlete, what prompted you to get those tests? I’ve seen some reports on people wearing continuous glucose monitors And they’re kind of cool.
The hormone signal is insulin from your pancreas.
There is a huge difference in insulin/glucose level increases between high heart rate and at or below aerobic threshold heart rate. That is why fasted liss burns fat away since oxygen burning fat is the aerobic pathway. Protein and carbs will also be used if they are available. Doing liss within the correct parameters is the best training anyone can do, other training is necessary also depending upon your goals.
I did not get tests I did it myself because I wanted to know what training was going to best accomplish my goals.
I used basically a similar process to figure out how to raise my t. Adequate sleep, lack of stress and lower body fat% was key for that. Plus diet.
Have a good evening.

P Carter

WKR
The hormone signal is insulin from your pancreas.
There is a huge difference in insulin/glucose level increases between high heart rate and at or below aerobic threshold heart rate. That is why fasted liss burns fat away since oxygen burning fat is the aerobic pathway. Protein and carbs will also be used if they are available. Doing liss within the correct parameters is the best training anyone can do, other training is necessary also depending upon your goals.
I did not get tests I did it myself because I wanted to know what training was going to best accomplish my goals.
I used basically a similar process to figure out how to raise my t. Adequate sleep, lack of stress and lower body fat% was key for that. Plus diet.
Have a good evening.
Insulin is the hormone that transfers glucose from the blood to the cells. Glucogen (I think, may be wrong on the name) is the hormone that releases glucose from the liver to the blood, including during exercise. But there are different hormones that have different impacts; the point is that glucose levels are controlled by hormones, not heart rate.

High intensity exercise will result in higher blood glucose levels because the liver will release more glucose to keep up with the needs of the muscles. But the liver will indeed release glucose during exercise at aerobic intensity.

I don’t disagree with most of what you’ve said, except the assertion that *fasted* aerobic exercise is the key to weight lost. Aerobic exercise teaches the body to more effectively use fat as fuel. But that’s an energy systems concept, not a weight loss concept. It’s an easy error to make, but it is an error.

Aerobic exercise is a good recommendation to someone looking to lose weight. *Fasted* aerobic exercise is not a good recommendation, and perhaps we can wrap things up at that point.

*zap*

WKR
Insulin is the hormone that transfers glucose from the blood to the cells. Glucogen (I think, may be wrong on the name) is the hormone that releases glucose from the liver to the blood, including during exercise. But there are different hormones that have different impacts; the point is that glucose levels are controlled by hormones, not heart rate.

High intensity exercise will result in higher blood glucose levels because the liver will release more glucose to keep up with the needs of the muscles. But the liver will indeed release glucose during exercise at aerobic intensity.

I don’t disagree with most of what you’ve said, except the assertion that *fasted* aerobic exercise is the key to weight lost. Aerobic exercise teaches the body to more effectively use fat as fuel. But that’s an energy systems concept, not a weight loss concept. It’s an easy error to make, but it is an error.

Aerobic exercise is a good recommendation to someone looking to lose weight. *Fasted* aerobic exercise is not a good recommendation, and perhaps we can wrap things up at that point.
The amount of glucose released during fasted at or below aerobic capacity heart rate is minimal...a person in a coma releases glucose so yes releasing glucose is a normal bodily function which occurs thru the day/night.. The release of glucose is controlled by heart rate during exercise. Whether that is directly controlled or controlled thru hormones is a mute point.
There is nothing wrong with doing fasted aerobic activity and it is key for hard to lose fat. I have done it and dropped fat I was not losing prior with all other variables the same.....you have never done it but of course your an expert at it.
The op has been doing aerobic activity and has hard to lose fat he wants to lose..
Basically fasted liss is an excellent recommendation for losing hard to lose fat plus it improves the fat burning system in your body which has many benefits.
Please share your personal experience with doing fasted liss and the reasons why it is a bad recommendation since I am doing it every day and have no negative issues from it at all. I know a few people who walk 5 or so miles daily in a fasted state and they have no issues with it and have low body fat %. Maybe you should do it for a few months and get some personal experience with it and then share your opinions....what are you basing this 'it is bad' opinion on?

Last edited: