Gaiter choice

N2TRKYS

WKR
After looking over some old post, I've narrowed it down to OR, Kuiu, and Sitka gaiters. I like the idea of a zipper closure, but I don't know anything about any of them. Help me choose the best gaiter for me. FWIW, I'll be rifle hunting elk mid October in WY. Thanks.

IdahoElk

WKR
I've only used Kuiu and they have worked great,wear them hunting in wet conditions, winter moving snow and snowshoeing,they work perfect.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
4812557047a52f85377e9e036b649a9c.jpg
I went with the Kuiu. Everything I've read about them was a thumbs up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have the Sitka gaiters and they worked great for me so far. The zipper feature is why I chose them, my buddy has the kuiu gaiters and loves them just as much. I don't think you can wrong with either really. It did appear he got his on easier than I did the Sitka ones tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMT

WKR
But the one with the best deal at the time. Gators are just Gators. I have the OR Crocs and like them. Can't imagine that I would be unhappy with the others you have mentioned.

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
4812557047a52f85377e9e036b649a9c.jpg
I went with the Kuiu. Everything I've read about them was a thumbs up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I was curious what boots those are you wearing?
I'm looking for something new, and do the sizes run normal? ?

ianpadron

WKR
KUIU Yukon Gaiters are stupid good. The dermizax fabric is unreal in it's durability and waterproofness. They also stretch and don't crinkle like those stupid Goretex OR crocs. They are cut in a way that makes them hug your boots perfectly. Tested last year standing in a freezing creek about 10inches deep for 10 minutes, dry as can be. Can't say enough positive things about them.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've had them all (OR, Sitka, Kuiu, Kenetrek) and this year I'm running the Firstlite gaiters. I only have 23 miles on them so far, but I have no complaints at this point.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've had them all (OR, Sitka, Kuiu, Kenetrek) and this year I'm running the Firstlite gaiters. I only have 23 miles on them so far, but I have no complaints at this point.

Thanks for mentioning Firstlite. I hadn't looked at them.

Justin how do the first lite gaiters fit? Did they size them like their short gaiters or are they drastically bigger for the listed size? I can't even get the largest short gaiter to close around my ankle with no boot on just a sock.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for mentioning Firstlite. I hadn't looked at them.

You're welcome.

Justin how do the first lite gaiters fit? Did they size them like their short gaiters or are they drastically bigger for the listed size? I can't even get the largest short gaiter to close around my ankle with no boot on just a sock.

I haven't tried the short gaiters so I can't speak to how they compare. The Firstlite Brambler gaiters I have are size SM/MD and they fit me great. My boots are size 10 Zamberlan Guides.

Had the sitka gators, didn't even make it through one sheep hunt before they ripped in the seam between the upper and lower part of the gator where the material changes thickness. Also had one of the button snaps rip out that hunt. Switched to the Kuiu gator and like them much better, holding up great through all the abuse i've put them through the last 2 years.

GKPrice

Banned
I walked with Sitka gaitors through 2 late elk seasons with no troubles at this point but, similar to Justin, I'm walkin KUIU gaitors this year just to see

I used OR Crocs for years. But a pair of OR spandura light weights. Those died and I replaced them with a set of the stretchy first lite ones.

Last year I bought a set of kuius. Neither the OR crocs (heavier) or the first lites (not enough protection) have been in the field since. I might use rthe Crocs if I went snow showing and the FL are great for keeping crud and burrs out of my socks and hiking boots. However, the kuius are a great balance of weight and function. Top quality stuff.

lkwoolsey

WKR
I run OR Expedition crocs. Never had a problem with noise, and they come in multicam if you ask nicely. I like the expedition's because they have a field replaceable instep strap, and they come with an extra set of straps. That said, after 5 years of guiding mountain climbing trips all spring and summer, I never once had the instep strap tear or break. The expeditions also have 1000D Cordura on the inside panel of the leg, which is nice. Just my two cents.