Barrel Contour recommendations for Howa Mini.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Need opinions.

I decided to cancel my CarbonSix order (mainly do to all the wait time threads) and go with a Preffered Barrel Blank steel barrel. Where I need help is what contour to order the barrel in. The goal of this rifle is to be a compact, light, stalking/still hunting rifle to use down here in the SE Appalachians and NW Florida. I would like to keep it at or under 7.25 lbs outfitted.

The build specs is as follows;
- Cartridge: 6mm ARC
- Barrel Length/Twist/thread size: 16.5 and 1:7 twist with a 5/8x24 thread
- Action: Howa Mini (10.1 ounce)
- Stock: Stocky Stocks Carbon Fiber (19 ounces)
- Bottom Metal: Jefferson Hinge Floorplate (3.5 ounces
- Rings: Talley Light weight rings (3.5 ounces)
- Scope: Leupold Mark 4hd 2.5-10 (21 ounces)
- Muzzle Decvise: Revival Defense Single Port brake with a Banish Backcountry Supressor (roughly 15 ounces with coletac cover).
Total: Roughly 72 ounces (4.5lbs)

Barrel Contours I am undecided on:
- #2 Sporter. If I did my math right it should be .770 at the muzzle (I didn't get the weight from Preferred)

- #3 Sporter. If I did my math right it should be .800 at the muzzle. Preferred stated this barrel contour would be around 2.75lbs. Which would put the rifle right around 7.25lbs.

I'm leaning toward a number #2 sporter because I have a feeling it would balance the rifle out better but would like to hear yalls thoughts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240918_214215_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240918_214215_Chrome.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1

The Guide

WKR
If go with a #3. At 16.5" you will be bringing the barrel COG back quite a bit which will allow you to have a heavier barrel profile to balance the weight back forward.

Jay

Kyguy

FNG
I can tell you this.... My custom Remington in .308 has a 22" barrel with .700 muzzle diameter in a 23 oz stock. With a 22 oz 3-10 SHV, steel burris xtr bases and Warne Mountain Tech rings, and it's still muzzle heavy.

I just put a Mini 20" Grendel barreled action in the B&C sporter stock. The barrel is .730 muzzle diameter. Not scoped yet, but it's 6.5lbs exact on my scale, and is muzzle heavy. Scoping it will make it more balanced of course.

So I would probably get the #2 at .770 if it was me, but I guess really depends on what you're planning on doing with it. I look at everything as a hunting rifle first and a target rifle second. If it's something that you're specifically setting up for target shooting, you're never going to go wrong by going with the heaviest contour you can get away with.

For Preferred barrels, I would go with their 0.750 taperless and have it fluted. That will easily get you in the less than 7.5# range with a 16.5" barrel.

OP
B

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
For Preferred barrels, I would go with their 0.750 taperless and have it fluted. That will easily get you in the less than 7.5# range with a 16.5" barrel.
I was thinking that but that sharp transitions from the shank to the barrel doesn't seem very appealing. I could be wrong.

In regards to fluting, would that much really be taken off to justify the cost off set and maybe having a weaker barrel? I have never had a fluted barrel so that is foreign territory to me.

I was thinking that but that sharp transitions from the shank to the barrel doesn't seem very appealing. I could be wrong.

In regards to fluting, would that much really be taken off to justify the cost off set and maybe having a weaker barrel? I have never had a fluted barrel so that is foreign territory to me.

It will shave off at least a half pound from a 16" barrel.

As to the "weaker barrel", that isn't a thing. Fluting won't make the barrel weaker, or more flexible, or anything else. It will just make it a bit lighter and give it some flair aesthetically.