Elk that recently moved through area

choppd

FNG
Hi there, just returned from first elk hunt for my buddy's tag unsuccessful. Everywhere we went, we seemed to be less than a day late to finding any elk. The areas had fresh signs everywhere, but no elk. Anyone care to give any advice on what they might do in this situation?

EdP

WKR
I wonder, are they just moving around to better food sources in the same range or are they actually migrating to winter grounds?

Scoot

WKR
Jason Snyder's response is the right answer! Keep moving until you find them! Hunt fast and cover ground until you see elk or fresh sign. Then, slow down!

I wonder, are they just moving around to better food sources in the same range or are they actually migrating to winter grounds?
It’s entirely possible you guys were just missing them, they aren’t always out in the open feeding or bugling, especially if they feel the heat from pressure. They adapt well to pressure and might have been sign they were leaving in the dark

Hi there, just returned from first elk hunt for my buddy's tag unsuccessful. Everywhere we went, we seemed to be less than a day late to finding any elk. The areas had fresh signs everywhere, but no elk. Anyone care to give any advice on what they might do in this situation?
They are called the "grey ghost" by some people for good reason. Killing them is easy, it's the finding them part that can be a struggle.

Gerbdog

WKR
They could have been in the areas you found the fresh sign. I've seen an entire herd stuff themselves into a tiny finger of cover/pine trees up near the ridge with clearings on either side.... they came out to feed the clearings in the evenings but you'd never be able to tell glassing that tiny finger during the day when they were under that cover that there were so many elk hiding in there.

All that to say... theyre amazing at hiding when they are seeking cover. You could have been within 100 yards of a herd and never known it.

Keep hunting, cover ground until you can smell em

TaperPin

WKR
Elk know their area quite well. When pressured, they know which areas to move to. In some areas elk move completely out of an area, and sometimes they bounce back and forth if there’s pressure on both ends. Elk are relatively heavy and leave easy to spot tracks, so it’s human nature to put too much importance in where elk were, rather than where elk are.

So, what others are saying about the importance of moving until you find them is spot on. Steaming turds, or tracks with hooves in them are much much better than two day old tracks, especially if they are just moving through, and those long legs make 5 miles a walk in the park.