Bullpup Hunting Rifle

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Where does the 20" balance?
This is an 18" barrel and full mag of 6.5 CM with a Griffin Sportsman and Arca rail which should simulate a bipod. I have a bipod but its for a pic section and I don't want to mess with all that.

IMG_1614.jpg

Note:
- the ATACR survived a drop test in the making of this photo as it should.

Here's the rifle next to what I'm taking to Maine in several weeks for moose.

IMG_1615.jpg

The barrels are both 18" and the suppressors are similar lengths disregarding the reflex on the traditional rifle.

Last edited:

ID_Matt

WKR
Only good bull pup is the P90, and that's only if it's chopped, suppressed, and full auto.
Side note... I have seen your avatar picture a few times and thought "man, that green water looks familiar" but never actually clicked on it to enlarge. Definitely familiar water.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
So what is the best heavy hitting caliber, barrel length and rifle setup to hunt supressed in a traditional rifle ?

I have multiple suppressors, but have never put one on my elk rifle and carried it around the timber, it's too awkward (common theme).

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
So what is the best heavy hitting caliber, barrel length and rifle setup to hunt supressed in a traditional rifle ?

I have multiple suppressors, but have never put one on my elk rifle and carried it around the timber, it's too awkward (common theme).
6cm or 6um in an 18” barrel with a 6” titanium can. Maintains terminal performance to 600-800yds depending on projectile.

-J

I would rather hunt with a braked/unsuppressed magnum and wear electronic ear pro all day than carry a Lapua based desert tech with a suppressor around in the timber. I hunted elk in SW MT with a tikka 22" 7 SAUM with an ultra 7 for a week in 2019 and decided against doing that again because it was too cumbersome compared to the benefit I saw from the 1 shot i took suppressed. So I'm not sure I can help because I wouldnt be carrying a suppressed big boomer around the timber, period.

Last edited:

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Here are some bolt throws and a mag change in prone position.

I made this to show anyone that is still curious that I think the ergonomics issue seems overstated.

JRS3

Lil-Rokslider
My uncle took a friend WT hunting from a fixed box blind in S TX. The friend had a Desert Tech .338 Lapua he took for target practice and shooting at the range but got stuck in the woods with it before the afternoon hunt so decided to hunt it. He forgot his suppressor back at the house so decided to just shoot without it at a mgt buck. He did not have the barrel far enough out of the blind when he touched off a shot. Both he and my uncle saw stars at the shot and still don’t
Know how they didn’t get knocked out from the blast.

I was about to pull the trigger on a dessert tech and just couldn’t get over the base weight. Shot one with a friend and it shot and handles like a dream but I couldn’t justify the extra 2-3 over a lightish hunting rifle, especially at the price. I have enough trigger time behind Tavors to confirm both their handiness from a balance point perspective as well as the garbage triggers. In a tight space, moving around the tavors feel very handy, even if they are a couple of pounds heavier than an AR or something similar. I find the manual of arms doable but not ideal. It is mostly because they depart from traditional layouts and frustrate a lot of fossilized habits. I think if you shot one long enough, you wouldn’t mind, but you still have the weight issue.

If somebody came up with a light bullpup design and a decent trigger in a hunting platform, I would probably give it a whirl.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I would rather hunt with a braked/unsuppressed magnum and wear electronic ear pro all day than carry a Lapua based desert tech with a suppressor around in the timber. I hunted elk in SW MT with a tikka 22" 7 SAUM with an ultra 7 for a week in 2019 and decided against doing that again because it was too cumbersome compared to the benefit I saw from the 1 shot i took suppressed. So I'm not sure I can help because I wouldnt be carrying a suppressed big boomer around the timber, period.
I've carried a braked Magnum for years and over 1000 miles. After a few hours with electronic ear plugs in, it feels like somebody is drilling my ears out. So most of the time i don't wear them. One of these days, I'm going to go deaf from it...

Electronic ear pro also messes up your sense of sound direction.

... At least that's my experience.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
6cm or 6um in an 18” barrel with a 6” titanium can. Maintains terminal performance to 600-800yds depending on projectile.

-J
Anything heavier than a 6mm? I'd prefer at least a 300 win for elk.

• Haha
Reactions: NSI
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I was about to pull the trigger on a dessert tech and just couldn’t get over the base weight. Shot one with a friend and it shot and handles like a dream but I couldn’t justify the extra 2-3 over a lightish hunting rifle, especially at the price. I have enough trigger time behind Tavors to confirm both their handiness from a balance point perspective as well as the garbage triggers. In a tight space, moving around the tavors feel very handy, even if they are a couple of pounds heavier than an AR or something similar. I find the manual of arms doable but not ideal. It is mostly because they depart from traditional layouts and frustrate a lot of fossilized habits. I think if you shot one long enough, you wouldn’t mind, but you still have the weight issue.

If somebody came up with a light bullpup design and a decent trigger in a hunting platform, I would probably give it a whirl.
Yeah, i wish there would be a lighter version. That's probably the biggest downfall for me. But again, don't want a cannon to be too light i guess.

pertnear

FNG
The bolt action bull pup is really an old idea. The biggest draw back is that if there was a case failure, the action is right at your face!

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
If your preference is 300win and up, I’d keep it minimal and well specc’d. My choice would be 300 WSM. I shoot smaller mostly, but keep one for ELR and launching monos. Plus, that cartridge length works great in my preferred platform (t3x).

-J

pertnear

FNG
Before plastic stocks, early bullpup rifles were built on standard bolt actions & had wood stocks. A gunsmith had to be master class to get the trigger right & safe. Some shooters collect them as the early hunting BP's were works of art. This is a .270....
Early-bullpup-270-sml.jpg