Ford Diesel Trucks

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those guys who own an F250 or F350....

I am looking at buying s used one and am wondering at what mileage could I start to see the motor needing more than routine maintenance? What other issues have you had with this truck?

Thanks

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
It all depends on what motor the truck has in it what the previous owner did or didn't do to the truck. A little more information and I could help more.

rayporter

WKR
i had a ford that got 19 mpg empty. it was a good truck. real good. needed a fuel pump at 110,000 and we traded it at 200,000. i was pretty sure injectors were shot then. work was needed so it went.

at the moment i have 2 dodge cummins but hold no grudge against the ford.

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.4 is a good motor to have, it has the potential for good mileage has good power and doesn't have the same black eye that the 6.0 has. The only cation I give anyone buying a used diesel regardless of what the brand is to make sure the owner has not hotroded it with programmers and such. If that is the case then it is always going to be buyer beware. Maintenance is also crucial with all of these new motors, neglect will cause issues eventually. One critical area that most over look is some sort of fuel cleaners to help save and clean the injectors fuel pump and injector pump. Today's fuels are crap and do not provide enough lube to the injectors and pumps.

V8 turbo 6.4

Find out the production date and determine which job it is (job 1,2,3 etc. ). The earlier job 1 and 2 have more issues than others.

If the pickup has over 100k and still has a dpf, I would not buy it. There are many reasons for this I could explain more over the phone.

If the pickup has been dpf deleted since it's early life and it has under 200k I would consider it.

Most ive worked on and the one I own seemed to all have more issues around 200k

I'll PM my cell if you want to talk more

-Gibson

neverquit

WKR
I'm a diesel mechanic. I owned a 6.0l for 150k with little repair needed. I have on the other hand done a lot of work to the 6.0ls and the 6.4ls.

I would avoid both.

Daniel_M

WKR
I personally would avoid both. HPOP, head gaskets, studs. Most 6.0 guys I know have dumped $5-7k into their engine out of necessity.

wapitibob

WKR
Don't know, haven't gotten there yet.

IMG_0791_zpscf5c8589.jpg

From a similar inquiry on Hunttalk a few weeks ago I posted the following:

15 years of ownership, 355,000+ miles, 16 mpg

2 clutches (150k miles from each)
2 sets ball joints (120K)
1 set glow plugs @150k with clutch
1 alternator
1 water pump
1 dip stick mount
4 aftermarket door actuators ($4.95 ea)
1 aftermarket cam sensor
1 windshield (pitted from our winter road cinders)
cheap glow plug relay every two years
trak bar broke off as they all do; I threw it in the dumpster

Fuel filter gets changed every year or two
Air filter this summer. Bought the last one 4-5 years ago (Ford Micro)
oil change 5k-15k

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I drove a Ford Powerstroke for years. one thing i didn't see mentioned is the weak trannies in some of the older ones.

if I was buying a used diesel it would be a duramax with the allison tranny or the cummins

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all the input gents...I am new to the diesel market, so all info helps.

Shrek

WKR
If you don't need a diesel for towing and work then don't do it ! Fuel used to be cheap but now it's more expensive than gas. A set of injectors is $ 1800 plus installation. Check out just the oil and filters for a service. I wouldn't wish a post 2002 emissions diesel on anyone honestly. If you are looking at this for an everyday driver without a real purpose then run , not walk , away !

Last edited:
All diesels across all manufacturers have some sort of issues......period.
I had a 6.0 for 152k and I now have a 6.4 with 96k.......no major issues.
On the 6.0 at 100,000 I did a turbo upgrade and other upgrades that should go unmentioned.......was a great truck. Bought the 6.4 stock and it was better stock than the 6.0 with upgrades.
Most of the major issues with diesels in general are from people using these trucks what they are meant for, but not taking RELIGIOUS care of them. I barely tow much, but when I do, I love the power. My oil is changed, every 3k and I put additive/treatment in every tank of fuel. Air and fuel filters are changed every other oil change. I absolutely LOVE my 2008 F350 with the 6.4. They are tough motors.....but need to be taken care of.....that goes for Powerstroke, Duarmax or Cummins.
I bought the Ford because...well....I just like the looks for the Ford trucks.. The motor has been great for me.

And to tag onto what Shrek said...if you really don't need a diesel....get a good gas truck. Oil changes average $75-$150 depending on if you do them yourself or not and if you include fuel and air filters. I bought mine because...well......I have no kids and my vehicles, dogs and hunting trips get my would be "kid money". :cool:

SDHNTR

WKR
Doug, talk to Ed, he just went through this. Either search far and wide for a gently used Ford with a 7.3 (especially one with a manual tranny) or look for an 04-06 Dodge Cummins with 5.9. I've owned both. Cooked the tranny on the 7.3 Ford at 80k, should have just kept the truck and rebuilt the trans. Then got wrapped up in a 6.0 pos. Ford lost the Lemon Law suit on that one. Got into an 06 Dodge with Cummins and other than a couple taillight bulbs, shocks, tires, one set of brakes, and a thermostat, at 107k, it's been flawless. Great power, nice ride and capable of 20mpg when I'm not in a hurry.

From what I know, the 6.4 was/is much better than the 6.0, but nowhere near as reliable as the 7.3 or Cummins.

May I ask why though? Your little Toyota is a much more practical and a better backcountry rig, unless you plan to tow something.

Get one with the new 6.7 liter twin turbo. We run those in our ambulances and they are beasts! We have had very little issues with them so far, granted our oldest one is a 2012, And they get beat on like a rented mule.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nate, I have no good reason to switch. The Toyota is so damn small and I want something a little more full size. I would look at the Tundra but the MPG suck on them.