Anyone rent vehicles on hunting trips?

Carr5vols

WKR
Going to try a rental this year. Been driving my trucks for the 3500 mile round trip for years and am over it. Here is my reasoning.

My truck f250 diesel
-Oil change $150
-Cleaning when back$150
-Fuel 3500/16 *$4=$875
-Tire wear 60,000 miles typical and cost $2000. 6% of $2000=$120
-Minimum total cost is $1295

Rental
-10 Days Rogue rental unlimited mileage $511
-Gas 3500/35*$3.25=$325
-Minimum all in is $836

Savings $459

I will check a few things on vehicle before I leave. Throw in a plug kit, compressor, jumpers, and few hand tools and go.

Savings will pay for food any hotels other items and then some. And where I have been hunting actually seen a group of Shelby cobras come down the gravel road to a lodge last year so not to worried.

We keep 5 to 6 rentals every day from this rental location so if things go to bad we have a little pull with them.

140k high mileage? In my opinion you're playing the 'what if' game to much.

I've got a 180k mile 17 F250 I've taken out in the middle of nowhere with. I guess if I didn't trust a vehicle in the mountains, it wouldn't be in my driveway at all. Or I'd make sure to make it reliable.

Over 3 years you could've bought yourself a pair or NL Pure Binos.
This.

I'm taking a trailer to Long Beach with my 225k F250 next week, Wyoming in October.

If I didn't trust it, it would be getting fixed or sold.

Bringing this back up for more discussion.

I wonder what the chances are that rental pick-up trucks have a hitch receiver? I currently own a Toyota 4 runner. I tow my 1500# loaded Aframe pop up camper with me out west for archery elk every September. This year, I’d like to take my Yamaha BW 200 along with me.

I’m about a year away from trading my suv for a new truck so I’m thinking about renting a pick-up truck for our trip from PA to WY. Current prices are about $1000.00 for Sept. 13 to 30th.

I’ve had some negative experiences renting a small truck for 2 weeks on the years that I flew out and picked up at the airport. We lost the key one year and that cost me an addition 2k for the lost key and 4 hour trip for a tow truck, lol.

Any negative experiences while renting near your home, driving 1800 miles each way and then returning it all cleaned up to its original location?
Approximately 0% chance of having a receiver.

Rjk300

FNG
We rent a 2500 diesel they have receivers and I tow my 22’ trailer with two SxS the freezer and generator. We put an average 5k miles on it bring it home clean it and return. It is rented for a month cost is split amongst all hunting and it’s returned early so we get a couple dollars back. So far all have been Dodges and did fine in deep snow or mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We rent a 2500 diesel they have receivers and I tow my 22’ trailer with two SxS the freezer and generator. We put an average 5k miles on it bring it home clean it and return. It is rented for a month cost is split amongst all hunting and it’s returned early so we get a couple dollars back. So far all have been Dodges and did fine in deep snow or mud.

Who?

Needing to pull trailers has been an issue with me trying to rent before!

Rjk300

FNG
Entaprise truck rentals is where we rent from also have gas trucks available but to many stops filling up for us and always running higher rpm pulling, the diesel just perrs all the way.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I rent vehicles for most of our long road trips, often racking up 4,000-7,000 miles. I would have no problem renting to hunt if I knew where I was going and what the road conditions will be. Your auto insurance is probably primary coverage; however I’m not sure credit card insurance covers 4wd trucks.

tsloniger

Lil-Rokslider
Entaprise truck rentals is where we rent from also have gas trucks available but to many stops filling up for us and always running higher rpm pulling, the diesel just perrs all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
My in line search is leading me to enterprise. It looks like the only option they have for towing is a 3/4 ton. If I pick it up on Sept 13 and drop it back off on September 30 it’s about $1600.00

140k is nothing. Ive taken a 2nd gen cummins to Wyoming and back to South Carolina 2 different times on hunting trips. The last trip it rolled 700k. Miles are just a number if proper maintenance is being done.

Last edited:
Only once and only because I shelled out the rear end on my jeep. FWIW, the Colorado Springs Enterprise location has really good deals on rental trucks. Think I only paid $65 a day. All that being said, I have looked at it from here in OK and it wasn't as good a deal, even with our corporate discount.

Like it says. My truck is getting older 140k good enough to get me around home but I’m skeptical of driving 1,000plus miles each way on hunts. Low mileage prices are hard to stomach, and I don’t really need new other than to go on a hunt once a year. I’m thinking about holding on as long as I can and just renting a truck when I wanna go on a hunt. Looks like it’d add about $1,000 for a week long hunt.
Pluses
-grand is way cheaper than 35 or more
-maintenance is someone else’s problem
-I could keep my old truck for bad weather and hunting and get a mid mileage suv or car to commute in for a lot cheaper and lower operating costs

Negative
-that money doesn’t go towards anything

Frugal guys I’m curious what you think. We’re debt free other than our house and I’m unwilling to go on debt on a vehicle. We get 200” of snow a year so I need at least an old 4x4 around

Get the bumper to bumper insurance is all I can say! I've done it a couple times for scouting trips and also on a couple hunts. It is throw away money but can be cheaper and less headache. Plus full coverage means you don't have to be as mindful as you normally would. Not to mention toting around a bunch of asshole friends that don't kick their boots off before climbing aboard :)

DEHusker

WKR
I suggest looking at trucks on turo, as some won’t have highway tires and that would be the off season for a lot of places and prices should be low.
Turo forbids off-road travel with their vehicles, it’s in their fine print and I’m sure voids any sort of coverage you may have.

I have flown to Colorado many times for solo archery hunts and always rent a jeep. I take it on regular gravel roads and park at trailheads and hike from there. I think that’s fine and is not considered “off Roading.” It’s never inexpensive, but my time is so much more valuable than miles on a car or money spent.