Food Recommendations for staying full and losing weight

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, booze is literally a neurotoxin.

I'll second the caution avoiding certain types of dairy. The slow-digesting casein with liquid is great at keeping you full. I'll also add that dodging carbs can be rough longer-term. A glass of skim milk and 5 rice crackers are roughly 140 calories in total. That's a great snack to fill you up, replenish some glycogen and keep you from bingeing.

Care to elaborate on the dairy part.

Cause while I don't drink much milk in a month, maybe half a gallon, always with a scope of chocolate whey protein. My cheat snack, ha. I've never had digestion or weight issues related to whole milk, whole fat cottage cheese, cheese in general and butter.

Last edited:
Lots of almonds, cashews, pistachios, and macadamia nuts for me. Snack all day long. Gives me a touch of salt, energy sustainment, and wards off me grabbing something like chips or chocolate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cause while I don't drink much milk in a month, maybe half a gallon. I've never had digestion or weight issues related to whole milk, whole fat cottage cheese, cheese in general and butter.
Personally I think dairy is too broad a spectrum, reduced fat milk might as well be called sugar water. But I'm one of those biased raw milk people.

To me it sounds like you need more animal fats in your diet. Possibly some less lean cuts of meat in there.

OP
Doc Holliday
To me it sounds like you need more animal fats in your diet. Possibly some less lean cuts of meat in there.
We eat whitetail ground w beef fat (@15%) 2-3X per week. We thaw out a pound each time, and I usually have just over half of it. My wife has the rest.

Every night for dinner we have some kind of meat, except 1 night a week we might have banza with sauce/cheese, or fried rice (I make on the blackstone w mixed vegetables and some eggs) without meat, but lately we either put chicken or shrimp in there too.

180ls1

WKR

Cause while I don't drink much milk in a month, maybe half a gallon. I've never had digestion or weight issues related to whole milk, whole fat cottage cheese, cheese in general and butter.

My wording was clumsy. Generally speaking, milk and dairy are fine. Just like most other foods that some "experts" tell you to avoid at all costs.

I think finding a diet that works for you given our surroundings/common foods is more powerful than the most technically "perfect" diet because we are human and adherence is a huge issue.

cusecat04

FNG
Almonds, greek yogurt, and hard boiled eggs have been my go to snacks
Lean beef (burger) has been a main protein with some chicken and lean pork thrown in for variety.
Low cal but tasty condiments have been key for enjoying the food while staying in a calorie deficit, that means no sugar hot sauces for me.

Tracking everything that goes in your mouth for a month on an app has been helpful for me.
It also drives home what an actual portion of different foods is, sobering when you are weighing things out.

I can clearly see on my weight tracking spreadsheet the weekends I added booze back in, takes a few days to get back to the losing trend.

Being hungry was a feeling I had to get used to for a bit but that beats having trouble tying my shoes with the gut in the front.
Keeping the H2O input up helps me with hungry feeling between meals.

180ls1

WKR
Tracking everything that goes in your mouth for a month on an app has been helpful for me.
It also drives home what an actual portion of different foods is, sobering when you are weighing things out.

I can clearly see on my weight tracking spreadsheet the weekends I added booze back in, takes a few days to get back to the losing trend.

Yup! Everyone needs to track food for at least 1 week/month. It's a hassle but you'll get a lifetime of benefits even if you don't continue.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on month 3 of eating this stuff a few times a day: https://huel.com/.

Generally eat Breakfast, morning snack, and lunch of this food each day, and then afternoon snack and dinner is regular food. It's helped me stay disciplined on calorie intake while ensuring I'm still getting the nutrition my body needs. My eating schedule is:

Breakfast 400 calories: Huel shake (ready made or powder).
Morning snack 200 calories: Huel Nutrition bar
Lunch 400 calories: Huel Hot and Savory.
Afternoon snack 200 to 300 calories: Mix of Fruits, vegetables, cheese sticks, hummus, venison summer sausage.
Dinner: 500 to 700 calories whatever the family eats. I try to limit carb intake and eat heavier on meats and vegetables, but I don't sweat it if my kids make a carb heavy meal either.

Goal daily calorie range is 1700 to 2000, but I try to be right around 1800 each day.

One thing I have noticed is my sodium intake has been MUCH lower eating the Huel meals which is a good thing.

The cost for the meals hasn't been rediculous, and the food tastes decent too. The shake texture takes a little getting used to.

I'm down 15lbs since January, and that includes doing Kettlebell workouts 3 to 5 days a week. For context, I'm 40yrs old, 6ft, and started the year at about 260lbs.

We eat whitetail ground w beef fat (@15%) 2-3X per week. We thaw out a pound each time, and I usually have just over half of it. My wife has the rest.

Every night for dinner we have some kind of meat, except 1 night a week we might have banza with sauce/cheese, or fried rice (I make on the blackstone w mixed vegetables and some eggs) without meat, but lately we either put chicken or shrimp in there too.
I'm no expert but it does sound pretty lean. Which can be good if your primary goal is to lose weight but you will have to get used to being a bit hungry at times.

Beaudozer

FNG
Something that really helps me lose weight is intermittent fasting. I can go pretty much the whole day without eating much easier than trying to limit portions all day. Biggest thing as for meals is just to watch your condiments/sauces. There's almost always a sugar free or near zero calorie option. Those are where people get 200+ extra calories a day without realizing it. A lot of people are recommending high fat foods which can be satiating but most people can ingest way too much of those foods at a time and fats are the most energy dense macro at 9 calories/gram. Stick to rice/quinoa/sweet potato with a lean protein source (lean beef, elk, venison, turkey, fish, etc) for most meals.

ChrisA

WKR
For me, I believe dropping alcohol was the biggest factor because of all the aforementioned issues and I realized it was doing a lot of harm with literally zero true benefits. Then intermittent fasting with nearly zero processed "foods", and kind of a modified carnivore with a bit of fruit, cheese, whole raw dairy, and cashews.

WKR
The old school bodybuilding "cutting" diet is steak and eggs, cooked in butter, morning and evening. A simple salad with oil and vinegar should be added to the evening meal. Once or twice a week a high carb meal is added to make energy levels jump back up.

Vince Gironda was the man with the plan.

Nobody said it was going to be fun.

rw79

FNG
After letting myself go for too long, I am trying to refocus what I am eating on a daily basis to get into a calorie deficit. I run 4 miles 2-3X per week and do 100 pushups/dumb bell sets 2-3 days per week. My main issues are snacking too much, and portion control, which I realize are my impulse/self-control issues and not so much the food, but I have cut out sweets, granola, flavored yogurts to reduce sugars, and also have mostly cut out any crackers, rice, or pasta to reduce carbs.

I don't drink soft drinks. I'm either water, water w/ LMNT packets, unsweetened green tea, or alcohol. (Im cutting down on alcohol as well. Been going 4-5 nights per week, but cutting it down to 2 nights per week.)

These are the things I am currently focusing on, but I'd like to hear any other recommendations you all may have:

Typical breakfast:

Cottage cheese
OR
Hard-boiled eggs

Typical lunch:

Albacore Tuna in water & hard-boiled Eggs

Typical Snacks (2X/day):

Parm or cheddar Cheese single servings
OR
Cottage cheese
OR
Banana
OR
Apple

Typical dinner:

Lean red meats, chicken, pork, Fresh fish/Salmon & a fresh Vegetable
I have been doing a very strict animal based diet for two months and it has worked very well for me. I have no problem eating the same exact thing every day, but if that isn’t something you like, then you’ll have to be more creative. Details are below and I am scheduled to have blood work done in a month, so it will be interesting to compare it to my blood work from a year ago when I was eating a more typical American diet.

Meals: 1/2 - 1lb of Red meat (varies from steaks to ground) or game meat and 3-4 eggs, 2x per day for lunch and dinner. I do mix in cheese as well and cook everything in grass fed butter, tallow or coconut oil. 2 protien shakes per day with honey and some cinnamon for taste. I use either the Jocko protein mix or the Ascend protien powder from Costco (they have very minimal garbage in them).

Snacks when needed: full fat yogurt or cottage cheese, blueberries, strawberries or raspberries.

Drinks: Coffee (black), water, carbonated water (Costco brand).

Supplements: Grass fed beef liver tablets (4-6 per day), glycine, creatine, magnesium, vitamin D. If I am tired, I will take 0.3 mg of nicotine from Nic Nac Naturals.

Absolutely zero alcohol for the past 6 months.

Workouts/Training: Lifting 4x per week; (Weilder’s 5, 3, 1 program), cardio 3x per week. If am training for a hunt then I will ramp up the weighted ruck workouts and do hill repeats, otherwise it’s mostly zone 2 and 3 running.

Current results: Age 44, height 6’5, weight 205 lbs. I have a six pack for the fist time in my life.

I will admit, the first few weeks were very difficult to stay on point, especially staying away from breads and other crappy snacks like granola bars, some chocolate, etc. It is also tough to do when at family gatherings or going out to eat - pretty much everyone thinks I am a psychopath because I am so disciplined with it, but I could care less because most of the poeple that tell me this are fat and can’t even walk up a flight of stairs.

Imo, the physical results I’ve gotten and the peformance results are amazing. I feel great and find myself needing less sleep, I am never really fatigued (don’t get tired at work in the afternoon), I am never really very hungry either. I honestly think cutting out the alcohol (used to dring 4-5 x per week, 1-3 drinks at at time) has been the most noticeable.

Stay strong with it for 75-90 days and see how you feel.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
Since mid December I've cut out all sugars, processed foods and typically anything considered junk foods. I have also dropped anything with maltodextrin in it. It's basically a highly processed starch that has a higher glycemic index than sugar. I'm mainly concentrating on what I all meats meaning red meat, poultry, pork and seafood, eggs, vegetables, fruit and certain complex carbs. As far as dairy is concerned I eat a lot of greek yoghurt and however much milk I want. We probably go through a gallon a week easily. I make sure to take in at least 1gram of protein per body pound a day. I'm 163 lbs now and easily take in 150 to 175 grams a day. In that time I've lost 30lbs and my body fat percentage has gone down from 21% to 14.3%. I've also put on 9lbs of muscle mass. A big part of it is my exercise routine. Crossfit 4 nights a week, a regular strength work out the other 3 days and I ride my bike 8-10 miles at lunch 3 times a week. As others have said making sure you get enough protein in your diet is key to not losing muscle mass. I don't feel run down at all and recovering after a workout hasn't been an issue. I'm 60 btw.

Last edited:
If you have the time and can put in minimal effort measuring your macros is by far the easiest way to lose unnecessary weight. Take a look at the RP Strength app- simple/straightforward/

Simple dense calories in with burning more calories out.