Rip my rookie OTC elk plan apart

caltex

FNG
I have experience hunting whitetails and mulies in California, Texas and Arizona but this September will be my first time chasing elk. I thought I’d throw my plan out to the brain trust here and see if you guys can tell a rookie where he’s thinking about this wrong.

I’m not going to identify state or unit for obvious reasons but here’s a quick overview so we’re on the same page.
  • Above objective elk numbers, but most likely a ridiculous number of hiking hippies and hunters (OTC unit and surrounding units just went draw)
  • Unit is a series of north-south basins with valleys at 8-10k and ridgelines from 10-13k, some more easily accessible than others
  • Typical aspen groves at lower elevation with dark timber above that to treeline (plenty of elk cover)
  • River meadows in the valleys and alpine meadows at upper ends of basin (plenty of elk food, water)
  • Basins, ridges and mountains are public land and they spill out into foothills below that is a patchwork of private properties
  • There are at least 2 outfitter camps in the eastern section of the unit and the southern (high altitude) section has a busy 4x4 vehicle trail
I'm a non-res, but my main advantage is that my family has a house close by at ~10k elevation and I can work from home. September is also my slowest month of the year so I can realistically hunt Sat-Tues and then grind through a week of work Wed-Fri and repeat all through September. This gives me 4x4-day hunts during the month of September.

I’ll get there a week early to acclimate to altitude – I’ve done a lot of trail running and backpacking in the area and am very familiar with how much I need to acclimate before pushing it. I’ll also try to avoid going much over 12k. For my body a switch just flips over 12k and performance suffers. I'm 30 and in good shape. I’ve been doing 1 hour of stairs 5 days/week carrying a 60# pack and will bump that up as I get closer.

Right now, my plan is to systematically just work 2 basins per 4 day hunt to identify elk sign. I’ll backpack (solo) in 2-6 miles and spend mornings/evenings glassing meadows from high points. During the day I’ll slowly work the timber and look for recent sign. I’ll sleep in the timber and listen for night bugles to see if I can get a feel for where they are active at night. I’m not planning to focus much on daytime calling/bugling because of the crowds but I’ll get a cow call so I can disguise my awkward stumbling through the timber.

If I beat the odds, I’ll use a zoleo to send GPS coordinates to family to hike in and pack the animal out in 1 trip. I’m going to have to bone out the meat because they aren’t going to carry more than ~50# each.

What have I not thought about here? Is this strategy a good use of time or would you guys do it differently? Should I be changing up elevation, not basin until I find them? Would you work the private property boundaries even though they are low (and elk should be higher in September)?

bsnedeker

WKR
Wow, good thing you didn't identify the state!

I would just say everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. You're thinking, your planning, and that's excellent! Just be ready to throw that entire plan in the garbage when you get there and the situation on the ground dictates a change. I think the key to elk hunting is adaptability.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Gerbdog

WKR
Seems like you got the basic ideas down, double check that the unit you plan to hunt is still OTC as there have been changes this year in states where some OTC units went to draw..... i get that you basically described many places out west but .... seems like an area i hunt and just dont want you to get caught by surprise.

Plans are gonna change, often on the fly, just be adaptable and dont get stubborn / mule headed and keep hunting an area that "Should" have elk but is failing to produce those "should be" elk.

OP
C

caltex

FNG
@bsnedeker I appreciate the advice. I guess I'm trying to understand what type of things I should look for when I get there that would prompt me to say I need to throw this plan in the garbage and re-think it? Haha maybe not identifying the state is overkill... but better than saying I'm planning to go to unit # and glass the X mountain area....

bsnedeker

WKR
@bsnedeker I appreciate the advice. I guess I'm trying to understand what type of things I should look for when I get there that would prompt me to say I need to throw this plan in the garbage and re-think it? Haha maybe not identifying the state is overkill... but better than saying I'm planning to go to unit # and glass the X mountain area....
Elk and elk sign. If you're in elk, I'd stay there. If you're not you should move.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
C

caltex

FNG
@Gerbdog just double-checked the 2022 big game digest and confirmed OTC archery. Wouldn't be surprised if it switches next year, which might be a better experience for everyone if it was an easy draw instead of OTC,

Gerbdog

WKR
what bsndeker said... if there are elk around you will notice. They smell, they leave sign everywhere, you will know if there are elk around. Dont get hung up on old sign.... those things crap all over the mountain / valleys / roads / everywhere and their sign stays around for a long while.

Edit to add here: i think that probably is the rookie elk hunters biggest mistake : getting married to a location with old elk sign hoping that elk are miraculously going to re-appear and make fresh sign only to go home empty handed after never seeing, hearing, or smelling an elk.

OP
C

caltex

FNG
Well id say everyone that won't commit to the new draws next door will push there for otc cause its the next best thing.

It would be much better if you could hunt the week days and work over the weekend if possible.
That makes a lot of sense. I'll see what kind of flexibility I can get to move meetings around. I thought of the pressure being driven by hordes of out-of-staters coming in for a week long hunt, but I'd imagine locals mostly get out on weekends.

OP
C

caltex

FNG
@Gerbdog @bsnedeker that's good to know, and it's different than the mulie experience I've had. I've blown out mule deer before and then checked the area and have barely noticed any sign.

It sounds like this is different where it's pretty clear once you find the areas they've been in recently. So you move fast while playing the wind to find sign and then change modes and move really slow or back out to figure out the best way to approach that area.

That makes a lot of sense. I'll see what kind of flexibility I can get to move meetings around. I thought of the pressure being driven by hordes of out-of-staters coming in for a week long hunt, but I'd imagine locals mostly get out on weekends.
Everyone smashes the opener with gusto.
By Tues there sleeping in and there hammys are crying.
Thats about the time I look for the next best spot i think elk would escape to.

OP
C

caltex

FNG
Everyone smashes the opener with gusto.
By Tues there sleeping in and there hammys are crying.
Thats about the time I look for the next best spot i think elk would escape to.
Sounds like our Saturday lobster opener in San Diego... minus the crying hammys

The letters OTC along with the elevation pretty much identified the state. But did you know that OTC stands for really hard hunting for pressured elk? The house is nice but I’d rather sleep in a tent to hunt low pressured elk going about their business without a care in the world.

OP
C

caltex

FNG
The letters OTC along with the elevation pretty much identified the state. But did you know that OTC stands for really hard hunting for pressured elk? The house is nice but I’d rather sleep in a tent to hunt low pressured elk going about their business without a care in the world.
Haha I'd like to be hunting un-pressured elk from a tent too, but I don't know where that happens. So instead I'll be hunting pressured elk from a tent...

I'm choosing to go to an area where I already have spent time backpacking and running. And I have a house in the area to regroup and catch up on work in between 3/4 day hunts where I backpack in. That means I can take no vacation days and I'll get 4 swings at it vs taking vacation for a week and getting 1 shot at making it happen.

I bet a lot of people can identify the state and the unit based on the description, but by doing it this way this thread doesn't show up in search results for eternity when someone googles elk+state+unit. Trying to be respectful of the guys who hunt here every year... that may be me eventually.

We went for 2 weeks last season. We were totally overwhelmed by the terrain. Topo lines are way worse in person. Spent a week in 1 unit looking at old sign. Decided to roll to another unit ( my buddy was ready to throw in the towel due to forest service roads beating the crap out of his pickup and no elk). He ended up killing a 5x5. Only elk we saw and heard only 1 other bull. We got hit with a 17 hr monsoon and couldn’t get dried out so we threw in the towel a day early. Other than that best hunting experience of our lives. That was our first archery hunt, we’ve rifle hunted but never archery. Best wishes

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
@caltex
Hey man,

You are getting after it physically and planning early. You also didn't ask people where you should hunt, just how you should go about getting ready for your hunt. That's super refreshing.

The hardcore guys will know within a couple of units where you will be hunting based on your description, but that's no big deal. The pressure will already be there regardless.

I'm a native to your mystery state, bowhunt exclusively and am in the industry. PM me if you want to, I'd be happy to help you out.

bozeman

WKR
From reading your post, I'd be careful not to 'over train' and injure yourself.......also, take up LuvsFixedBlades on his offer.....that's a solid offer....not many like that around today.

cnelk

WKR
Here's my prediction:

You're going to get there a week early, go 'scout' some areas, probable see some elk, get all pumped up for the opener.

Opening day you head in to the area you scouted and then wonder why you didnt see any elk.

Why? Because every other Tom, Dick and Harry did the same thing.

Then you hunt for a a few days, work a couple. Guess what happens next....

Muzzleloader guys show up on Wed/Thurs and the cycle repeats. They go out to 'scout'.... yada, yada...

They usually hit it kinda hard until about Wednesday, then pack up and head back to the Midwest so they can go hang their Whitetail stands and trail cams.

Now you're frustrated because elk are non-excitant. And you pretty have to start all over and the season is half over.

Yeah.... seen it so many times.

Wish you luck man ;)

gostovp

WKR
I literally was just going to create a very similar thread. You seem to have really done a good job thinking about this.

My son and I are planning our first archery elk hunt for two weeks likely to the same mystery state, but from the description of the location likely a different area. I’m 48 and he’s 25, we are longtime public land archery whitetail hunters in the state with highest hunter density in the Midwest. We are in the process of getting our gear and bodies in shape (well me more than him… he’s a fitness nut already…). I archery hunted mule deer in the WY Big Horns back in the late 90’s, so this isn’t my first hunting trip out west, but elk hunting will be new. ( I remember seeing elk out mule deer hunting, and still remember the first bugle I heard…) . Well then family life and kids sports and other things took over and I haven’t been able get back to hunting out west until now…(like everyone else it seems too….)

Our plan is to truck hunt and try to be mobile, but have the option to bivy/spike if needed. We are going through the online Elk101 course and have gotten subscriptions to the other online resource to help us narrow down areas. I fully understand that no matter how much we plan we will get curve balls when we get there and will need to have an open mind and be willing to adjust….

My biggest questions/issues I have right now are when looking at the maps how to tell which roads are open to travel both my truck and by atv ( we will not be bringing an ATV…) and how to tell if an area is full of beetle kill or blowdown.

I will say this has motivated me to really start exercising regularly … and in the end spending time with my son on a new adventure and getting myself into a better place physically will make it all worth it no matter if we tag one or not ( I know it’s gonna kick my butt physically , so I’m trying to prepare mentally for that as well… heck I may be so overwhelmed by the terrain I will need to stay within a mile of the truck, lol…)

I do appreciate all the great tips that the veteran Rokslider’s contribute especially regarding gear reviews and how new elk hunters can prepare both physically and mentally for the challenge.

diggler

FNG
I literally was just going to create a very similar thread. You seem to have really done a good job thinking about this.

My son and I are planning our first archery elk hunt for two weeks likely to the same mystery state, but from the description of the location likely a different area. I’m 48 and he’s 25, we are longtime public land archery whitetail hunters in the state with highest hunter density in the Midwest. We are in the process of getting our gear and bodies in shape (well me more than him… he’s a fitness nut already…). I archery hunted mule deer in the WY Big Horns back in the late 90’s, so this isn’t my first hunting trip out west, but elk hunting will be new. ( I remember seeing elk out mule deer hunting, and still remember the first bugle I heard…) . Well then family life and kids sports and other things took over and I haven’t been able get back to hunting out west until now…(like everyone else it seems too….)

Our plan is to truck hunt and try to be mobile, but have the option to bivy/spike if needed. We are going through the online Elk101 course and have gotten subscriptions to the other online resource to help us narrow down areas. I fully understand that no matter how much we plan we will get curve balls when we get there and will need to have an open mind and be willing to adjust….

My biggest questions/issues I have right now are when looking at the maps how to tell which roads are open to travel both my truck and by atv ( we will not be bringing an ATV…) and how to tell if an area is full of beetle kill or blowdown.

I will say this has motivated me to really start exercising regularly … and in the end spending time with my son on a new adventure and getting myself into a better place physically will make it all worth it no matter if we tag one or not ( I know it’s gonna kick my butt physically , so I’m trying to prepare mentally for that as well… heck I may be so overwhelmed by the terrain I will need to stay within a mile of the truck, lol…)

I do appreciate all the great tips that the veteran Rokslider’s contribute especially regarding gear reviews and how new elk hunters can prepare both physically and mentally for the challenge.
For some states onX has a filter for the motorized use maps and others you can get with the local forest service and get a motor vehicle use map.