Fixing awful elk burger

This right here is why I never add anything to my burger.

I'm a "purist" and blend in seasoning and a tablespoon of fresh hot bacon grease when I cook it.

roymunson

WKR
Yeah its not going bad frozen.
Its bad to start.
Ether the meat had some sour in the field that didn't get cut out or the pork fat got sour and went un noticed.
My understanding is it can start to turn very quickly.
Like in 30 min sitting on the counter while setting up to grind.
I've had fat added to whitetail that was good in the beginning, and the older it got, the worse it was. It spoiled in the freezer. If you wanna add fat, do it while you're cooking.

rclouse79

WKR
It can't be worse than the meat Taco Bell uses. Keep adding taco seasoning until it is bearable.

OP
O
Update for everyone who has participated. I really appreciate all the feedback from y’all. I wanted to give it one last chance before I tossed the rest of my burger. I ground one lb of the nasty elk burger with 3.5 oz of “uncurled” Costco bacon. Roughly 20%. The results were amazing! The wet dog smell/taste is completely gone and it tastes amazing. The bacon didn’t overpower the natural elk flavor and make it taste like a ground bacon bomb but it did seem to neutralize the “other” taste completely. If anyone has the same issue I had, I’d highly recommend at least giving this a try. It worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This right here is why I never add anything to my burger.

I'm a "purist" and blend in seasoning and a tablespoon of fresh hot bacon grease when I cook it.
This is my method after years of adding pork butt. I add the fat if any is needed to the 100% game meat as I decide and based on what I am going cook. More work that way but I my opinion the best way for my needs.