Pork Fat for Burger

First off I searched this topic and I know a bunch of you don't add fat to your elk burger. I have done that, and I prefer a little fat in my ground game burger. I have always used beef suet. One time I had some spare pork shoulder and used that and it was amazing, has me considering using pork fat instead. Those that do - any concern over food safety? Do you cook more well done with a pork mix than you would with a beef suet mix? Thanks

OP
G
Read this one - thread to a less than stellar experience with pork fat and burger.
Interesting. You would think you could tell it was off while processing. And I would think pork suet instead of pork back or belly or something would hold up as well as beef suet. But you may have talked me into sticking with beef suet.

Interesting. You would think you could tell it was off while processing. And I would think pork suet instead of pork back or belly or something would hold up as well as beef suet. But you may have talked me into sticking with beef suet.

Yea I have no idea on the rate of oxidation for beef vs. pork fat. I just saw the thread and thought you would like to read it.

If I had any opinion on the matter it would be to stick with beef fat for the better fat profile (omega 3,6 ratio). Not to say that you couldn't do a small amount of burger with some pork shoulder. Those would make great special occasion/tailgate burgers. But to do the whole lot might be overkill. Ultimately, it's up to you though. Rock on.

I’ve done wild game burger with both pork fat and beef fat. It’s just whichever flavor you prefer. That being said I prefer to use beef fat with a little bacon(the big packages of the bacon ends and pieces work great and are cheaper) for my burger. I prefer to make my sausage with pork fat/bacon with various seasonings mixed in. About a 20-30 percent ratio of pork in the sausage. Ultimately it’s just whichever flavor you prefer. Just buy your fat/bacon from a reputable source and use it fresh and you shouldn’t have any problems with the fat going rancid.

OP
G
I’ve done wild game burger with both pork fat and beef fat. It’s just whichever flavor you prefer. That being said I prefer to use beef fat with a little bacon(the big packages of the bacon ends and pieces work great and are cheaper) for my burger. I prefer to make my sausage with pork fat/bacon with various seasonings mixed in. About a 20-30 percent ratio of pork in the sausage. Ultimately it’s just whichever flavor you prefer. Just buy your fat/bacon from a reputable source and use it fresh and you shouldn’t have any problems with the fat going rancid.
Nice thanks. What do u think about my original question then, do you cook more thoroughly when using pork fat?

Nice thanks. What do u think about my original question then, do you cook more thoroughly when using pork fat?
I cook all burger to a medium. Maybe a tad over medium. Everyone I’ve fed it to raves about it. Just one of the many reasons to process your own meat- you control the end result and know what was put into it.

I use pork because I cannot use beef. Like others have stated, it is not as stable and will ruin faster than beef. A lot of times I’ll just use bacon and look at the date on the package, that’ll give you an idea how long you have. I usually cook to 160 on my mixed ground but have done 140, I don’t think there is a ton of risk.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I use a fatty brisket to add tallow
my grandpa owned a deer processing plant, and pork was only added for sausage, then put under smoke
seen mutton, beef ground in to venison never pork unless it sausage that was then frozen asap

I've only ever used pork for myself with big game. With duck sausage I'll do pork plus bacon.

I have a friend who has a custom shop and I'll trim and grind while he processes. He purchases pork butts by the case and we grind that into elk, antelope, and deer. He's been doing it that way for 50 years and his father before him. Lots of wild critters go through there every year -- I think its pretty tasty.

Jethro

WKR
No, you don't have to change from your normal burger cooking process.

That said, years ago I had pork fat in burger. Then many years I've been straight deer/elk grind. This year used beef fat. I am liking the beef fat burgers.

Racer00

FNG
We have been grinding 10-15% fatty pork shoulder into our elk burger for 25 years and always have great burger. Once it's ground and suck n sealed and frozen, we have had it remain in great shape for a cpl years in the freezer. Substitute bacon ends and pieces to take it to the next level and make fantastic burgers on the grill or smoker.

Benzburr

FNG
First off I searched this topic and I know a bunch of you don't add fat to your elk burger. I have done that, and I prefer a little fat in my ground game burger. I have always used beef suet. One time I had some spare pork shoulder and used that and it was amazing, has me considering using pork fat instead. Those that do - any concern over food safety? Do you cook more well done with a pork mix than you would with a beef suet mix? Thanks
Ends and pieces grind/mix well with burger.

Personally I like beef fat best. Especially sirloin trimmings. Just harder to find, at least in our area