Beef and pork fat sources

I’ve been processing my own game for many years and have use Beef fat, pork fat and Wright brand bacon ends and pieces over the years to add to game meat for burger or sausages.

I’ve struggled to find reliable sources for beef fat. Pork is easier to find and often it is out with the other cellophane wrapped meats at the Mexican grocery chain stores and this is what I use for sausages. I’ve had inconsistent luck asking butchers for beef fat and when all else fails the weight brand bacon ends and prices sold in 3lb pack at Walmart makes for tasty burger patties, but makes for a less flexible product. Doesn’t work well in tacos or spaghetti sauce, but is good in meatloaf.

That said, today I got 4lbs of pork fat for .99/lb and 11lbs of beef fat for 1.99/lb from a small local Mexican meat market. I went in yesterday and they were in the act of trimming pork so I got that and he told me to come back tomorrow at noon and he’d have the beef fat for me. I asked for 10lbs and he had 11 wrapped and ready. This seems like a good option moving forward. And here in Texas the Mexican markets still do more butchering the old ways and have some interesting products at the meat counter.

So who, what, where, and when are y’all getting fat?

* I know many people don’t add fat, but that’s not what this thread is about so keep the “why would I adulterate my pure, wild, grass fed, organic elk meat with artery clogging beef fat” comments to yourselves. *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildBoose

FNG
I call a local butcher shop and get "put on the list". Usually takes them about a week to get me 30lbs of beef fat, which with my ratio makes 200lbs of deer burger. I think I paid $2.49 per lb a couple weeks ago.

Fatcamp

WKR
Last year I watched our local store butcher hand an old guy a big wrap of beef fat. Got to talking and have kore than I can use.

bsnedeker

WKR
I call a local butcher shop and get "put on the list". Usually takes them about a week to get me 30lbs of beef fat, which with my ratio makes 200lbs of deer burger. I think I paid $2.49 per lb a couple weeks ago.
Dang, that's spendy! My guy is around 1 dollar a pound for beef fat...I usually hold off on doing sausage until the spring though, so maybe it's a seasonal thing based on demand? My guy tells me they just throw it away so he's just charging me for packaging it basically.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I smoke a beef brisket every month or two and save the excess fat that gets trimmed away prior to cooking. I get 2-3 lbs of fat each time and accumulate enough throughout the year to supply my wild game processing needs.

WildBoose

FNG
Dang, that's spendy! My guy is around 1 dollar a pound for beef fat...I usually hold off on doing sausage until the spring though, so maybe it's a seasonal thing based on demand? My guy tells me they just throw it away so he's just charging me for packaging it basically.

May be timing for sure, as everyone around here deer hunts. I may hit the same place up this summer and see what they say. I ground it up, vacuum sealed it and froze it.....should be good for 9-12 months wouldn't you think?

Echo the points above. My butcher doesn’t stock beef fat but he can order it. $2 a pound. I have had good luck with Mexican butcher shops too.

Tod osier

WKR
I’ve been processing my own game for many years and have use Beef fat, pork fat and Wright brand bacon ends and pieces over the years to add to game meat for burger or sausages.

I’ve struggled to find reliable sources for beef fat. Pork is easier to find and often it is out with the other cellophane wrapped meats at the Mexican grocery chain stores and this is what I use for sausages. I’ve had inconsistent luck asking butchers for beef fat and when all else fails the weight brand bacon ends and prices sold in 3lb pack at Walmart makes for tasty burger patties, but makes for a less flexible product. Doesn’t work well in tacos or spaghetti sauce, but is good in meatloaf.

That said, today I got 4lbs of pork fat for .99/lb and 11lbs of beef fat for 1.99/lb from a small local Mexican meat market. I went in yesterday and they were in the act of trimming pork so I got that and he told me to come back tomorrow at noon and he’d have the beef fat for me. I asked for 10lbs and he had 11 wrapped and ready. This seems like a good option moving forward. And here in Texas the Mexican markets still do more butchering the old ways and have some interesting products at the meat counter.

* I know many people don’t add fat, but that’s not what this thread is about so keep the “why would I adulterate my pure, wild, grass fed, organic elk meat with artery clogging beef fat” comments to yourselves. *

I've had an awful time getting good pork fat for cured sausages over the years. It used to be easy, like it appears in many areas. When I started making sausages 20 years ago there was a big movement growing heritage variety hogs and the fat from the small local butchers was cheap and free and excellent. There is apparently a lot of demand and I have a tough time getting fatback now. There was a fancy butcher I was going to for a couple years, then one day I ordered fatback and they charged me 7 dollars a pound for the 15 pounds I needed. I just about died and didn't pay that. Lot of interest in pork fat so everyone around either doesn't have it available or wants $$$ for it. I have someone now I work with who is raising and selling hogs, so I have a good supply now, since she direct markets the pork and many customers don't want it.

For fresh venison sausages, I use pork belly from Costco, it is about 50-50 fat to meat, I like that bit of white meat in a fresh sausage. An italian sausage or brat for me that doesn't have any pork in it is just a little too dark - perfectly good, but not quite right.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
May be timing for sure, as everyone around here deer hunts. I may hit the same place up this summer and see what they say. I ground it up, vacuum sealed it and froze it.....should be good for 9-12 months wouldn't you think?
So interestingly this is the first year I've had any left over... usually I get just the right amount for what I need. so I've got about 5 pounds sitting in my freezer for the last 6 months. so far it looks good...I took a chunk out and fried it up the other day and it cooked up fine... no hint of it going bad so far!

Tod osier

WKR
dont forget that if you use pork you should cook the meat at least medium well and near well done to be safe!

Yes, but trichinosis in pork is not resistant to cold, so some time in a deep freeze will kill it (unlike trichinosis in bears, which can be resistant to cold). I, and many others, routinely make cured sausages with "raw" pork in them.

Tod osier

WKR
So interestingly this is the first year I've had any left over... usually I get just the right amount for what I need. so I've got about 5 pounds sitting in my freezer for the last 6 months. so far it looks good...I took a chunk out and fried it up the other day and it cooked up fine... no hint of it going bad so far!

I've used it after over a year of being vac sealed. I don't use it in something that takes a lot of work and will be stored a long time like dried sausages, but try to use in something that will get turned around pretty quick (like preformed burgers or brats).

I'd say to leave it in as large a chunks as possible, to cut down on surface area to oxidize.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
I've started keeping fat trimmings from store bought meat recently.

Any idea how long it will keep in the freezer?

I've got 2 ziploc bags going, one for beef, one for pork.

z987k

WKR
I go to any real butcher and buy it by the pound.

The trick I've found is matching the fat. Lamb fat with a sheep. Goat fat with a goat. Pork makes good sausage but I'd much rather keep it as close to tasting like that animal as possible.
If I only wanted pork sausage I'd never have to go hunting.

In the past I have purchased a box of pork fat from a local organic farm, kept it frozen and used it for a few years processing various elk and deer. I've also taken tubs full of my grind pile to a processor and had them grind it and add 10% beef fat. The last time I did that with some elk meat it was ready to pick up in about an hour and cost me roughly $1/lb that I had them grind and add fat to, then I just vac sealed it all at home.

Margoot

FNG
I get my pork fat off of pork butts that I trim for pulled pork. Trim off the half inch fat cap, slice it up and freeze it. You don't want it on your pulled pork anyway, it would just go in the trash.

That said, most straight pork sausage recipes are going to be good with just taking the same pork butt and chopping it all up. If you include that fat cap, you'll be left with roughly 25% fat, which is about the mid-point for great sausage. It's more important to separate it out and weigh/measure the fat when you're working with beef or venison since they're so lean and need extra fat. I've never had to ask a butcher for pork fat.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
We have several small time beef farmers near us that have plenty for a good price. If you're not sure check out your local farmers markets and farm to table restaurants to find the right farmer.

yote69301

FNG
Any local country butcher shop should be able to save some beef fat for you. Also, our local grocery store will order it in for us. We get it free from the country butcher or it’s $1 per lb from the grocery store butcher