Pork Fat for Burger

WKR
I typically go just straight ground venison. If making burgers, I started adding ground brisket last year. It works pretty darn well. Adjust the mix as you prefer.

I save the brisket trimmings for the one or two I do per year and grind that with deer meat for burger Pattie’s. Best I have had and I won’t go back to anything else. It’s fat trimming that most people just throw away. For me it makes awesome burger Pattie’s. I also added high temp cheese to some and the kids really like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
Been using pork shoulder my whole life, 10-15%, in all our burger and never had an issue. We eat everything within a year so maybe that helps.
I cut mule deer up in pieces and pressure can it. We use it in stew and tacos.
Back strap is vacuum packed and used in pho.
Good beef kidney fat we render down for tallow to cook with.

OP
G
^ concur, no fat added. lean is best.
Not me, I've done it that way and I prefer a little fat, even for taco meat. 10% with wild game is still way leaner than 10% from the store. But to each his own!

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
I simply don’t understand how anyone can eat deer burger with no added fat.
Unless you like eating meat biscuits made out of cardboard.
Even top of the line sirloin beef burger 92/8 is to dry to eat unless it is way undercooked.
How do you make a venison patty out of 100% lean without it falling apart during the cooking process?

Last edited:

Michael54

WKR
I use 20% pork/fat for all of my sausage, bologna, and snack sticks. However i use fresh fat and the stuff i use it in is usually eaten in under a few months.

I use pork shoulder, pork fat, or bacon ends for my personal stuff. Usually bacon ends and pieces. It works fantastic for all dishes that utilize hamburger. Pork fat can go rancid if too much is used or the package is not properly sealed. Beef fat will go rancid as well for the same reasons. When I processed WG commercially we used beef kidney fat but only added about 5-8%. Too much and it leaves a nice fatty film on the roof of your mouth that is just nasty. We would cut it into chunks then coarse grind it into a box lined with a clear plastic trash bag. Closed up and placed into the freezer. When I needed it I pulled it out and used a scoop to measure out the right percentage and then added it to the unground meat and mixed it in. Ground once coarse then once fine and stuffed into polytubes. It would last in the freezer just fine for a good long time. My family is still finishing some burger with bacon in it from 2013 with no problems at all.

Michael54

WKR
I simply don’t understand how anyone can eat deer burger with no added fat.
Unless you like eating meat biscuits made out of cardboard.
Even top of the line sirloin beef burger 92/8 is to dry to eat unless it is way undercooked.
How do you make a venison patty out of 100% lean without it falling apart during the cooking process?
Throw an egg in with it.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
Well while using pork for the burger it’s always better and safer to cook it properly.