First Rifle - 3k Budget

To make a long story short, I have had a dedicated fishing obsession for the last 15 years and knew if I started down the path with the hunting community it would be a real slippery slope… well here I am. Shot my first deer this last year with a borrowed 270 and have been researching/obsessed ever since.

That brings me to this… looking at buying my first hunting rifle and have a 3k budget for just the rifle. I feel comfortable saying I have a 5k budget all in to give some reference. 3k seems like it is the real teetering point between custom and higher end production guns. I have researched a lot but, seekins, proof, and APR seem to have good feedback within the budget. My ideas for cartridge have been centered on 6.5PRC, 7RM, and 7Saum. Will be used for deer/elk. Appreciate all the posts so far, I have read what feels like thousands, but would love some feedback if you don’t mind. I live in Oregon. Thanks!

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah you can get into some high quality stuff with that budget. For a hunting rifle, an APR Maverick would be a good place to start looking. I think their carbon builds are just over your budget.

If you’re looking at carbon, Bergara’s new Premier Divide is inside your budget as well.

Is this your first rifle or first hunting rifle? If this is your first rifle, I think you’d be much better served keeping your total budget around $1500 to $1700 for a whole setup and invest the rest in equipment for your overall hunting needs. Things like quality binoculars, boots, clothing, and other tools and accessories like knives, range finders, packs, etc.

Also, of the three cartridge choices, you have one that is common (7mm RM), one that is gaining steam but not as readily available (6.5 PRC), and one that is purely boutique (7mm SAUM). Of the three, especially if I were to rely on factory ammo, I’d choose the 7mm Rem Mag. It’s versatile from pronghorn to moose and recoil is manageable. If you’re a reloader, you can probably feed a 6.5 PRC. The 7mm SAUM is nearly 100% a handloader’s venture at this point.

My preferences in rifles are more basic. I work on my own guns, so I upgrade as needed to achieve what I want. That can be new stocks, finishes, even barrels. I prefer Winchester 70 short actions (because they are one of the longest) and Remington 700 long actions (same reason). Aftermarket parts are everywhere and I can do all my own work. But, I don’t “improve” unless it’s needed.

Tikkas are good guns out of the box, especially if you can do magazine/bolt stop swaps to give more OAL (if you handload). They shoot factory ammo great, so there is no need unless you’re picky about bullets. As a handloader, Tikka magazines get cramped with some long action magnums like the 300 Win Mag.

Good binos, good boots, good clothes, and a $500 dollar rifle with a $300 scope will make more of a difference than $5000 grand in rifle without the other stuff. If there were anywhere to cut cost, it’s rifle and scope.

LightFoot

WKR
For $3K I think you are in high-end factory territory, but not into full custom.

I think APR is a good choice.

Of the cartridges you mentioned, I would go 7mm Rem. I believe it is more versatile.

I think you should put a lot of focus on glass. NF, Sawro, Zeiss, etc...

I'm excited for your journey.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
If I had 5k all in; Tikka in 7RM or 30/06 (common), NF ATACR 4-16, Seekins rail and rings, Yo Dave trigger spring, bunch of ammo.
Like this one?
d595eb66c9581141d572269368f4c63f.jpg
80994336111c55553259fa71eb29f051.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
If I knew then what I know now, I’d buy a Tikka .223 (if not legal to hunt big game in OR with a .22 center fire then 6CM), SWFA 6x milquad mil/mil, Sportsmatch TO84 rings, Tikka vertical grip module and a suppressor. I’d then spend the remaining $$25-2600 on ammo. TMKs out of both. I’d purposefully pursue becoming a rifleman, specifically tailored to efficient killing.

OP
C
Appreciate all the responses. I was originally dead set on Tikka but then as I got more excited about things I started looking at other options which led me to spending more cash. May need to pull back a touch and focus on items like better a better scope/binos etc. What model Tikka would be a good platform to start with. Just the regular T3 Lite? Thanks again!

Appreciate all the responses. I was originally dead set on Tikka but then as I got more excited about things I started looking at other options which led me to spending more cash. May need to pull back a touch and focus on items like better a better scope/binos etc. What model Tikka would be a good platform to start with. Just the regular T3 Lite? Thanks again!

I’m a fan of the standard T3x Lite Stainless or the Superlite (same, just fluted barrel). The Superlite is a Sportsman’s Whorehouse exclusive. I can’t get fired about the painted up “Veil” or whatever else they have beyond the basic lite/superlite, but your mileage may vary. If you were going to get a suppressor, consider one of those models since they are threaded already.

Beware....the recoil pads aren’t great and 6.2lb rifles in magnum cartridges will result in a bit more recoil. Scope rings will have to be top quality, especially if you put a heavier scope on it. Light rifles that kick hard have a tendency to make heavy scopes slip in the rings if the rings suck.

Where ya at in Oregon? I could potentially let ya play with a few things. That’s a great budget to start. Full custom, probably not but close enough. Those APR rifles are great value. I would push you towards something like the altitude. There are other options out there as well that are similar. Then top it with a scope in the 1500 range like a mark5, nightforce nxs or used other models, Zeiss v4 or 6, maven etc. I would also steer you towards something a little bigger. Probably 300prc. Good factory options that are about to get better. And if you reload even more reason. It will be enough for elk and obviously plenty for deer. I would rather see it be that way instead of barely enough for elk and just right for deer. This way you are safe. Also I would recommend stretching the budget if you feel you are getting a great do all rifle that will fit your wants and needs. Otherwise you will just be wanting more quickly and will either cost yourself money or not be doable to buy a 2nd. I have a safe full of customs and currently have 2 more in the works. I have ones I’ve put together, ones I have had 50% done, then ones from APR and alike and currently having Alex wheeler building my newest. Not to mention been around and shot many many more. At this point I feel like I have a good feel on what I like and where the $ should be spent and then skimped on. A little more info on your hunting style/wants, shooting wants, etc. this will affect rifle/scope style that you should be shopping for. If you can stretch your budget I would push for something on defiance or similar action, carbon barrel , gunwerks clymer etc. this will serve as a great compromise rifle from thicker OR coast range to longer range prone shooting. With 1500 $ dollar scope you may have to stretch your 5k budget to 5500. Lots to think about…. I understand and agree in ways with people saying tikka and shoot that and find what you want then upgrade. If you can afford that route then sure go that way. If this is a one time thing and you can’t afford a 5k setup after your 2500 tikka then I would look at the more custom route. Or meet in the middle and go Christensen. Also fierce would be another semi custom rifle similar to APR

Last edited:
If I knew then what I know now, I’d buy a Tikka .223 (if not legal to hunt big game in OR with a .22 center fire then 6CM), SWFA 6x milquad mil/mil, Sportsmatch TO84 rings, Tikka vertical grip module and a suppressor. I’d then spend the remaining $$25-2600 on ammo. TMKs out of both. I’d purposefully pursue becoming a rifleman, specifically tailored to efficient killing.
100% agree on the overall advice, but I’d suggest a different caliber. A Tikka 223 lite/superlite is a unicorn at this point and 6mm creedmor isn’t a factory chambering

The other benefit to not dropping $3k on a rifle right away is you probably don’t have the experience to know what you do or don’t like. Get a tikka and good scope, throw on a cheek riser and vertical grip, and shoot the hell out of it. Whenever you get a chance, shoot other rifles. It won’t take long to figure out your preferences and plan a custom build if you want to do so.

PNWGATOR

WKR
A standard bolt faced Tikka can be rebarreled with a properly throated 6CM in short order without issue. Not worried about it being an off the shelf offering. Simply focused on the correct delivery system for a bullet delivering acceptable wound channels with the least recoil possible.

Man it’s your money, but I am in agreement with some of the other advice given already. A solid performing rifle like a Tikka T3x and a reliable scope. Dump the rest into ammo for practice or even some training. With your budget you could easily outfit a second practice rifle set up as well. Figure out what works for you and what doesn’t. Then you can upgrade later if you think it’s worth it, and have the personal experience to make a better informed decision. Keep it simple.

Man it’s your money, but I am in agreement with some of the other advice given already. A solid performing rifle like a Tikka T3x and a reliable scope. Dump the rest into ammo for practice or even some training. With your budget you could easily outfit a second practice rifle set up as well. Figure out what works for you and what doesn’t. Then you can upgrade later if you think it’s worth it, and have the personal experience to make a better informed decision. Keep it simple.

The beauty of Tikka, is the external dimensions are identical besides barrel length and sometimes contour. That means having an understudy rifle that is true apples to apples.