<$1500 first deer rifle

OP
CliffordOM
I really wouldn't stress too much about it. Go to a shop with good selection and run the actions of a few, buy the one the feels best. Spend as little as you can on the rifle and buy good glass -- you'll notice differences in glass more than you will on all the rifles you mentioned.

If you're going to run a can on it, go with a short barrel. I have a 16" CA Ridgeline in 6.5CM with a 9" can - it's easy to lug into the woods and get in and out of stands and quiet enough to not stress about ear pro. I bought it on recos from forums like this, and turns out the action is sloppy and they used actual razor blades in the construction of the bolt knob. But it kills deer just fine so I don't stress about it.

No matter what you do it's your first deer rifle - you'll learn something and know more for next time.
I was actually eyeing that exact rifle on one of the forums... was it just your rifle that felt like that, or is that consistent with CA? next weekend im headed out to one of the big box stores to get a chance to feel them all so Ill compare for myself i guess.

besides from that, have you enjoyed it for its purpose? would you consider it a decent value? Thanks

Unclecroc

FNG
As a fellow pennsylvanian I would drive to grice gun shop or elk county ammo and arms and take your time looking and feeling rifles that are in budget and have the features you want.
Don’t get too hung up on brands because most make good stuff in todays market. $1500 should snag you a very nice set up.
As far as cartridge selection goes a 243 is about perfect for deer hunting the pa woods.

S.Clancy

WKR
I would look for a used gen 1 Ruger American. I looked the other day at our local gun shop, there were a couple for 300-350$ with rings. I would buy a good scope, that way you can switch it to a different rifle in the even to upgrade, think used SWFA SS 3-15x42. You should be out the door for $850 or so.

Migrator

FNG
I was actually eyeing that exact rifle on one of the forums... was it just your rifle that felt like that, or is that consistent with CA? next weekend im headed out to one of the big box stores to get a chance to feel them all so Ill compare for myself i guess.

besides from that, have you enjoyed it for its purpose? would you consider it a decent value? Thanks
It's just how it's made. They tried to shave weight.

No regrets on it...It shoots sub-MOA groups, likes a bunch of ammo, and doesn't have much of velocity handicap with the short barrel (2735fps at barrel with 120gr barnes ttsx vs. published velocity of 2910fps). Plenty to run monos at any distance I'd shoot. One of these days I'll just replace the abomination of a bolt knob.

Mine doesn't have the detachable mag, which I prefer. One less thing to catch, poke, or fuss with in a tree.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger Americans are the Red Solo cups of the rifle world. They serve their intended purpose.

Weatherby Vanguards are solid. I actually prefer them to the MK V. I drank the cool aid and I’m on the Tikka bandwagon now, so I’d go that route.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Browning X-bolt Stalker Long Range or Suppressor Ready models are essentially the same but with different length barrel, both threaded and come with a 3 port muzzle brake.

X-bolt is, IMO, the best hunting rifle on the market when you factor in quality, feel, accuracy and price/feature ratio.

Tikka is a better action to build a rifle on, I did it twice with zero regret, but any features you want from the factory will cost you dearly, the factory barrels are slow, and the factory stock is very passable, but nobody will call it good.

Buy and hunt- X-bolt

Buy and build- Tikka

If you're buying for deer only, a lighter recoiling cartridge will save you money and be easier to shoot accurately; 6.5 creed, 6 creed, 243 Win, 7mm-08, 260, etc.

gerry35

WKR
hello everyone,

I am in the process of acquiring my first hunting rifle (graduation gift in May) and wanted to get some advice.

I live in PA and will primary be hunting deer. I would like to eventually hunt Elk and bigger game, however I feel by that point I will have the knowledge and money for a second rifle.

I am very open to a lot of suggestions, with my only main requirement being a threaded barrel as I am completing a Form 1 .30 cal can with my college roommates soon.

I was initially drawn to the Weatherby Vanguard, however was convinced by some to bite the bullet and jump to the Mark V which unfortunately is at the higher end of my range.

I am interested in Bergara as well, especially the B14 ridge as it checks all my boxes well.

i know people rave about Tikka but I never felt amazing about them

Finally, Christensen Arms would be great, but finding their rifles within my budget is like a scavenger hunt.

I am open to the used market so really its more market value than MSRP but either way, would love to hear the opinions of the older and wiser on the brand and caliber of choice for this situation. Thanks!
The guy who said go down to the gun shop and handle a bunch of different guys gave the best advise. I like Tikka but don't let anyone talk you into something you don't want. I would add the new Remington rifles to your list and Browning X Bolt. Weatherby makes a really nice rifle. A lightly used rifle can be excellent value and sometimes even comes with a good scope.

Last edited:
Another vote for tikka or browning xbolt in one of the 7mm or 300 magnums. Top it with a ziess v4 4-16 and should still be in your price range. Europtic ( also in PA) is a top notch seller and has that scope on sale for under $650 right now.

Machingeaneer

Lil-Rokslider
My dad had a Browning A-Bolt when I was growing up and the short bolt lift has become a requirement for me. That extra room between the bolt and the scope is so nice. Play with scoped rifles if you can.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
As somebody who personally owns a Christensen and is still using that rifle, get the tikka. The action on the CA is garbage compared to the tikka and it will be something you can build on later.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I wish I had bought a Tikka back in 2010 when I bought a rifle for the first time. I've been through 6 hunting rifles before I finally came back around and now own two Tikkas (stainless lite models that are cut and threaded). The upside is I now know for sure I like Tikkas and am unlikely to sell them to try something else.

Tikkas are ugly, they have plenty of minor things that don't really matter wrong (only one action length, ugly, single stack magazine, plastic bits), but they work.

I would not buy Christiansen again, over priced and under crafted. The Bargara I have handled does not impress me, but I have not owned one.

A threaded barrel should be very low on the list of deciding factors, it is easy to have that done and get a custom barrel length out of it.

6.5 CM is the easy cartridge choice in the factory Tikkas. I have a 308, and if I had it to do over would have gotten a 6.5. However, as I plan on barreling the 308 to something smaller, I'm not limited to factory options and will probably get something other than a 6.5 CM, perhaps a 6.5x55 Swede.

OP
CliffordOM
Well, it seems I either stumbled onto the TikkaLovers com forum, or maybe I undervalued them initially. I will be spending some time handling one next weekend, maybe the action and trigger is enough to make up for being ugly and unthreaded. will report back.

eric1115

WKR
Well, it seems I either stumbled onto the TikkaLovers com forum, or maybe I undervalued them initially. I will be spending some time handling one next weekend, maybe the action and trigger is enough to make up for being ugly and unthreaded. will report back.
Some of it is not stuff you're going to get handling in a store.

The triggers are very good in terms of feel, weight, etc but if you're comparing to a Rem 700 based trigger what you won't feel in the store is reliability (especially in inclement weather, dust, etc).

You won't feel the feeding and general reliable functioning (extract, eject, etc). That cheap feeling plastic factory magazine works so much better than most factory DBM's.

You won't feel all the ways the manufacturing tolerances benefit you vs other factory rifles. Yes, the bolt runs smooth and doesn't bind, but dimensions are set so consistently that you can swap bolts and barrels without changing headspace.

TaperPin

WKR
This will be very much like a first girlfriend, or first car - don’t feel like it has to be perfect because no matter what you think of it today, in a year you will want something else. My advice is to get a good used 243, shoot the hell out of it, sell it in a few years for what you paid, and buy something closer to what you really like.

TaperPin

WKR
Yes, this is very much the Tikka fan boy club. Lol

Try not to look at the plastic parts. Lol

They are good rifles, or they wouldn’t be as popular as they are across the planet, but they must be an acquired taste - I pick one up, then see a Remington across the room and want it more. Lol

bnsafe

WKR
tikka compact in 243 with the 1 8 twist, drop a stockys carbon fiber on it, thread it, and have a rifle to hunt with for the rest of your life. with the money you will save put a trijicon huron, credo, or accupoint on it and sportmatch rings and you will be set.
I also didnt like the tikkas. I held them in gun stores alot, worked the action, etc and just couldnt get into them. Then I bought one mainly cause of price and magazine and I love it. Mine happens to be in 308 but it kicks way more than the bergara it replaced, mainly due to weight. absolute dream to carry around in the deer woods of mo.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
8 twist 243 tikka is a perfect first rifle. Low recoil won't create bad habits and readily available ammo. Wouldn't feel under-gunned in the slightest in the elk woods with a 108 eldm or similar.

ptpalpha

FNG
FNG to Rokslide here, but lifelong Michigan deer hunter (58 now). I'm going to assume Michigan and PA have similar whitetail conditions, so that's what my recommendations are based upon.
I don't own a Tikka, and to be completely honest Rokslide is the only place I've found with an active, growing, and rabidly (almost feral) protective group of Tikka owners. It bears looking into, and I'm learning as I go.
Also going to assume that $1500 is rifle and glass, but obviously not including the suppressor.
No brand suggestions, just advice here:
1. Spend more on the scope than the rifle.
2. See #1. Repeat it to yourself. In this price bracket it's not negotiable.
3. Buy the rifle used...IF you know what to look for. If you're not absolutely confident in your ability to recognize both hidden gems and hidden lemons in the gun rack you should bring along someone you trust. Otherwise buy new.
4. If you don't reload choose a cartridge that you can find locally. In a bind this can make or break a hunt. Otherwise prepare to stock up once you determine the rifle's favorite round.
5. If your conditions are like mine, a 200 yard shot is either across a farm field or it doesn't exist, lol. No reason for a magnum. (There are spots where the Rem 1100 is still my go-to).
Choose your caliber accordingly.
6. After purchase things to keep in mind.
Length of pull can be made longer with recoil pads/spacers, etc, but shorter can only be achieved with a saw.
Triggers and actions can be smoothed or at least made smoother by polishing mating surfaces, however again: know what you're doing or have someone more qualified do this work. (Same for chopping the barrel).
So there ya go. Have fun. I'm envious: what you're doing is one of my favorite things in life...the planning, scheming, and research phase of the Next Firearm Purchase.

Fubijar

FNG
I’m in NE Ohio, and was in a similar position, with the caveat of being limited to straight wall. Got tired of trying to pick and built an AR in 350, which filled the freezer and was very cheap, topped with a 2.5x PA Prism. Like $700 all in and a bunch of left over funds for other stuff. Plenty of cartridges available to slap together to fit any needs, and ARs are stupid easy to assemble

I have a Howa Mini action in 6.5G that would also make a lot of sense, as it is very light and accurate in a cartridge that is excellent for white tail, and could be easily stretched to larger game. Availability of ammo locally sucks, though. I grabbed this for my occasional WV hunting trips

Like others have said though you really can’t go wrong (or at least it is hard to) these days. Handle some and buy a good scope and shoot it a bunch.