McGowen vs X-Caliber for Budget Build

I'm rebarreling my rifle after I accidentally damaged the rifling substantially. It's a Mossberg Patriot. Since it's a budget rifle and my first rebarrel, I'm going with a budget barrel brand. I'm looking at X-Caliber and McGowen right now. Which would you choose? They're within $30 of each other when optioned as I want. I've decided on rebarreling instead of buying a new rifle as I can't spend the cash on a new rifle of the quality that I want, but a new barrel (plus related tools that I would need) is doable. I also have wanted to get into gunsmithing more, and a prefit Savage-style barrel setup as the Mossberg has seems like a good start for learning.

So, McGowen or X-Caliber?

I have three re-barrelled guns, all built with budget in mind. 2 have X-calibers that are very accurate. My third has a Preferred barrel, x-caliber didn’t offer the chambering I wanted and Preferred’s price point was similar. The only differences I would point out is that Preferred’s markings are better/fancier but x-caliber’s turn around time was a lot better in the order.

If buying a prefit stay far far away from McGowen.

I have one from both companies. The McGowen had to be sent back and fixed. There are threads on every forum about junk McGowen prefits.

The Xcaliber I haven’t shot enough. The little I have shot it I was happy with it.

A flip of the coin between the two. I have an x caliber in 260ai I have had an issue with headspacing.

Sounds like there can be issues with pre fits across the 2 and others. Might look at getting a cheap blank that is contoured and have someone just spin it up for you to know for certain it will be good.

Look at wilson too if you go blank.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Xcaliber, Criterion, Preferred, they are all about as good as each other. I just got a Preferred barrel and they seem a bit better. Have had a couple Xcaliber and friends have had some too. All very good. I had one McGowan that shot as good as any another, but have seen the problem threads too.

Update?

Im looking for a 300nm barrel for my savage. PBB charges for lapping, Shillen and Criterion don't offer 300nm. Leaves mcgowan and xcalibur.

Last edited:

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Update?

Im looking for a 300nm barrel for my savage. PBB carges for lapping, Shillen and Criterion don't offer 300nm. Leaves mcgowan and xcalibur.
I did a TON of research a few months ago and went with x caliber. I think I got an email yesterday that they have 20% off right now. I don't have any personal experience with either yet but xcaliber and preferred were the top 2 with the current wait times and reviews and I chose x caliber on black Friday due to price lapped (I got a blank and the smith is blueprinting/ chambering/ threading)

OP
J
Update?

Im looking for a 300nm barrel for my savage. PBB carges for lapping, Shillen and Criterion don't offer 300nm. Leaves mcgowan and xcalibur.
I got the barrel on in November and am still breaking it in I think. It seems to have a fairly tight chamber, as factory Hornady 145 gr. 270 Win requires a bit of pressure to close the bolt, but no pressure signs after shooting. Groups seem to be getting tighter as well. I can't say the actual group size yet, but I think it's going to settle around 1" at 100. I've got probably around 100 rounds down the barrel now. For the price, I think it's going to be decent.

Attachments

• 20231216_155149.jpg
    20231216_155149.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 24
I got the barrel on in November and am still breaking it in I think. It seems to have a fairly tight chamber, as factory Hornady 145 gr. 270 Win requires a bit of pressure to close the bolt, but no pressure signs after shooting. Groups seem to be getting tighter as well. I can't say the actual group size yet, but I think it's going to settle around 1" at 100. I've got probably around 100 rounds down the barrel now. For the price, I think it's going to be decent.
As you know, with the barrel nut you can put the headspace anywhere you want it. I set my ackley tight so I didn't have to jam the bullet. My 223 and 308 are not tight on the go gauge.

Thanks for the update.

OP
J
As you know, with the barrel nut you can put the headspace anywhere you want it. I set my ackley tight so I didn't have to jam the bullet. My 223 and 308 are not tight on the go gauge.

Thanks for the update.
I've got it set to where the bolt just barely starts to fall on the no-go gauge and it's still fairly tight on the go-gauge. I mainly handload for the rifle, so it's not too big a deal, but I thought it noteworthy at least.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had good experiences with a couple X-caliber and better with my one PBB.

I don’t think there is a huge difference given the technology and manufacturing processes these days. Even Savage makes a whole lot of good shooters.

Xcaliber says it laps before button rifling. Only bought barrel nut versions from Xcaliber and one barrel blank that I had a smith chamber.

I paid for PBB lapping and shouldered prefit for one barrel. The fit and finish of PBB is better to me than XCaliber. I liked the sandblasted finish and machine work. I felt like I got a gunsmithed barrel cause it headspaced perfectly.

I had good experiences with a couple X-caliber and better with my one PBB.

I don’t think there is a huge difference given the technology and manufacturing processes these days. Even Savage makes a whole lot of good shooters.

Xcaliber says it laps before button rifling. Only bought barrel nut versions from Xcaliber and one barrel blank that I had a smith chamber.

I paid for PBB lapping and shouldered prefit for one barrel. The fit and finish of PBB is better to me than XCaliber. I liked the sandblasted finish and machine work. I felt like I got a gunsmithed barrel cause it headspaced perfectly.
Thanks for the PBB reveiw.

I agree they all seem like about equal odds of good accuracy.

I had two re-barreled by McGowan, 270 Win and 300 H&H, they will both shoot half inch or better various loads, the 270 will put three 150 gr Hornady Interlocks in one hole . When you say budget what $$ do you have in mind?