First Rifle - 3k Budget

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I would get out and hit some gun shops and check out as many rifles as I could before I head down this rabbit hole. Lots of great options out there right now and handling as many rifles as possible will help you figure out what you like and what you don’t. Tikkas are great for the price so are Seekins, Weatherby, APR and on down the line. Find one that fits you and feels good “to you”. Best of luck on your search and keep us posted!

LightFoot

WKR
Appreciate all the responses. I was originally dead set on Tikka but then as I got more excited about things I started looking at other options which led me to spending more cash. May need to pull back a touch and focus on items like better a better scope/binos etc. What model Tikka would be a good platform to start with. Just the regular T3 Lite? Thanks again!
T3X Wideland Veil or Alpine Veil. It's cerakoted, good stock, threaded 5/8x24, and comes with a brake, not a really good brake, but at least an adequate one.

You can get one for under $1200 and it will take you from deer through elk.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

TheViking

WKR
Just put this together for $3k

Seekins Havak PH2 in 6.5 PRC
Trijicon TenMile HX 3-18 x 44 MOA FFP
Seekins Rings

Getting a custom fit Hawkins brake thrown on this week. Got a great deal on the gun ($1500) and the scope ($1299 -10% coupon from Sportsman’s) brake will add $230. $3k right on the dot.

4eff1655a3bb12d3c2528879e4234607.jpg

b22b773f40487af3b2174f9c2a5eaab7.jpg

OP
C
Yup, going to go with the consensus here and stick to a Tikka T3x Lite or the Seekins PH2. Also thinking the 7RM as I don’t want to be worried about finding ammo/reloading. @TheViking how do you like that scope? Was just researching scopes and have read good things about Trijicon. My other thought was Zeiss or NF. Thanks

TheViking

WKR
Yup, going to go with the consensus here and stick to a Tikka T3x Lite or the Seekins PH2. Also thinking the 7RM as I don’t want to be worried about finding ammo/reloading. @TheViking how do you like that scope? Was just researching scopes and have read good things about Trijicon. My other thought was Zeiss or NF. Thanks

So far I love it! Great glass, super functional, a touch lighter (24oz) than other similar scopes.

I’m not sure what that is supposed to mean? Everyone has different hunting styles and expectations when it comes to gear. I live and hunt in some of the deepest and steepest parts of the lower 48. If I don’t have a rifle and scope that can be accurate and repeatable well past 1k then it is no use to me. I understand that’s not for everyone. I don’t bash on others styles and wants. I don’t understand white tail hunting outa stands or under feeders etc but for some that’s life. I’m here to help someone and give my honest advice/opinion. He can do what he wants with that. Your advise seems well, not very helpful.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I’m not sure what that is supposed to mean? Everyone has different hunting styles and expectations when it comes to gear. I live and hunt in some of the deepest and steepest parts of the power 48. If I don’t have a rifle and scope that can be accurate and repeatable well past 1k then it is no use to me. I understand that’s not for everyone. I don’t bash on others styles and wants. I don’t understand white tail hunting outa stands or under feeders etc but for some that’s life. I’m here to help someone and give my honest advice/opinion. He can do what he wants with that. Your advise seems well, not very helpful.
Just guessing the average guy isn't shooting well past 1k. In your case, 5k may not do it. For the OP, unless otherwise disclosed, there is no need to spend that much.

Just guessing the average guy isn't shooting well past 1k. In your case, 5k may not do it. For the OP, unless otherwise disclosed, there is no need to spend that much.
While that is true. He stated in his OP he had 3k ish for a rifle and 2k ish for a scope and was talking about certain builds. This puts you in the realm of a semi custom that will do just that. I’m not saying he or anyone has to shoot at animals that far. That is up to an individual, skill and conditions. But doesn’t mean he or anyone doesn’t want a capable rifle and one you can practice with at distance. When you shoot for fun at LR it sure makes close really easy. Also this allows you to “grow” into it instead of wanting more 6 months down the road.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’m not sure what that is supposed to mean? Everyone has different hunting styles and expectations when it comes to gear. I live and hunt in some of the deepest and steepest parts of the power 48. If I don’t have a rifle and scope that can be accurate and repeatable well past 1k then it is no use to me. I understand that’s not for everyone. I don’t bash on others styles and wants. I don’t understand white tail hunting outa stands or under feeders etc but for some that’s life. I’m here to help someone and give my honest advice/opinion. He can do what he wants with that. Your advise seems well, not very helpful.

🤦‍♂️

That is EXTREMELY dependent on what your hunting/shooting style is. I’m not here to argue what is better, worse, ethical, etc. but for me 3k won’t do it.
I get what you’re saying. I’m not a long range hunter, so my expectations are being able to hit a pie plate out to about 400 yards. I can hit it out to 600, but not EVERY time. So, my limit is 400 and most factory rifles will do that and I don’t need to spend the money.

But, if you’re a dedicated long range hunter, the benefits of really high-end equipment can be realized because the time and effort has built the skill. In a way, the expenditure isn’t to satisfy the hunter as much as it is to eliminate variables that result in lost animals.

I was in the same situation end of last year. I have the T3x and just ordered an APR Mavrick that should be here in the next week or so. I could have got something a little more budget conscious but I wanted some higher end and wanted to give a small business my business. Nothing wrong with going the Tikka route.

I was in the same situation end of last year. I have the T3x and just ordered an APR Mavrick that should be here in the next week or so. I could have got something a little more budget conscious but I wanted some higher end and wanted to give a small business my business. Nothing wrong with going the Tikka route.
You should be happy with your APR. I have 4 of them in the safe. They all shoot very well. Heres a 3 shot sub .1 group from one of my 300wm’s. Their rifles are a great value.

Attachments

• CD215F22-DBEF-4CD4-8CCC-3E3FFF2AA8E1.jpeg
    CD215F22-DBEF-4CD4-8CCC-3E3FFF2AA8E1.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 38
To make a long story short, I have had a dedicated fishing obsession for the last 15 years and knew if I started down the path with the hunting community it would be a real slippery slope… well here I am. Shot my first deer this last year with a borrowed 270 and have been researching/obsessed ever since.

That brings me to this… looking at buying my first hunting rifle and have a 3k budget for just the rifle. I feel comfortable saying I have a 5k budget all in to give some reference. 3k seems like it is the real teetering point between custom and higher end production guns. I have researched a lot but, seekins, proof, and APR seem to have good feedback within the budget. My ideas for cartridge have been centered on 6.5PRC, 7RM, and 7Saum. Will be used for deer/elk. Appreciate all the posts so far, I have read what feels like thousands, but would love some feedback if you don’t mind. I live in Oregon. Thanks!
Wish granted:
Buy this:
Put this on it:

Rifle already comes with brass and dies, You'll have over $500 left for your press, a shell holder, 1k LR primers, 4lbs of H1000 powder and 500 Berger 140 Hybrids/Elite Hunters.

Just buy it right the first time. The 6.5 SAUM outruns the PRC, so why bother with it. Based on your personality, you're going to start reloading anyways because the factory ammo won't blow your skirt up when it comes to consistent accuracy.

Last edited:
When I caught the hunting bug, I went out out and bought a brand new rifle and scope that were relatively expensive (for me, not you). It’s works fine, but after several years of living with it and actually learning how I like to hunt and what I need, I’d make some different choices if I was to buy over again. You might consider a “starter” rifle to work the kinks out and learn what you really want before investing. I probably should have.

Also, before you jump on the .223 train as some have suggested, I think you can’t legally hunt elk with that caliber here in OR.

You should be happy with your APR. I have 4 of them in the safe. They all shoot very well. Heres a 3 shot sub .1 group from one of my 300wm’s. Their rifles are a great value.
I ended up ordering mine in Dec and a week after I did, my father ordered a classic hunter. I’m really stoked to get it. If I can shoot groups half as good as you have there I’ll be more than happy!!!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckaz34