Beat value base rifle for a “build”?

I’d like to “build” a new coyote/bobcat rifle for next year. I use the term lightly… a trigger swap and stock of choice are in the plans. I’ve had very good luck with my current 223 using 55gr Frontier HP Match being easy in fur. It would be hard for me to leave the 223 because of that…my current rifle is a Savage Axis which is phenomenally accurate but there is very little aftermarket support for triggers and stock upgrades, so it’ll be a gun for the kids now

My list of “requirements…
—Bolt Action
— ~ $500 gun budget, used is ok too
—decent aftermarket support so I can swap triggers and stocks
—60° bolt for clearance between optic and gloves
—threaded barrel is preferred but not a deal breaker

Some guns on the list are
—Ruger American series
—Tikka T3 and T3X (little over budget but that’s ok)
—Howa 1500 or Mini
—Weatherby Vanguard
—recommend some others too

I’m sure they are all just fine. Ultimately I’m looking for feedback on bad experiences with any of these so I can narrow my list

Last edited:
Tikka… you don’t need a trigger and a decent amount of stocks on the market and coming soon the rokstok. They don’t require any bedding and can be swapped/upgraded in the future if you want something different than your coyote gun.

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka is the only answer you’ll get here. I don’t have any evidence to the contrary though. They keep testing them in various ways and the Tikka’s keep winning out.

- don’t usually require bedding because of lug design
- still functional and safe in extreme cold and ice where Rem700’s aren’t
- doesn’t need an aftermarket trigger
- scope rings mount direct to dovetail on flat top action
- usually accurate enough
-smooth bolt with shorter throw than some

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Blued Tikka T3x Lite ($699 at Eurooptic, then $75 rebate until the end of the month, Gunzone deals are KYgunclub might have a better price, and rebate still applies). Start shooting and changes things as time and money allows. Sportsmatch T084 rings are about $40 and using the integrated rail. Airguns of Arizona gets them in, they were out of stock, so I ordered mine form Bushwear in the UK.

I think the Howa's are a bit limited on aftermarket support (don't have one, not looked deep into it), so check that you can actually get what you want.

You can have the barrel threaded at some point in the future, and cut to preferred length.

Kimber has terrible aftermarket support (and even terrible factory OEM support), of course they are not on your list.

Some people like their Rugers, I have no experience with their rifles. Check aftermarket support on them as well. I think @robtattoo has one as well as a few other people. I hear Ruger Americans and Vortex Diamondback scopes are a match made in heaven and one of @Formidilosus favorite combinations....... Now I will be waiting to be served for the libel lawsuit.

Every rifle I like more than a Tikka also costs more than a Tikka, so I will stick with Tikkas (though @fwafwow has the job of checking in and making sure I don't secretly by a Sako 90).

49ereric

WKR
I don't know a thing about tikka rifles.
Tikka magazine long enough for hand loaders?
Howa 1500 blind magazine long enough? Should be longer than the mini action but don’t know.
perhaps not an issue but info I would need to know first.

robtattoo

WKR
Blued Tikka T3x Lite ($699 at Eurooptic, then $75 rebate until the end of the month, Gunzone deals are KYgunclub might have a better price, and rebate still applies). Start shooting and changes things as time and money allows. Sportsmatch T084 rings are about $40 and using the integrated rail. Airguns of Arizona gets them in, they were out of stock, so I ordered mine form Bushwear in the UK.

I think the Howa's are a bit limited on aftermarket support (don't have one, not looked deep into it), so check that you can actually get what you want.

You can have the barrel threaded at some point in the future, and cut to preferred length.

Kimber has terrible aftermarket support (and even terrible factory OEM support), of course they are not on your list.

Some people like their Rugers, I have no experience with their rifles. Check aftermarket support on them as well. I think @robtattoo has one as well as a few other people. I hear Ruger Americans and Vortex Diamondback scopes are a match made in heaven and one of @Formidilosus favorite combinations....... Now I will be waiting to be served for the libel lawsuit.

Every rifle I like more than a Tikka also costs more than a Tikka, so I will stick with Tikkas (though @fwafwow has the job of checking in and making sure I don't secretly by a Sako 90).

I wouldn't beat a coyote to death with a Vortex scope. 🤣

The Ruger would serve you well, I really do like mine, but I've also invested enough into it that I could've just bought a Tikka & been done with it & I got mine for almost nothing.

I also have Tikkas & as both come from the factory, there's no comparison.

The stock american trigger is pretty well identical to your Axis. No worse, but definitely no better, so budget another $130 for a Timney. The action needs 4 or 5 hours of sanding & polishing to get it smooth ("zzzzt-zzzzt") The rotary magazines are just awful & make the Savage look like an AI by comparison & they're very short throated. Ok if you like 40s & 55s, but not great if you prefer 65gr+ & with the 1:8 twist, why wouldn't you?

Bottom line, buy the Tikka & save a bunch of work unless you're on a reeeeally strict budget.

I don't know a thing about tikka rifles.
Tikka magazine long enough for hand loaders?
Howa 1500 blind magazine long enough? Should be longer than the mini action but don’t know.
perhaps not an issue but info I would need to know first.
I would say for most people mag length isn’t an issue but could be. UM is making a bottom metal and mag that fits in standard bottom “metal” footprint and utilize the full length of the load port. They talk about it in this podcast.

fwafwow

WKR
Why hold back and just look at the 90? That 100 is calling your name.

sndmn11

WKR
Tikkas have the advantage of prefit shouldered barrels. For my vanguards a gunsmith is fitting them to my action. I am unsure about the Rugers. That adds a few hundred dollars to the cost of a new barrel.

I think there are plenty of stock and chassis choices for each.