Favorite Caliber (s)

So hear me out, if a man (or woman) were in this predicament, the better half probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the hole at the end of the barrel or an inch or two of barrel length. A safe is important here. Me, I'd go with the Winchester M70 EW SS with 22" Barrels (.243, 308, 270, 30-06) and the M70 Super Grade with 26" Barrels (.264WM, 7RM, 300WM, and .338WM). Here you give the illusion of only having two rifles. A good safe is key to this plan. She cannot know the combination so make it your mother's birthday as the woman in question will not have a clue. Also, each model rifle must be wearing the same scope across the board.

Playing by the rules of this wife in question with what I have I'd be keeping my Win M70 EW SS in .270 and my Ruger No. 1 in .375H&H then ask her to narrow down her wardrobe to two dresses, two workout outfits, and two around town outfits with one pair of shoes per category.

My 25-06 with an 80gr ttsx at 3770 for varmints to elk, and my 375 Ruger with 300gr game kings for anything else. Would probably switch to a mono bullet if headed after dangerous game though. The 375 is just so much fun to shoot! Puts a smile on my face every time. First game taken with that 375 were two antelope at 300 yards.

My 25-06 with an 80gr ttsx at 3770 for varmints to elk, and my 375 Ruger with 300gr game kings for anything else. Would probably switch to a mono bullet if headed after dangerous game though. The 375 is just so much fun to shoot! Puts a smile on my face every time. First game taken with that 375 were two antelope at 300 yards.
375s are incredibly fun. Probably the finest I've shot was a Chapuis double rifle. The guy had some car loads that have 38-55 performance. Did not expect to see that rifle at a range on the side of the road near Fairbanks. My No. 1 was definitely jealous.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

So hear me out, if a man (or woman) were in this predicament, the better half probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the hole at the end of the barrel or an inch or two of barrel length. A safe is important here. Me, I'd go with the Winchester M70 EW SS with 22" Barrels (.243, 308, 270, 30-06) and the M70 Super Grade with 26" Barrels (.264WM, 7RM, 300WM, and .338WM). Here you give the illusion of only having two rifles. A good safe is key to this plan. She cannot know the combination so make it your mother's birthday as the woman in question will not have a clue. Also, each model rifle must be wearing the same scope across the board.

Playing by the rules of this wife in question with what I have I'd be keeping my Win M70 EW SS in .270 and my Ruger No. 1 in .375H&H then ask her to narrow down her wardrobe to two dresses, two workout outfits, and two around town outfits with one pair of shoes per category.

My brother did that years ago. He had 5 or 6 identical A Bolts in different calibers with the same scope on each of them. He's divorced now though, so that might not be the best way to go.

My brother did that years ago. He had 5 or 6 identical A Bolts in different calibers with the same scope on each of them. He's divorced now though, so that might not be the best way to go.
I absolutely do not recommend this. I also don't recommend marrying a woman (or man) that will put limits on your hobbies. Keep you in check? Sure. My wife is pretty good about it as long as I don't go too crazy and she understands that gun money stays gun money so I'm free to trade or sell to buy another gun. I've picked up a few without telling her first but I had GunBroker on standby to show that I saved several hundred dollars. Like the SR1911 10mm I picked up for $400 dollars with two boxes of Buffalo Bore in the height of COVID.

.270 Winchester for all of the first category and most of the second category.

If I ever feel the need to go up I'm going way up. No 30 magnums, 33s, 35s or other halfway to heavy measures. If I'm going bigger than .270, I'm going .375 or better.

What rifle are you shooting the 375 Ruger?

What rifle are you shooting the 375 Ruger?
Left hand Ruger guide gun. I’m typically a traditional walnut stock guy but I really like the laminate. Taking it back country I figured keeping it pretty wasn’t worth the hassle. Purchased that rifle when headed to Idaho for a bear hunt and the wife said. What are you taking for grizzly protection, don’t you need something for that? I said yes, bought that and put at vx5 2-10 on it for close action. Also brought my .357 S&W, but if I’m ever in a bad situation I’ll empty the .375 first.

Back