Favorite Bourbon Opinions

Poser

WKR
Somebody needs to organize a Rokslide Virtual Happy Hour....or maybe a Bourbon Night. The sophisticates here could regurgitate terms of endearment like 'toasty'....'caramel corn'....'approachable'....and my favorite 'mouth feel'.

So long as we quality it as “Kentucky Straight Bourbon” night. If someone shows up with some abomination from Breckenridge claiming that it is “bourbon”, I’m out

Are you in Facebook or MeWe? If so, send my your name in a PM and I’ll add you to Alaskan Bourbon group.
I don't do either one of those. This site and the outdoor forum are pretty much my only forms of social media. If you ever get the low down on any good deals going on in southcentral and don't mind sending me a PM, I'd sure appreciate it.

When space is valuable, I like:
Maker Mark Cask Strength (110 proof)
Knob Creek (100 proof)

Buying Tip - weird as it may be, Whole Foods has silly cheap deals on Makers Mark (regular) and Knob Creek, with Knob Creek in high $20's and Makers in low $20's, about 20-30% less than the local Safeway or other big supermarkets.

FYI - I have it on very good authority that Pappy's, Buffalo Trace and Willits are from the EXACT same batch, just with different levels of age and barrel choices.

OP
ShortMountain91
For those interested, here are the ones that have gotten at least 5 mentions by my rough count

Eagle Rare - 15
Buffalo Trace - 11
Wild Turkey 101 - 10
Knob Creek - 8
Basil Haydens - 8
Makers Mark - 7
Blanton's - 7
Woodford Reserve - 7
Four Roses Small Batch - 6

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

three5x5s

WKR
For sippin Four Roses, mixin Jim Beam ($22.00 a handle) high end Elmer T Lee. A couple of good ones I've tried lately, 1792 and OZ Tyler. 90% of bourbon is made within 50 miles if my house, lots of choices.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
You must live in Gods country, near me!!

Tick

WKR
Reading this has made me thirsty.
When I go cheap it is Jim Beam, EG Small Batch, or Wellers depending on the day. Too many good ones between $40-$70 to list.

Mosby

WKR
I have a few bourbons I really like and I stocked up on them. I have several Henry McKenna's bought before it became popular. I have several bottles of Evan Williams from 2004 that was a private selection of Sam's Clubs in Missouri and I have several 12 year old Elijah Craig I got before they changed the label. I can survive quite nicely with these 3 bourbons for the rest of my life. I drank all my Blanton's. Wish I had bought more when I could get them at Walmart.

I also have an opened bottle of Elmer T. that I think is over rated but keep around just to say I have one.

Poser

WKR
For those interested, here are the ones that have gotten at least 5 mentions by my rough count

Eagle Rare - 15
Buffalo Trace - 11
Wild Turkey 101 - 10
Knob Creek - 8
Basil Haydens - 8
Makers Mark - 7
Blanton's - 7
Woodford Reserve - 7
Four Roses Small Batch - 6

Eagle rare: wall tent + horses. Shoulder mounts galore.

Buffalo Trace: truck campers. Economy gear. Budget conscious yet highly motivated. Mystery Ranch kinda guy. Euro mount.

Wild Turkey: true grit, backpack hunters.

Knob Creek: occasional spike camp, but really truck campers with nice bivy gear.

Makers Mark: Sitka gear head to toe including the backpack. Swears that Mountain House tastes great in the backcountry.

Blanton’s: Boutique brand gear snobs. Lots of Cuben Fiber. Frame and pack are 2 different brands. Hammock because they can’t lower themselves to sleep on the ground.

Woodford Reserve: I also play golf. In fact, if I had to chose, it would be golf. If you ask my opinion on gear, it will include the phrase “hands down”

Four Roses: wife doesn’t let you hunt near enough. you have a secret PayPal account. Definitely prefer solids over camo. Wears PFG shirts casually.

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
Under 30. Elijah Craig small batch
Over 30. An old bottle of 18yo Elijah single barrel has major sentimental effects because it was my first good bourbon from my dad.

Most of the time I'm sticking to sub or near $30 bottles but I did just get a bottle of iron root harbinger for $60 that is making me really enjoy something different.

OP
ShortMountain91
Buffalo Trace: truck campers. Economy gear. Budget conscious yet highly motivated. Mystery Ranch kinda guy. Euro mount.

BT is my go to and I got the euro mount elk skull packed out on the MR on day 8 of the 10 day season to prove it! Actually surprised at the accuracy

Buffalo Trace and Makers are my daily drinkers. Knob Creek is in there as well.

Favorite is Stagg Jr, but it is hard to get here in Idaho, so when I see it I pick up a bottle or 2.

Makers. Bin 46 for special occasions.

I have tried some high dollar stuff and there is a lot to say for it, but I always come back to Makers.

Wapiti1

WKR
Heaven Hill Green Label (at least it used to have a green label, haven't bought it in a while). You have to buy it at the distillery. Very good for $30.

Peerless Double Oak Bourbon would be another that I like a lot in the $30 area. Their white is excellent if you visit them. Their rye is OK, but not my favorite.

Jeremy

renagde

WKR
Bulleit, Eagle Rare, and Elijah Craig are usually in my rotation for "cheap" whiskey.

Bulleit 10 year, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, and Basil Hayden in my mid range. I picked up a handle of Stoll and Wolfe recently, it's a micro distillery in my area. Damn fine for $50.

BowTrout

Lil-Rokslider
Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, and Benchmark. Benchmark is a great budget friendly bourbon and is great with a little ginger ale.. I would like to try Blantons, Elmer T Lee and of course Pappy's but that's probably just a dream...