Exo Mountain K4?

Picked up the rifle carrier in the shop. I’m also in the crowd that wants quick attach. I have a slik sling, so I’m gonna mess around with using the slik upper and the Exo lower and see how that feels/works.

ChrisAU

WKR
I have an extra Kifaru gun bearer upper piece I plan to experiment with - for when I want to forward carry, and for when I take the rifle off for some reason but don't want to take the pack off to stow it away. I've used them for 5 years now so forward carry doesn't bother me but I have absolutely found times that I wished it wasn't in the way of my arm and vision. 0.65 oz penalty to have both options available at the same time.

Picked up the rifle carrier in the shop. I’m also in the crowd that wants quick attach. I have a slik sling, so I’m gonna mess around with using the slik upper and the Exo lower and see how that feels/works.
I was thinking about making something similar to the Slik upper to do the same. My only concern was that it doesn't seem quite as secure and the cam buckle could be accidentally released. May try one with a side release buckle....

I was thinking about making something similar to the Slik upper to do the same. My only concern was that it doesn't seem quite as secure and the cam buckle could be accidentally released. May try one with a side release buckle....
Just tried it. It works, but it’s a little wonky to get the rifle butt into the elastic holder and because of where the stock is placed it does lean the rifle slightly forward into your shoulder. I understand the elastic and I like the idea for security, but for the quick attach it would be much easier with a bucket style to fit the stock into. I am intrigued in your side release, let me know if you figure something out.

Just tried it. It works, but it’s a little wonky to get the rifle butt into the elastic holder and because of where the stock is placed it does lean the rifle slightly forward into your shoulder. I understand the elastic and I like the idea for security, but for the quick attach it would be much easier with a bucket style to fit the stock into. I am intrigued in your side release, let me know if you figure something out.
Thanks for the quick feedback! I figured there might be issues with the angle pushing the rifle into your shoulder. I made a Gun Bearer style bucket that attaches to the same point as the Nalgene holder, but forgot about it until now. Maybe that would work better. Regardless, I have the Exo Rifle Carrier on order to try out.

@rclouse79 this is what I had in mind.

After I whipped this up, I realized I probably didn't need to add the extra top attachment like the Nalgene holder has, since it seems to be for adding extra stability at the opening of the holder. I also should have tapered off the bottom Hypalon.

Oh well, I think it will function alright once I make the bottom piece. I'm thinking two 1" piece of webbing attached to a Kifaru-style buttstock holder.

View attachment 537860

View attachment 537861

I’ve been using the gun bearer for years on my k2’s and k3’s. I need to play with it on the k4 but I think there is fitment problems? Will probably order a couple of the exo slings for our new k4’s and try to run a combo/hybrid kit for forward and side carry. I need to get it figured out before season

MTFred

FNG
Man, I tell ya, the boys at Exo are fire!!! Ordered at 8am and got the your package has shipped with tracking by 1pm. Absolutely best CS hands down. Thanks guys!!!

Anyone know if the k4 stash pockets fit a k3 bag? I am thinking about picking up a K3 bag for a kifaru frame I already have and want to use the k4 stash pockets back and forth.

eltaco

WKR
Put me on the list of those who ordered a gun holder and orange lid today. Both super useful additions and I’m looking forward to packing them around in just over a month on a father-son elk hunt!

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Anyone know if the k4 stash pockets fit a k3 bag? I am thinking about picking up a K3 bag for a kifaru frame I already have and want to use the k4 stash pockets back and forth.
Pretty sure they are the same pocket. I'm using the stash pockets from my K3 in my K4.

MHWASH

WKR
Taking the pack off to re-attach the rifle was necessary if we wanted to design the K4 Rifle Carrier in a way that kept the rifle as secure as possible. For us, the absolute security of the rifle was certainly a priority, then the quick-access usability, and re-attachment was low on the list. It is certainly easy to have a buddy you're hunting with re-attach the rifle, if you're with someone. Otherwise quickly taking the pack off to secure the rifle is pretty quick and painless.

And you will want to run the Nalgene Holder on the opposite side of the rifle when using our Rifle Carrier.
I understand putting the nalgene holder on the opposite side of the rifle holder, but I usually carry two sometime three nalgenes. So I wonder how the carrier works when the pack isn't "nicely" shaped. For reference, my pack is ready to go for a three day bear hunt this weekend. IMG_1886.JPG

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Super fast shipping, here 48 hours after ordering. Thanks exo, more well made gear.

Initial fiddling report- reaching back to unbuckle is somewhat awkward, but something I can get used to. I can almost unbuckle by reaching across with my left hand as well, though my pack is loaded with 2 25 lb dumbbells, not full volume so that may change things.

Also dumb newbie question- when using a rifle carrier like this, do you all generally forgoe a rifle sling as well? Feels like it may get in the way but may be nice to have either option. I dunno, I need to carry less in general so perhaps that's one of the things to lose.

Last edited:
Super fast shipping, here 48 hours after ordering. Thanks exo, more well made gear.

Initial fiddling report- reaching back to unbuckle is somewhat awkward, but something I can get used to. I can almost unbuckle by reaching across with my left hand as well, though my pack is loaded with 2 25 lb dumbbells, not full volume so that may change things.

Also dumb newbie question- when using a rifle carrier like this, do you all generally forgoe a rifle sling as well? Feels like it may get in the way but may be nice to have either option. I dunno, I need to carry less in general so perhaps that's one of the things to lose.
I’d drop the sling. But I like things as simple as possible

waldo9190

WKR
Ordered my 2200 on Tuesday evening, made it to northern MN on Friday afternoon. This is going to be an absolute cats meow whitetail bag!

Digging my 2200 and rifle carrier! It works a bit better with some stuff in the bag so the side strap is long enough to allow the rifle strap to be tight.

I got it working with a bipod/strap as well. You can get the buckle to sit over the bipod so I think it will help protect the stock a little. It’s a little more difficult to get off with a bipod on, but doable.

2200 bag is awesome!

So far I’m digging it!

PhqWQhfh.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
Hey would it be possible to post up the "inside diameter" of the bucket, looking to see if it will fit an Ag composite hunter stock. Thanks

Hey would it be possible to post up the "inside diameter" of the bucket, looking to see if it will fit an Ag composite hunter stock. Thanks
I didn't measure the bucket, but I can tell you my rifle stock is 5 1/8" tall and 1 3/4" wide at widest point, and fits pretty snug. Let me know if you want me to post some actual bucket dimensions, but it gets a little squirrelly since it's an elastic oval and it's hard to get consistent measurements.