Exo Mountain K4?

How/what did you attach to do forward carry? Did you use your old kifaru stuff?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Yeah, kifaru universal with the Velcro threaded through the Nalgene molle

Ordered a rifle carrier this morning so when it shows up I’m hoping I can figure out a way to make it work for me

What size are you @Coveyleader ?
Since @KickinNDishin is reviewing the Women's 5k pack and the kid chose the 2k pack as her late Mother's Day present, we have two packs and one frame.

I've thought about ordering a frame for myself, and almost did over the weekend, but if we match in size needs it might push me over the hump. I'd likely be a large and 26.5" stay.

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't know my size, I need to look at their site. I'm 6"2 190ish looking most likely at the 5k size pack.

Send me a DM so I don't sound too stupid in pubic!

ChrisAU

WKR
Got a big box of goodies today, this thing is a work of art. Fit and finish are just a notch above. Put a 40 lb salt bag in it and walked around and it’s just a different feel, the waist belt fits me perfect. Doing stadiums with it in the morning. Glad a buddy talked me into taking a deeper look into them!

Got a big box of goodies today, this thing is a work of art. Fit and finish are just a notch above. Put a 40 lb salt bag in it and walked around and it’s just a different feel, the waist belt fits me perfect. Doing stadiums with it in the morning. Glad a buddy talked me into taking a deeper look into them!
My feelings exactly, the k4 is just a different level of hunting packs. They just get better too as they break in and form to your build

Trekker

FNG
Can anyone with experience with kifaru comment on belt sizing with the switch to K4. I've used a kifaru for years and have always used a small belt. Looking at the kifaru and exo waist belt charts they look similar for the small and medium sizes. My iliac crest measurement at 35.5 puts me in the medium range for K4. Also, I wear a 34 waist pant.
Curious the size differences between K4 and kifaru belts and what small waist belt kifaru users have gone with that have switched over.

Thanks

twall13

WKR
Can anyone with experience with kifaru comment on belt sizing with the switch to K4. I've used a kifaru for years and have always used a small belt. Looking at the kifaru and exo waist belt charts they look similar for the small and medium sizes. My iliac crest measurement at 35.5 puts me in the medium range for K4. Also, I wear a 34 waist pant.
Curious the size differences between K4 and kifaru belts and what small waist belt kifaru users have gone with that have switched over.

Thanks
I have a small Kifaru and small Exo K4. I'm a 32" waist for reference. I'd follow Exo's guidelines and if it doesn't work for you they would gladly swap belts for you. They are great to work with and want you to be happy.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
I fit well in a kuiu attack 32 and a medium stone glacier dehaviland. I run a small belt on both my kifaru and exo k4. If I was any larger in the waist, I would step up to a medium belt on both. I feel like I am on the upper end of the small belts. Still have a few inches to cinch down with heavy loads, but the hips pads don’t wrap very far around the front.

DRUSS

WKR

Thanks
Well, I am a 33" carhart,kuiu first lite,levi,Sitka waist. wear a small/ medium Kifaru they made for me . My k4 is a medium, which my k3 and k2 were from exo. My hips are mostly nonexistent. As the k3 was great until 70+ pounds and wasn't really uncomfortable. But never would stay up where was needed. Sounds like a few people had that issue. My k4 hasn't had the miles yet but I've worn 35#-95# now and had over 70 mi of 75# or more. My k4 holds much different than my k2 or k3. I really like how it caries and wears while hiking. I don't feel like I am in constant adjustment needed type mode. Hopefully this adds a little to what you may be looking for?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Put 8 miles on the K4 with a decent load, pack performed great. The hip belt required almost no adjustment once the pack was on. Ground was gently rolling artic tundra covered in tussocks and artic bogs. Not the worst country, but not easy walking either. The load did not shift around.

About 7 miles of that was with camp, front and rear quarter, skull, and backstraps/neck meat/brisket/heart.

Attachments

• 20230809_155437.jpg
    20230809_155437.jpg
    824.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 20230810_105414.jpg
    20230810_105414.jpg
    797 KB · Views: 116
  • 20230810_141938.jpg
    20230810_141938.jpg
    824.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Trekker

FNG
I ordered up a K4 5000 with a 25" frame. Pretty stoked. Ive been a diehard kifaru user for 10 years, love the frame but never been a fan of the floppy bags and I can no longer justify the 30% markup on price. The K4 seems to have all the traits I love about the kifaru but with a cleaner design.
This thread has been awesome to follow, kind of reminds me of the early kuiu days with Jason and the blog. Great job Exo.

sr80

WKR
I ordered up a K4 5000 with a 25" frame. Pretty stoked. Ive been a diehard kifaru user for 10 years, love the frame but never been a fan of the floppy bags and I can no longer justify the 30% markup on price. The K4 seems to have all the traits I love about the kifaru but with a cleaner design.
This thread has been awesome to follow, kind of reminds me of the early kuiu days with Jason and the blog. Great job Exo.
Good choice!!

rclouse79

WKR

Thanks
I had the medium kifaru belt and by the end of hunting season the belt didn’t have enough range to cinch down as much as I wanted. At the exo shop they initially thought I might be a medium, but it seemed like I was going to run into the same problem. I got a small and it seems like it is going to be perfect.

Trekker

FNG
I had the medium kifaru belt and by the end of hunting season the belt didn’t have enough range to cinch down as much as I wanted. At the exo shop they initially thought I might be a medium, but it seemed like I was going to run into the same problem. I got a small and it seems like it is going to be perfect.
I had the same issue with the medium kifaru belt. Exos charts put me at bottom range of the medium, but I opted for a small.

lintond

WKR
Two of us here in the office have bad shoulders and we are still able to reach it no problem. I'm sure it won't work for every single person out there but the vast majority won't have an issue

Yes you do have to take the pack off to reattach, there just isn't any way I could design this to attach directly to the pack / frame and be able to do that while wearing the pack. Ideally that wouldn't be the case but to me it's a pretty small nuisance that I would only have to deal with a handful of times on a hunt.

After receiving my rifle sling here are my thoughts for those looking to purchase.

It was easy to mount & I appreciated the QR code to watch the video. As with all my Exo purchases the quality is great & shipping is always quick.

The bucket is snug with the elastic band, which is unique compared to the SG & Kifaru options I’ve tried before. It keeps the stock secure in the sling, but does add resistance if quickly deploying.

I did have some challenges with quickly finding the buckle to release the rifle. I am a very inflexible person so I had to really try to get my hand up there then find it with my fingers. I’d consider myself an outlier here.

I personally will be looking at this setup for hunts where I don’t plan to be still hunting. The deployment is just not as smooth as front carry with my Kifaru, and being unable to put the rifle back in the sling with pack on limits my use cases. Basically if I’m looking to replace a sling I’ll go front carry. If I just want my rifle secure but accessible without taking the pack off I’ll use the Exo sling.

A great product that I’d say fits the goals that Steve outlined. It’s pretty hard to be all things to everybody. Im happy with my purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk