Exo Mountain K4?

Ok I am in need of input. This will be my first and maybe only really nice pack. I am looking at the 5000 and the 7200. The only dimensions that are different are the height by 4” and the depth by 3.5”. Weight for all practical purposes is the same. 1. Will the top of the 7200 roll down to the height of the 5000?
2. Is the absence of the horseshoe zipper on the 7200 anything to put much thought into?
3. Is there any reason not to step up to the 7200 if your looking at the 5000 or is there a big enough difference it could be an issue?
4. Will you be able to buy multiple packs to use on one frame?

The pack will be used for day hunts, packing out elk, bear, and deer, training and hauling things. A do all pack.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ok I am in need of input. This will be my first and maybe only really nice pack. I am looking at the 5000 and the 7200. The only dimensions that are different are the height by 4” and the depth by 3.5”. Weight for all practical purposes is the same. 1. Will the top of the 7200 roll down to the height of the 5000?
2. Is the absence of the horseshoe zipper on the 7200 anything to put much thought into?
3. Is there any reason not to step up to the 7200 if your looking at the 5000 or is there a big enough difference it could be an issue?

The pack will be used for day hunts, packing out elk, bear, and deer, training and hauling things. A do all pack.

The short answer is typically no one ever complains about having more room. My issue with Exo's larger packs (K3 6400 and K4 7200) is it is deeper than wider. This means more weight will be further away from your back. The only reason I would go 7200 is if you are doing 10 plus day hunts or pack meat inside the bag. If you had a 7200-bag full and used load shelf for meat you would feel very top heavy wanting to fall backwards. Also, you need to be more diligent on strap management when day hunting. Meaning if you do not suck the 7200 bag tighter to frame, all your day gear would just end up at the bottom making it kinda feel like a bowling ball at the bottom.

I also like the long side zip better than horseshoe, but its not a big deal as I probably will end up with a 5000.

All the packs compress to the same basic size
Horseshoe and one inside pocket is the main design difference.
The 7200 is BIG! You probably don't need that much room and it's a little more work to use than a properly sized pack.

All the packs fit all the frames

How many auto locking buckles come with the new K4? How many would you guys recommend adding on and why? Just looking for some insight.

Cheers,
Phil

How many auto locking buckles come with the new K4? How many would you guys recommend adding on and why? Just looking for some insight.

Cheers,
Phil
It either comes with one set or none. I would put them on the top side straps only. They're a little bit heavier and typically the only ones that have ever slipped on me are the top ones when I have a rifle attached. I think they're only a few bucks to add.

Awesome. I like this genuinely explain response.

I am admittedly just mostly thinking of hunting big game, and making some pretty big hikes to do it. But I also do plenty of 10-15 mile camera days and what not with my smaller bag and never thought twice about it honestly.

I mean, I would probably buy a small hiking pack if they made one for just checking cameras also. But I would consider that a day “hiking” pack. And I’m sure it would be very nice to have. I wouldn’t use it for hunting though. But that is obviously just my personal opinion and views. If I’m trying to kill something, I would like the ability to carry it out also, if I do kill.

I just view EXO as a legit hunting pack company. And that’s all I expect from them. The best, most capable, hunting packs. Anything lighter, smaller, weaker than what they have now, would be less capable. But I guess it would be more convenient for some people and their needs/wants.

Thank you for the thorough response 👍🏼
I feel similar. There are tons of day bag only options and if not pushing the weight, pocket layout is really all there is to design. Like a duffle bag, there is no reason for Exo to make it and I appreciate Exo's purpose driven mission too much to want them to start making such things.

I personally prefer the horseshoe zipper because i like being able to load my pack with my most needed items towards the mid/top of the zipper and can easily zip down to grab them. Also it makes organizing and visualizing everything in your pack easier to access and set up. With the side zip you’re just kind of shoving stuff in and it ends up wherever.

Personally I can’t ever see a use for a 7200 bag. The 4800 was big for me even and I don’t think I ever had a hunt where I was “fully loaded.” But I also don’t do 10+ day hunts… so take that at it’s worth.

Yes, you can put any pack on the frame. I’ve been debating about getting the small 1800-2000 size bag when it comes out or just fashioning up that new molle crib panel with some pouches and a lid to act as a day pack for turkey/whitetail/meat recovery/scouting/ect.

I don't remember if this was covered but is there a break-up of the capacities of the pockets? How much of the cubic inches are the two side pockets vs the main bag?

You already have some good input from guys, but to answer from our perspective — nothing you said makes me think the 7200 is what you need. The K4 5000 is the best "do it all" pack for what you said you will be doing. Even though the 7200 is just slightly heavier/expensive, it is a BIG step up in capacity and we don't recommend getting that big of a bag unless you truly need it.

well dang, with the recent chatter and photos now i'm reconsidering the 7200 and thinking the 5000 is best. it would mostly be a 2-3 day pack, but also future-proofing for some 7-12 day expeditions, perhaps 5k is best for now and i could buy a second bag in a few years. decisions, decisions.

well dang, with the recent chatter and photos now i'm reconsidering the 7200 and thinking the 5000 is best. it would mostly be a 2-3 day pack, but also future-proofing for some 7-12 day expeditions, perhaps 5k is best for now and i could buy a second bag in a few years. decisions, decisions.

If you like the simplicity of just loading meat right into the bag and getting a little better overall weight distribution then consider the 7200. Otherwise the 5000 or 3600 will be just fine if you’re smart about what you’re packing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back