Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

Haven’t had time to shoot for a couple of weeks. I changed rings and mounts on my Kimber recently. That fixes the ejection issues I was having with the Leupold mounts. Tested a new magazine with no feeding issues.

Shot a round, adjusted and shot 10 more. After zero, I shot 10 seated, over trekking poles.

View attachment 765637

Still trending a little high, although I shot another group prone with the bipod after this and ended up adjusting down .2 mil for zero.

This is my position. Feel free to critique. @mxgsfmdpx @PNWGATOR @Formidilosus

View attachment 765638

I've been doing the same (trend high). Need to shoot more to understand if i'm dropping at the shot or if my trigger press is pulling the POA up. It does feel like my trigger press is a little aggressive once the sites settle - feels a bit like "target panic" with archery stuff.

I've been doing the same (trend high). Need to shoot more to understand if i'm dropping at the shot or if my trigger press is pulling the POA up. It does feel like my trigger press is a little aggressive once the sites settle - feels a bit like "target panic" with archery stuff.
I’m about 99.99% positive mine is related to structure/base, or it’s the alignment of my trigger hand. Trigger press is surprise break every time.

It’s easy to try and time it and do a “drive by” when you’re doing positional shooting.

Mine is the opposite they always end up low during the drill I’m thinking it might be my rear support during recoil since it doesn’t show up on dry fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Gave this another go today. Worked on positions for a bit and then did the 4 position medley five times. Shot a 9 / 20 with many near misses. I have started to get pretty comfortable with prone and seated supported but man I hate the seated unsupported and off hand positions…

Attachments

• IMG_9129.png
    IMG_9129.png
    744.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9130.png
    IMG_9130.png
    734.6 KB · Views: 11

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
On another note, would love some advice from the group. For seated supported with front and rear rest I’m using hiking sticks in front and backpack to support my shooting arm. I c-camp the forend of the rifle with my support hand on the hiking sticks and feel this works well but I’m struggling with the rear rest. I’ve heard people describe “hugging” the backpack but can’t seem to get comfortable with that. Best setup I’ve found based on wobble zone and group size is to lay the backpack across my lap and tuck my shooting hand elbow into it for support, kind of like an enhanced seated unsupported position.

Any thoughts on ideal setup for front and rear rest in a seated position?

SouthPaw

WKR
On another note, would love some advice from the group. For seated supported with front and rear rest I’m using hiking sticks in front and backpack to support my shooting arm. I c-camp the forend of the rifle with my support hand on the hiking sticks and feel this works well but I’m struggling with the rear rest. I’ve heard people describe “hugging” the backpack but can’t seem to get comfortable with that. Best setup I’ve found based on wobble zone and group size is to lay the backpack across my lap and tuck my shooting hand elbow into it for support, kind of like an enhanced seated unsupported position.

Any thoughts on ideal setup for front and rear rest in a seated position?
Cant say if this style is ideal or right for the drill, but at least when shooting off a slope like often occurs when hunting mountains, I've found putting the pack upright under shooting arm to support the butt of the gun to be quite solid. Killed one of my elk last year like this.

211805.jpg

That said, I still prefer kneeling with front and rear rest over sitting if that option is available with the given environment. Have you given kneeling a try?