Enough gun?

$100 if you can get everyone on this thread to finally understand terminal ballistics.

The fact that some people willingly ignore hundreds of pages with kill pictures demonstrating the carnage of certain bullets points to a level of close mindedness that I'm not certain we will change...or Fudds gonna Fudd.

sharps54

FNG
I have lurked here for a while and am sold on the idea that one should look at what the bullet does on target instead of trying to meet a threshold of ‘x’ foot pounds of energy. I don’t have any problem with using small caliber, light recoiling cartridges to launch a bullet that will do the job in a hunting rifle. In fact my next hunting rifle will be a 6mm or 6.5 of some sort (23 caliber minimum in my state).

Where I am not sold, and I may have just not seen the right thread, is where this intersects with dangerous game, the difference being trying to stop an animal that is actively after you as opposed to hunting the animal that doesn’t see or is trying to get away from you.

We all know Phil Shoemaker killed a big bear with his 9mm but he didn’t stop, or even dissuade a charge with it, he was shooting it broadside and then as it fled. That tells me that a 9mm with enough penetration will kill a big bear but it doesn’t mean it is a good bear defense pistol.

Admittedly these are two different problems and in my mind need different solutions but it appears there are people here that seem comfortable hunting in areas with grizzly or brown bears with just that .223. My question is if that is because they are comfortable with the .223 for bear defense or if it is because they aren’t worried about the need for stopping a bear (as opposed to hunting one).

I hope all that makes sense, I am not trying troll.

KenLee

WKR
I have lurked here for a while and am sold on the idea that one should look at what the bullet does on target instead of trying to meet a threshold of ‘x’ foot pounds of energy. I don’t have any problem with using small caliber, light recoiling cartridges to launch a bullet that will do the job in a hunting rifle. In fact my next hunting rifle will be a 6mm or 6.5 of some sort (23 caliber minimum in my state).

Where I am not sold, and I may have just not seen the right thread, is where this intersects with dangerous game, the difference being trying to stop an animal that is actively after you as opposed to hunting the animal that doesn’t see or is trying to get away from you.

We all know Phil Shoemaker killed a big bear with his 9mm but he didn’t stop, or even dissuade a charge with it, he was shooting it broadside and then as it fled. That tells me that a 9mm with enough penetration will kill a big bear but it doesn’t mean it is a good bear defense pistol.

Admittedly these are two different problems and in my mind need different solutions but it appears there are people here that seem comfortable hunting in areas with grizzly or brown bears with just that .223. My question is if that is because they are comfortable with the .223 for bear defense or if it is because they aren’t worried about the need for stopping a bear (as opposed to hunting one).

I hope all that makes sense, I am not trying troll.
He who purposefully hunts dangerous game with a 22 caliber deserves to be eaten.
That said, I'd be ok with a 22-250 spraying 60 gr Partitions.

sharps54

FNG
He who purposefully hunts dangerous game with a 22 caliber deserves to be eaten.
That said, I'd be ok with a 22-250 spraying 60 gr Partitions.
The .22-250 with the right bullet will do the job hunting the bear, that has been shown in other threads, the issue is when it’s hunting you so to speak.

I readily admit to having no experience hunting bears or shooting at one running at me but from all accounts getting that perfect shot is a heck of a lot harder than when it is standing still.

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a 6mm-06 to fit in - I thought we were buddies?!?
I’ll be curious how you like that cartridge. I have an early 80s 30-06 that my dad gave me, and have been thinking about rebarreling to 6mm-06 for a couple years now. Just hasn’t been top priority.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ll be curious how you like that cartridge. I have an early 80s 30-06 that my dad gave me, and have been thinking about rebarreling to 6mm-06 for a couple years now. Just hasn’t been top priority.
I’m excited to see how it shoots. Some old timers have said it was a popular wildcat in the 1950’s and 1960’s. It’s interesting that the 240 Weatherby has a very similar case capacity to the 6mm-06. As you’ve probably noticed, the published velocities of the various 6mm cartridges varies all over the place, so it’s hard to know what to expect, but it’s safe to assume it won’t shoot a 100 gr bullet faster than a 25-06. I’ll be happy with whatever the gain will be over 243 velocities - hoping for 200 fps, but will be happy with 100 or 300. What I did find interesting is how a thin 28” barrel doesn’t seem as cumbersome as I assumed it would - I actually had to measure it since it doesn’t seem any different than other 26” barrels. :)