Elk and Deer Rifle for the Wife

c5mrr270

WKR
I'm looking to buy my wife her first hunting rifle. Its got to be capable of taking deer and elk. Backpacking and long hikes are very probable. My wife is not what I would call recoil sensitive. Any suggestions for a rifle/cartridge combo would be appreciated. Thanks

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Moderate power w/o being big thumpers I'd say 7mag in the 7mm realm or 30-06 in the 30cal realm. Both are common calibers and easy to find something in (both gun and ammo). If you want a bit less recoil and don't need as much distance energy 7mm-08 and 308 are also of consideration. 280rem is nice but harder to find. There always is the 270win consideration too but a bit more bore never hurts.

In the most everyman's budget lots of Tikka fans for relatively light good shooting guns. If you have four figures to spend there are obviously other options too that are nice light accurate rigs.

If backpacking then a lighter rifle - savage lightweight hunter, tikka t3 lite, kimber etc... if moderate weight, then savage 116, weatherby vanguard s2, tikka t3, kimber montana, winchester model 70 etc etc... so many options, so I would go with what fits her best (Length of pull etc)

As to cartridge, accuracy is most important, so whatever she is able to shoot, and shoot well. I would maybe start in the neighborhood of 7mm-08, .308, .280, 30-06 etc... My wife shoots a savage 116 30-06 well and has no issues with deer and elk using it. 6.5 creedmoor is a good round as well and can cleanly take both with low recoil and great BCs.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
Get her a Kimber in a 308. Or for the same money, you could get her a Remington Model Seven SS in 308 and a Leuopld scope. 👍

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great options. Ruger American, Tikka T3 lite, Savage, Weatherby, Remington 700, etc. Figure out your budget and go from there. As far as caliber goes: 30-06, 308, 270, 7mm, 270WSM, 7mm-08 are all going to be able to handle the job with manageable recoil. The ol dirty ott six is a tough all around caliber to beat with affordable and easy to find ammunition.

Lots of great options. Ruger American, Tikka T3 lite, Savage, Weatherby, Remington 700, etc. Figure out your budget and go from there. As far as caliber goes: 30-06, 308, 270, 7mm, 270WSM, 7mm-08 are all going to be able to handle the job with manageable recoil. The ol dirty ott six is a tough all around caliber to beat with affordable and easy to find ammunition.
Agree. Handload and it get even better 😊

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The 30-06 is great without too much recoil. The 7mm-08 is a good one as is the 280 Remington. A 25-06 with 120 gr Partitions or 110 gr. Accubonds would be effective without beating her up in a light rifle too!

Last edited:
Take a look at the Savage Lady Hunter. It comes in 308, 30/06, 6.5 Creedmor and 7mm-08. It is basically their lightweight hunter with a stock designed for a woman. Bought my wife one in 7mm-08 a couple of years ago and she loves it.

rbljack

WKR
Take a look at the Savage Lady Hunter. It comes in 308, 30/06, 6.5 Creedmor and 7mm-08. It is basically their lightweight hunter with a stock designed for a woman. Bought my wife one in 7mm-08 a couple of years ago and she loves it.
x2. I looked at these for my wife as well. Id say 7mm-08 for a good easy shooting caliber. Another option might be a light rifle/scope package in 270 using good bullets. As the rifle gets lighter, they kick a bit harder for any given caliber. Finding a balance becomes important between punch and weight. Although its true most people don't notice the "punch" when they are shooting during an actual hunt, you DEFINILTY feel the weight when carrying it around all day looking for critters to actually shoot AT...LOL

Someone also mentioned the Rem Model 7 and I think that would be a choice as well. My wife is currently using a weatherby vanguard synth stock 270win. Its a nice smooth action, but the gun is a bit heavy.

My vote is for the Remington Model 7 in 260 Rem, 7mm-08 or 308. Get it in the stainless/synthetic and don't look back. I have three grandsons shooting them and they just work.

LightFoot

WKR
Remington QA/QC has been poor in the recent years where other brands have improved. Savage or Kimber depending on budget. 7mm-08 or 308.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
In the light rifles with reduced dimensions- the 7-08 really shines. I've got a youth model Savage and a Ruger American Compact in 7-08 and they've both done great. The American is an 18" barrel and very packable.

Soft shooting and more than deadly enough on the business end.

I have a savage rifle chambered in a .338 win mag and I just love it. Gun is comfortable and recoil is manageable with a muzzle break.

Also really like the Sako A7 long range. Have that one chambered in a .25-06 but they do offer the gun in a few other calibers as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pldawg

FNG
Cooper Backcountry in a 280 AI! Love mine and exactly what I wanted for a versatile gun and cartridge.

GKPrice

Banned
Get her a Kimber in a 308. Or for the same money, you could get her a Remington Model Seven SS in 308 and a Leuopld scope. ��

Kimber, Tikka T3x superlight, Savage LWH (personally I'd not even look at anything "Remington" these days) 7mm-08 is pleasant to shoot and will kill beyond it's expectations shooting a premium 140 grain bullet - The 6.5 Creedmor is extremely intriguing and I'll own one before next summer but I have no actual experience yet - IF recoil IS an issue the Creedmor looks even better IMO but for a lady or kid you can't beat the 7mm-08 and if budget is a concern I've put two of them together shooting 7mm-08/140 handloads that took two "first elk" with one shot each at respectable range with no concerns before or after, both with Ruger Americans - I'd also suggest a Leupold 4x or 6x fixed for first time shooters, the last thing they need is a scope confusing them and I've killed 2 bulls in years past over 500 yds with an FX3 6x42 on the rifle that caused me no consternation whatsoever

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
In the light rifles with reduced dimensions- the 7-08 really shines. I've got a youth model Savage and a Ruger American Compact in 7-08 and they've both done great. The American is an 18" barrel and very packable.

Soft shooting and more than deadly enough on the business end.

I have the Ruger American Preditor in 6.5 Creedmoor. Ruger made a great little gun for the money. I think an American Compact might be my next bolt gun.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions. You guys have given me a lot of good ideas so far.

HOT ROD

WKR
If U don't mind a muzzle break. Tikka t3 lite. With a micro bastard break on it. Wife can shoot mine all day long....