E-Bike purchase thoughts

Since when does that happen? You obviously haven’t looked at used vehicles much lately either. My 5 yr old Toyota is worth more now than I paid for it brand new!
You're determined alright.

Hey man, spend it how you want. But I'm not spending $50k on a truck OR $5k on a bike, both of which will depreciate to half their value in a year or two.

For $5k, I can hire a sherpa to tow me and my gear around. LOL

Kilboars

WKR
I rode an e-bike for week in Canada Bowhunting for moose and it was great to get you in deep and back out but I would figure out a good trailer to haul your gear. Riding with my bow strapped to my back really felt like flirting with disaster.
Ended up hiding the bow in the woods each night just to avoid strapping to my back while riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDaveAR

FNG
I got a Rambo nomad with a deer trailer cheap off Facebook. First time I used it I asked why I hadn’t bought one years ago. They’re just so dang handy!

Well, I went down the e-bike rabbit hole quite a bit this year (you can see my questions/posts early on this thread and others), and I decided to NOT purchase one. The more I looked into it, it is completely not useful for most hunting situations here in Washington. Every timber company that I spoke with does not allow them, and National Forest and State lands don’t allow them when the roads are closed to motorized vehicles. So, if it is classified as “motorized” (which is ridiculous, but I don’t make the rules) and you have to spend at least $3k to get something up the hills over here, why wouldn’t I just buy a quad or a freaking horse at that point (horses are allowed even when the roads are closed).

So, between the price and the laws, it’s just not practical for me.

For hunting bikes, the backou mule and (the one i own) rungu dualie steep (your can spend the money on the xr and xr rubicon but not super needed unless you really want to go a long way) The rungu's climb like a mountain goat on speed, and are more stable than any single front tire bike out there.

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
Question for all you bike nerds and researchers out there, what do you think of the Norco Bigfoot Ebike? Looking at the one with the mastadon front fork. Seems like a good compromise between a reputable bike company making an ebike, but with the benefits of a hard tail fatty that will suit hunting situations well...

dtrkyman

WKR
I think I would need 4 or 5 spare batteries to really cover ground where I want to use it? I know the battery life goes to chit with hills!

I think I would need 4 or 5 spare batteries to really cover ground where I want to use it? I know the battery life goes to chit with hills!
that depends if you're using it with pedal assist, or if you're using them as a "dirt bike" if you dont pedal them at all, you can expect 5-6 miles in REALLY steep stuff. double that or more if you're using pedal assist.

dtrkyman

WKR
Of course I would pedal some but I’m still not going to get more than 10 miles.

I guess you can milk it and only use the power on up hill climbs but I ain’t trying to get a work out in whilst hunting!

Of course I would pedal some but I’m still not going to get more than 10 miles.

I guess you can milk it and only use the power on up hill climbs but I ain’t trying to get a work out in whilst hunting!

again, just depends on the bike/battery set up. i think there are plenty that will get you 10+ miles in steep country.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I went down the e-bike rabbit hole quite a bit this year (you can see my questions/posts early on this thread and others), and I decided to NOT purchase one. The more I looked into it, it is completely not useful for most hunting situations here in Washington. Every timber company that I spoke with does not allow them, and National Forest and State lands don’t allow them when the roads are closed to motorized vehicles. So, if it is classified as “motorized” (which is ridiculous, but I don’t make the rules) and you have to spend at least $3k to get something up the hills over here, why wouldn’t I just buy a quad or a freaking horse at that point (horses are allowed even when the roads are closed).

So, between the price and the laws, it’s just not practical for me.
This pretty much sums it up. I a fan of e-bikes through and through but at the end of the day the ridiculous restrictions on them take them out of the running. The only time to agree with not allowing them on trails is if it’s foot traffic only. Meaning human feet only. No horses, goats, mules ect, just hiking.

Revoa4

FNG
My Rad Rover didnt do to well in the mountains. Its entry level get what you pay for. Motor burned up on the climb in.

Archery22

FNG
Friends and I have 4 Rad Rover Plus 6 ( their newest model) step thru's when you stand over the seat and shake the handle bars the bike feels like it's going to break in half. One has had 2 batteries go bad and there CS could be much better. The shaking seems like there could have had a beefer plate at the bottom of the step thru.