Don't believe everything you see in Instagram etc(poaching)

tdhanses

WKR
So in reading this overall what he did is the same as if you shot a coyote on the edge of a national park, did I follow this correctly? He shot an animal classified as a pest on the border of his property and the park.

Seriously to me, if that is the case, I don’t see why so many are all up in arms over this. It isn’t like he poached a world record elk and then took it to a game show bragging about it.

He shot an animal considered a pest on the edge of his property. To me his punishment was enough paying legal fees to defend himself but then another $3300 per charge he pled guilty to.

Maybe I’m wrong here but I don’t take him as a poacher for this, yeah he trespassed on a national park next to his property that I’d say he is guilty of and taking a weapon into a park if illegal, ok.

Last edited:

stonewall

WKR
@tdhanses I guess we're inferring different things. it sounds to me like he was well in the park boundary. to the point they took waypoints on the carcass location and brought forth charges. i didn't see that he shot it on his place and trailed it into the park - if that were the case I don't believe this would have been in court at all. that's just what i think

GarrettCrain

Lil-Rokslider
So in reading this overall what he did is the same as if you shot a coyote on the edge of a national park, did I follow this correctly? He shot an animal classified as a pest on the border of his property and the park.

Seriously to me, if that is the case, I don’t see why so many are all up in arms over this. It isn’t like he poached a world record elk and then took it to a game show bragging about it.

He shot an animal considered a pest on the edge of his property. To me his punishment was enough paying legal fees to defend himself but then another $3300 per charge he pled guilty to.

Maybe I’m wrong here but I don’t take him as a poacher for this, yeah he trespassed on a national park next to his property that I’d say he is guilty of and taking a weapon into a park if illegal, ok.
I wasn’t there, so I can’t/won’t pass judgement on whether this was accidental or on purpose. But, someone that preaches ethical hunting as often as he does should not be convicted of something like this. Poaching is poaching regardless of a world class animal or not.

tdhanses

WKR
@tdhanses I guess we're inferring different things. it sounds to me like he was well in the park boundary. to the point they took waypoints on the carcass location and brought forth charges. i didn't see that he shot it on his place and trailed it into the park - if that were the case I don't believe this would have been in court at all. that's just what i think

He may have shot it in the park, I’m not sure there but would you ask for the ruination of an individual that shot a coyote or gopher in a national park?

tdhanses

WKR
I wasn’t there, so I can’t/won’t pass judgement on whether this was accidental or on purpose. But, someone that preaches ethical hunting as often as he does should not be convicted of something like this. Poaching is poaching regardless of a world class animal or not.

Hmm to me poaching is not having a valid tag during a valid season for a game animal, most animals designated a pest have neither.

To me he trespassed and crossed into a national park with a weapon. I agree I wasn’t there but like I asked the other guy, would you do the same to a guy that shot a gopher in a national park? I’m not saying he shouldn’t pay a fine for breaking the law, but doesn’t seem like shooting the deer listed as a pest was the main issue. In the end I wonder if they would have done the same to an avg joe, maybe.

Last edited:

GarrettCrain

Lil-Rokslider
Hmm to me poaching is not having a valid tag during a valid season for a game animal, most animals designated a pest have neither.

To me he trespassed and crossed into a national park with a weapon. I agree I wasn’t there but like I asked the other guy, would you do the same to a guy that shot a gopher in a national park? I’m not saying he shouldn’t pay a fine for breaking the law, but does t seem like shooting the deer listed as a pest was the main issue. In the end I wonder if they would have done the same to an avg joe, maybe.

I see what you mean, but he didn't shoot a gopher. He shot a deer and they are very different animals, even if both are classified as pests. But, that's coming from my opinion as someone living in the states. If an Aussie on here were to say different, I would have to accept that as my answer and change my opinion. If that is the case, they very well may have made the same decision to any average Joe.

I don't think this has anything to do with ruining anyone. I don't know the guy one bit so I won't speak to his personality or character but if someone in a position such as his and given he is a "professional" hunter should they not be held more accountable for their actions? They represent far more people than themselves whether they or anyone else wants to believe it and I am assuming as much hunting as he does he is very familiar with regulation of the places he hunts (I hope). Keeping people who partake in illegal activities as your poster child says a lot.

I do think it's interesting that he says he plead guilty because he could prove where he took the shot. Seems as if they would have to prove he took it within the boundary but I'm not familiar with the laws over there. Tough spot to be in.

"Even highly skilled hunters make errors.".....I bet they would make a lot less if they weren't paying their bills with social media followings.

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
I see what you mean, but he didn't shoot a gopher. He shot a deer and they are very different animals, even if both are classified as pests. But, that's coming from my opinion as someone living in the states. If an Aussie on here were to say different, I would have to accept that as my answer and change my opinion. If that is the case, they very well may have made the same decision to any average Joe.
I don't know any of the specifics of this case, but they are very different animals. I'm not an Aussie but I know that they are classified as "pests" by the government. I think you'd be hard pressed to find hunters from Au that would agree with that. Red deer have value to hunters in the south pacific, and I'd compare it to how we value elk here.

Seems like he mislead (lied) them saying he shot it on his neighbors land. Then he said he shot it on his land and the article says "Adam Greentree, bowhunter extraordinaire, escaped a conviction in Newcastle Local Court on Monday for hunting and killing a red deer in a national park. " So what is it?

stonewall

WKR
i'm not sure consequences for breaking the law equate to ruination. I would assume he knows boundary lines of his property and the potential consequences of entering the park. what will be will be, and it looks like the court is okay with it

and to the gopher, I've never hunted them, but I did enjoy the appearance in O Brother Where Art Thou

GarrettCrain

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know any of the specifics of this case, but they are very different animals. I'm not an Aussie but I know that they are classified as "pests" by the government. I think you'd be hard pressed to find hunters from Au that would agree with that. Red deer have value to hunters in the south pacific, and I'd compare it to how we value elk here.
That’s exactly how I view it as well.

tdhanses

WKR

So because it’s a deer it can’t have pest status? Look at what the NZ gov is wanting to do, is it poaching when a gov determines an animal is a pest and decides they should wipe them out?

To me just because it’s a deer doesn’t give it special status just because here in US it has that, I’m just basing my view off what it had been determined by the Aussies as, therefore to me it’s no different then a coyote.

Poaching comes down to economic value, look at the different fines that have been established for poaching and the various species, a pest never has one unless you have to have a special license but then that’s just getting more revenue.

All I’m saying is he’s only getting torn up over this because it’s a deer and not a coyote. Sounds like no tag was required to shoot the deer. Maybe I’m looking at this wrong but I feel the big issue is the trespassing and taking a weapon into a national park not killing the deer.

Last edited:

James270

FNG
Red Deer are classed as a Game Animal under legislation in New South Wales where this incident occurred. There is considerable debate as to whether deer in general should retain this status in NSW with a lot of misinformation being spread by people and groups with a vested interest in having deer declared a "pest".

I believe that the judges reference to "pest" relates to the fact that in some situations deer can be considered a "pest" rather than an actual legislative status of the animal.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Red Deer are classed as a Game Animal under legislation in New South Wales where this incident occurred. There is considerable debate as to whether deer in general should retain this status in NSW with a lot of misinformation being spread by people and groups with a vested interest in having deer declared a "pest".

I believe that the judges reference to "pest" relates to the fact that in some situations deer can be considered a "pest" rather than an actual legislative status of the animal.

What are the general thoughts and feel there in Australia for what he did and how it went down?

tdhanses

WKR
I also look at it this way, we shouldn’t apply our American standards on this, it should purely be Aussie standards.

It’s kind of like how that CA game and fish official legally shot a mountain lion in ID but was then vilified in CA because it’s illegal there to kill a mountain lion.

So I agree as well, what do our Aussie brothers think of this situation?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also look at it this way, we shouldn’t apply our American standards on this, it should purely be Aussie standards.

It’s kind of like how that CA game and fish official legally shot a mountain lion in ID but was then vilified in CA because it’s illegal there to kill a mountain lion.

So I agree as well, what do our Aussie brothers think of this situation?
I don't see that comparison at all. You sound like a leg humper defending his action. That's on you but go back and read what you have written

More like if he shot a lion in California but on the border of Nevada and said but it's legal over there so I'm almost right

GarrettCrain

Lil-Rokslider
So because it’s a deer it can’t have pest status? Look at what the NZ gov is wanting to do, is it poaching when a gov determines an animal is a pest and decides they should wipe them out?

To me just because it’s a deer doesn’t give it special status just because here in US it has that, I’m just basing my view off what it had been determined by the Aussies as, therefore to me it’s no different then a coyote.

Poaching comes down to economic value, look at the different fines that have been established for poaching and the various species, a pest never has one unless you have to have a special license but then that’s just getting more revenue.

All I’m saying is he’s only getting torn up over this because it’s a deer and not a coyote. Sounds like no tag was required to shoot the deer. Maybe I’m looking at this wrong but I feel the big issue is the trespassing and taking a weapon into a national park not killing the deer.
I never said or intended that a deer couldn't be classified as a pest. I also stated if someone familiar with that countries ways were to correct me, I would change my opinion on how the animal is viewed.

Poaching isn't just shooting an animal without the qualifying license/tag but also shooting an animal that is illegal to shoot WHERE you are hunting.

James270

FNG
What are the general thoughts and feel there in Australia for what he did and how it went down?
I can only speak for myself and the people I associate with but generally it appears that most feel that he has got away with it and he generally should be rejected by the rest of the hunting community.

Unfortunately, there is a significant number of people in Australia that consider themselves "hunters" that have a very short term approach to hunting and behave accordingly. Activities including poaching, trespassing, spotlighting etc are often seen as acceptable methods of take. This aspect of the shooting community probably see nothing wrong with the way this has all played out.

Sadly, we have a bit of a track record of very weak punishment for hunting and game management offences in Australia.