Don't believe everything you see in Instagram etc(poaching)

tdhanses

WKR
You'll probably get a message shortly telling you to take your post down. Haha Everytime I've seen anyone posting about that whole deal they get real pissy about it.

Haha, well they aren’t a sponsor here I don’t think.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the difference is your comparing managed hunting vs open season no tag. Again maybe I missed it and he needed to get a tag, or was it open season kill as many as you can we want rid of these pests?
Yes your just making up shit. " Fake news" Carry on it's entertaining.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wonder on over to Yellowstone and shoot a coyote and post it up on Facebook. No need to draw anything

lif

WKR
Best thing to do is put yourself in Adams shoes. I would think that the issue had to have crossed his mind before he entered the park. Right?😇

tdhanses

WKR
Just wonder on over to Yellowstone and shoot a coyote and post it up on Facebook. No need to draw anything

You shoot a bighorn and I’ll shoot a coyote both cross the boundary right next to the park, no tags, you can’t prove where you shot from, you seem to believe the actions are the same with the same penalties. Both are poaching in your view and equal. But only one will be charged with poaching.

Dinger

WKR
I can only speak for myself and the people I associate with but generally it appears that most feel that he has got away with it and he generally should be rejected by the rest of the hunting community.

Unfortunately, there is a significant number of people in Australia that consider themselves "hunters" that have a very short term approach to hunting and behave accordingly. Activities including poaching, trespassing, spotlighting etc are often seen as acceptable methods of take. This aspect of the shooting community probably see nothing wrong with the way this has all played out.

Sadly, we have a bit of a track record of very weak punishment for hunting and game management offences in Australia.

I live not far from where the event occured and have hunted private property that boarders Towarri NP. It is very easy to tell where you are in this part of Australia with respect to NP boundaries....no map or digital dependency for people incapable of reading a map, or even recognising what a fence is, should be required. I'd argue my 9 year old son could get it right. I agree with the above quote and have been bitterly dissapointed with every aspect of this issue and the way it has been handled by the guilty party. I held him in high esteem and still freely recognise the great things he has done for hunting in Austraila.

One day we may have access to legally hunt declared game animals (or 'pests') inside NSW NP's, but cases like this only erode all campaigning done to date.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just so it’s clear, I could careless about this Greentree guy, but I just don’t classify a pest that requires nothing to kill it a poaching category, I’m not sure any state would even charge you for poaching a coyote.

You shoot a bighorn and I’ll shoot a coyote both cross the boundary right next to the park, no tags, you can’t prove where you shot from, you seem to believe the actions are the same with the same penalties. Both are poaching in your view and equal. But only one will be charged with poaching.
So if you steal something that isn't valued by those you took it from it isn't really stealing? What if you know it was wrong, lie about it, build a whole social media scheme defending the action and then plead guilty in court to stealing? If you tell people it's cultural they won't understand are you still a thief?

I don't see your position at all. He broke the rules knew it, lied about, admitted it, and says we Americans are to stupid to understand. He's right some are.

Randle

WKR
I hunted with a friend north of Yellowstone a few years ago. We were told if an elk was shot and went into the park we could not retrieve it. There had been too many problems with poaching at the park boundaries and fake blood trails saying "I shot it over there and it died in the park."

GarrettCrain

Lil-Rokslider
You’re comparing killing a bighorn ram without a tag to killing a coyote?

tdhanses

WKR
So if you steal something that isn't valued by those you took it from it isn't really stealing? What if you know it was wrong, lie about it, build a whole social media scheme defending the action and then plead guilty in court to stealing? If you tell people it's cultural they won't understand are you still a thief?

I don't see your position at all. He broke the rules knew it, lied about, admitted it, and says we Americans are to stupid to understand. He's right some are.

Yes it is stealing.

I didn’t say he didn’t break the rules, I just don’t feel a pest species necessarily warrants poaching. Anyone that kills a coyote in an illegal manner isn’t poaching but breaking other laws. Sounds like he got off easy and should have lost all hunting rights world wide and been fined $100k. He is guilty, no doubt there.

tdhanses

WKR
You’re comparing killing a bighorn ram without a tag to killing a coyote?

Well poaching is poaching, right? Seems like most feel you can poach a coyote, I personally don’t but I don’t know of any state that would charge you where you don’t need a license. Trespassing and shooting a weapon in a prohibited area to me is where he broke the law.

In the end I wasn’t there and only know what was in the article. Personally I could careless about this greentree guy and am not a fan of the Instagram celebrities but I sure wouldn’t put someone for killing a coyote illegally in the same category as someone that kills an elk, bighorn, bear etc illegally.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes it is stealing.

I didn’t say he didn’t break the rules, I just don’t feel a pest species necessarily warrants poaching. Anyone that kills a coyote in an illegal manner isn’t poaching but breaking other laws. Sounds like he got off easy and should have lost all hunting rights world wide and been fined $100k. He is guilty, no doubt there.
Your entitled to an opinion on the matter but mine differs greatly.

He didn't kill it because it was a "pest" but because he wanted to take his picture with it so he could better his brand. Post a picture worth a thousand words. He found value in it's death and broke the rules to make that happen.

Should he be shunned by the hunting community? Hell yes! unless killing for social fame trumps all else.

This was NOT an accident he took a chance and got caught now he should face the real consequences.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Your entitled to an opinion on the matter but mine differs greatly.

Some one that's crossing the line for a "pest" is probably using that same moral compass when they see a big horn and thinks no one is watching.

Simple fact is people with wealth and influence mock the justice systems. Crimes can not and should not be judged by the imposed sentence afterwards.

Do you apply the same logic to people that promote the 3 S rule on wolves?

It's only convenient for me greentree in this instance to have the judge call deer pests.

In the United States if you bring a rifle into big bend national park, or guadalupe and shot a Barbary sheep how would you be treated? As just shooting a pest?

What if your job was to promote hunting on social media? How's that look?

Fact is, greenies on both sides of the Tasman would love to label all game species as pest and be subject to widespread eradication.

Greentree has done no favor to his fellow hunters in OZ and should be viewed as the poacher he is.