Donating Blood - Why? Why not?

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I donated blood for years but don't anymore. Heres why.

Have you ever seen what a hospital charges for blood? Have you been charged for blood? Why does a blood draw company need a rich ceo?

Somewhere on the heartthrob storyline of how giving blood is truly helping i saw that someone was charged for blood. This started my thought process about if everyone is getting a cut, why am I not offered more than a cookie for my life source?

The answer is obviously simple. There is such a surplus of free blood we don't need to pay people for it; neither do we need that much. If this is not the case, why does the Healthcare market not adjust what its willing to pay for blood?

Answer: Freely offered up resources.

In what other market can you find something like that?

Have you ever seen what a hospital charges for blood? Have you been charged for blood? Why does a blood draw company need a rich ceo?

Somewhere on the heartthrob storyline of how giving blood is truly helping i saw that someone was charged for blood. This started my thought process about if everyone is getting a cut, why am I not offered more than a cookie for my life source?

The answer is obviously simple. There is such a surplus of free blood we don't need to pay people for it; neither do we need that much. If this is not the case, why does the Healthcare market not adjust what its willing to pay for blood?

My dad used to donate all the time. Finally came to the same conclusion as you and said “if someone I know needs blood and I can donate straight to them, I won’t hesitate.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing as Goodwill stores. They make a shit ton of $$ from people giving them stuff.

If you're ever in the hospital and need blood, would you want blood from someone who gave it altruistically or someone who had made a series of poor life choices and was selling their blood because they need the money?

Which donor would be more likely to fudge some of the history safety details on the intake form?

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks for the thread. I didn't read every post, but you got me to check on something. I used to not give blood because I had spent too much time in the UK in 1991, which ruled me out due to "Mad Cow" disease concerns. That ban was lifted a few years ago, so I should donate. It's on my list.

I also have cancer but it appears I don't fit within the categories of those that the Red Cross excludes.

MattB

WKR

If the recipient of the donated blood wasn't charged for it, how would all the costs associated with getting the blood out of a donor's arm and to the recipient be covered?