Donating Blood - Why? Why not?

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Donating blood is a good thing, but the "health benefits" like cleaning up your blood is not a real thing just fyi (unless you're a special case like @Haggin I suppose, this is for us running the mill no blood disorders people). The health benefits are to the people that need the transfusions not dying, still totally worth it for that reason alone

Good topic. Should definitely donate at least 2 or 3 times a year but never get around to it. I believe I'm o pos which is a pretty common type

I used to donate blood and plasma. Both places made it so hard to donate that I ended up stopping. My wife is O- and every time she goes they don't stick her right and they have to throw it away.

inkedspot

FNG
I try to do platelets every three-four weeks. Its so vital for cancer patients. I do it because if you can and it might save a life its pretty hard not to give up some comfort or an hour or two a month of your time.

Mojave

WKR
I give every opportunity for several reasons.

I'm a carrier for Hemochromatosis (high iron in blood) and doc feels it keeps the levels down some. I'm also O-Neg, so my blood is sought after.

I will say I gave up on the Red Cross. They used to come to my rural city every eight weeks put on by the local VFW. I would go in, donate, and then schedule the next appointment when they were back, and try to be in the first group. The experience the last several trips wasn't up to par (timeliness is very important to me and they were 2 hours behind leaving their main office last time), so i switched to the regional community blood bank.

Blood stays local-ish, office is 20 minute drive away and I do other errands that day, and appointments are plentiful and always right on time.

Now, if we could only convince the IRS that donating is tax deductible...
Same here. I don’t give for charity but I give all the time.

BigDog00

WKR
I donate plasma a couple times a year. I usually get a good promotion in the spring and fall. I usually just use the funds for hunting stuff that I probably don't really need. I'm currently finishing up a good promotion now and will be picking up a Trijicon Credo.

It's pretty painless and helps people.

Idaboy

WKR
Don't sweat the questions, they are just screening for high risk Hep C and HIV exposures risk...the testing process is now so precise it's unheard of to contract those viruses from blood product transfusion, but they still have to ask/nothing personal, and thanks for being a donor

ODB

WKR
Don't sweat the questions, they are just screening for high risk Hep C and HIV exposures risk...the testing process is now so precise it's unheard of to contract those viruses from blood product transfusion, but they still have to ask/nothing personal, and thanks for being a donor

I listened to a report that stated HIV+ should not preclude giving blood because of the modern anti-retrovirals make HIV a non-lethal diagnoses. Make of that what you will.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Almost 20 years ago:
My son was born 5 weeks early due to abrupted placenta, had emergency C-section and almost lost him - took 2 units of blood to keep him alive the day he was born. Took a couple more after that. Less than four months after he was born, my best friend was involved in a head on car crash, took 51 units of blood and plasma to keep him alive.
I donate yearly, my goal has been to exceed the 55 number but I'm not there yet.

BadDogPSD

WKR
I used to donate fairly regularly. I had to stop prior to having surgery & never resumed... just forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder.

Idaboy

WKR
I listened to a report that stated HIV+ should not preclude giving blood because of the modern anti-retrovirals make HIV a non-lethal diagnoses. Make of that what you will.
That's interesting...I was just explaining the "why" behind the questions....I think most medical professionals would advise continued screening blood products to avoid unnecessary transmissions/infections.

Felton

WKR
It makes me extremely light headed. I wish it didn’t as I would donate.

I the 80s I came down with a fever of unknown origin. It put me in the hospital for two weeks every couple months. My fever would peak at 105 each evening and then drop to 101 until it would start to climb in the morning. They tested me for every known disease they could come up with and a few imaginary ones.

After the third hospital tour they offered to inject me with radioactive material to see if anything would show up. I declined and whatever it was went away. The blood people don't like stuff like that.

Reactions: ODB
OP
insanelupus
Last time I donated, I ensured I drank plenty of H2O, had a few tablespoons if honey before bed time after supper. Felt great the next morning, no tiredness, no headache, no dizzyness, nada. Hopefully that trend continues.

Having donated only a few times in a rural setting, they make it pretty convenient. The call, emails, and notification reminders can get excessive
But that's an especially minor inconvenience.

Giving blood means I don't have to drink as much. Win win.

Seriously though, my local blood bank has made it difficult to schedule so I haven't been in a while. I have known people who needed units and am thankful that so many people do donate.

I imagine the hospital charges a ton for a unit so I don't really know why they only give me tickets to the local baseball teams games or a coupon for a Frosty...

Reactions: WCS

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
Giving blood means I don't have to drink as much. Win win.

Seriously though, my local blood bank has made it difficult to schedule so I haven't been in a while. I have known people who needed units and am thankful that so many people do donate.

I imagine the hospital charges a ton for a unit so I don't really know why they only give me tickets to the local baseball teams games or a coupon for a Frosty...
They came to our high school senior year and I went down to donate. Made sure it was during a class I wanted to miss. Saw a buddy in there who didn't strike me as the blood giving type. He said, "I'm about to give this blood, hop in the hot tub with a 6 pack, and get hammered."

It all made sense after that.