Donating Blood - Why? Why not?

I don't like needles or getting poked. That said, I've known folks that needed blood in trauma units or emergency surgery and know it is helpful.

I started donating this year for two reasons. One as an example to my kids, as much as I don't enjoy it, it's an easy way to help someone else in a time of need they likely didn't anticipate.

Also, I've heard several conversations regarding the health benefits of cleaning up one's blood by donating and rejuvinating the replacement blood.

First time I noticed a little extra tiredness for about a week, then everything seemed back to normal. I'll be curious to see as time passes if that shortens up a little.

Hard to find a negative with it. After research and balancing family/hunting/training/work time I've decided to donate three times a year with the last being in June to early July. Start again after the season around Christmas and then once in the spring.

Why do you or don't you donate blood? If you do, any thoughts/ reasons for the times you donate?

cfdjay

WKR
Get your RBC numbers. Polycythemia is an excessive RBC count. The number one side effect is lethargy. After donating blood or or getting a phlebotomy I feel much better. That being said I do not have the normal altitude symptoms at elevation for a flat lander. I feel like I've had a phlebo when I'm 4k ft or higher. Complete Bro-Science but I attribute it to my polycythemia and the excess RBC's to carry oxygen.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
I have tiny little rolling veins, and despite donating gallons of blood to the red cross, it's hard to convince myself to go in. They don't have any needle size variation, just the big ol' ones. Being O- in the military, I was strongly encouraged (forced) to donate blood my entire career. Nothing like 18 year old techs sticking you 6-8 times before finally getting it. Everyone who can should do it though, I have a very good friend who needed A LOT of blood, and he's only here today because of all the blood donations.

Tried donating plasma to add the the hunting fund, back during covid you could make $600 a month. First time doing it I lost all the color to my face and ended up throwing up all over myself and the staff. Haven’t been back since, I decided to just pick up a few side jobs for extra cash.

Rich M

WKR
They put me on hold for 10 years. Been turned down last 2 times I went to donate. Nothing wrong with me other than one value a little higher than avg - has always been. Used to give every now and again.

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
Usually give at least twice a year. During the first two years of the pandemic I went more often due to the blood shortage.

Jethro

WKR
When my company would host the local blood drive I would donate as often as allowed. They stopped hosting, now its over 10 years since I've donated. Never had any side effects. After a cookie and glass of orange juice, back to work as normal.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I'm O Neg which is universal and highly desired. Back in the 80's, the local blood bank would constantly call me asking if I would come in. It really became annoying when they would call almost weekly after I was eligible again.

Another positive thing was I learned I had very high cholesterol, that I otherwise wouldn't have known. I don't know if its the same anymore.... or just a CA thing but they asked a bunch of personal questions about if you'd ever been paid to have sex with someone. That kind of bugged me.

I give fairly often....Maybe 5x/yr.
I don't mind the needle stick as long as it's quick and clean.
I have had less-than experienced techs stick me and the results have been unpleasant but I still go because it is literally a lifesaver for someone.
Not sure I believe the science of having to renew blood cells but would like to have extra rbc if I was athletic or going to higher altitude.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
I give every opportunity for several reasons.

I'm a carrier for Hemochromatosis (high iron in blood) and doc feels it keeps the levels down some. I'm also O-Neg, so my blood is sought after.

I will say I gave up on the Red Cross. They used to come to my rural city every eight weeks put on by the local VFW. I would go in, donate, and then schedule the next appointment when they were back, and try to be in the first group. The experience the last several trips wasn't up to par (timeliness is very important to me and they were 2 hours behind leaving their main office last time), so i switched to the regional community blood bank.

Blood stays local-ish, office is 20 minute drive away and I do other errands that day, and appointments are plentiful and always right on time.

Now, if we could only convince the IRS that donating is tax deductible...

hunterjmj

WKR
Last time I did it I passed out. The older I get the worse it gets so I avoid blood draws as best I can. Not sure why I fear it so much.

cnelk

WKR
I used to donate blood a lot. Even have a couple '1 Gallon Donated' pins.

Ive also donated plasma - no probs

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I donated a lot in college when the big RV would come by. Mostly for the free snacks and juice. Once I graduated I was getting emails asking me to come by the location near my house to donate. Made an appointment and stopped in. The workers in there were complete turds and I left before I gave anything. Haven't been back.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Back in the day the place I worked had the blood mobile in 3-4 times per year, I would donate almost every time. At one point I got my 5 gallon pin. Switched jobs many years ago and they don't host the the blood mobile, and I haven't donated since. There's nothing stopping me from driving down town and donating but the work thing made it so darn convenient - I really should get back in the habit.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
I tried it a couple times and always ended up passing out. I was on some meds that required that I get blood drawn and tested every month. Even that little vial would make me pass out. I can handle seeing blood, even cuts dont bother me but you put a needle in me and I am done.

tony

WKR
I gave blood back in high school 30 some years ago.

I think the needle they use is, is a 16 gauge, which is pretty big. Don’t remember any major pain from it. And never had any issues after giving blood.
I’ve been a paramedic and RN for 30 years at least. And I just never think about donating.
I worked one small hospital ICU a few years back and it seemed like I was hanging blood every shift.