Donating Blood - Why? Why not?

They came to our high school senior year and I went down to donate. Made sure it was during a class I wanted to miss. Saw a buddy in there who didn't strike me as the blood giving type. He said, "I'm about to give this blood, hop in the hot tub with a 6 pack, and get hammered."

It all made sense after that.
Thats the dead by 40 trifecta. Blood donation, beers and a hot tub.

I give blood and platelets as often as I can. actually glad this popped up as i have not done it in awhile. Ive lost a wife and a son to leukemia. watched them both receive platelets and blood more than I care to really talk about. I realize just how important it is . just do it. it takes a small part of a day and your little head ache is pretty damn insignificant compared to what the people are going through that need your blood.

Marble

WKR
I used to not donate blood because I was a cop and feared I would need it.. l. Probably a little bit of paranoia there, but whatever.

But I've had cancer twice and doubt they would take my blood at all.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I give often, its easy and quick.

I’d hate for a family or friend to not have it when needed. So I donate, hopefully it helps someone.

I get a cholesterol check. Which helps me keep an eye on it.

Q child

WKR
I donate as often as possible. They will call me and hassle me when I'm eligible again. I don't like needles or seeing my blood, so I look away. I hope it helps people.

I typically give but have missed the last couple times they have been in the area (rural), but need to get on their schedule again - their calls every couple weeks remind me of that, which is a little annoying. I don't particularly enjoy donating, but like others have mentioned, its something I can do to help others in need. I've always told myself that the "crappiness" I feel after giving (which is very minimal) is nothing compared to how the person needing my blood feels...

I have passed out several times when having blood drawn when I was younger, but if I lay down almost flat, I am completely fine while donating.

And a tip for people who are thinking about giving or those that haven't felt great afterward.. I have found that I feel better if I eat a meal before I go rather than donating on an empty stomach and then eating afterwards.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I started donating in basic training ( required) in 75. Had to skip a few years while working overseas but have done the whole blood and platelets as often as I am eligible.

I have one vein that is good for drawing blood at the doctor’s office. That is the only vein anyone can hit. I’ve jogged up and down stairs, had Hot Hands placed on my veins, you name it. It is beginning to develop a little scar tissue and each year it gets harder to hit. I was told not to donate blood if I want to save that vein for future uses. So I must abstain.

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve donated since I was 16 when the Red Cross came to my school. 32 years later I’m doing power red now. So it’s every 4 months. I don’t drink, smoke or do any drugs of any sort and have always been into fitness. I have A- and most times my blood goes to infants and children. If my ass can help a kid or whomever out I’m happy to do so anytime.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Despite being able to stick people I don’t like being sticked or needles. I can bearly give blood for tests at the pcp

O+ here. Donate as often as I’m eligible. Needles don’t bother me and it can certainly help someone else somewhere, so why not?

I’m also on the bone marrow donor registry. Again, if it can help somebody out there, why not?

Donate to the children's hospital about 4 times a year.

My wife and I go in together.

My blood pressure is slightly on the high side of the normal range. I figure taking out a pint every now and then can only help as long as it isn't right before hunting season.

One of my cousins donated a couple years ago, felt lighted headed so he went to get a snack. Fainted when he stood up and broke his jaw on the floor.

If you're feeling lightheaded, make them bring the snack to you.

Yarak

WKR
I used to donate regularly but dont any more since spending so much time in the ME desert my ailments are not worth the risk of passing them on to someone else
Blood donors saved my life back years ago when I lost 60% of my blood and should have died
Thank you all for your continued service to your fellow man

Ratbeetle

WKR
Haven't done it in a long time. I'm O- so I really should a schedule a time and donate again.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'm not sensitive to needles , but those harpoon sized ones
they use are the only negative.
Like driving a stainless drinking straw in my arm.

An ex got me into it then an ex boss kept me going. He was a platelet donor and would schedule my appointments when I was eligible to give whole blood at same time he was doing platelets, during work hours so I had little choice.

I was thrilled when I wasn’t a candidate to join him for platelet donations and only had to do whole blood.

Just reading this thread gives me anxiety. the sight of blood does nothing to me but the idea of blood leaving my body is an almost debilitating fear. When I reached the 2 gallon club and my anxiety hadn’t gotten any better I figured I could honestly say I tried my best so I stopped.

It’s been a while, this thread makes me want to give it a shot again. Maybe

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
I donate 2-4 times per year. I'm O-pos, which I guess is easy/no post-processing for whole blood. It's a good thing to do for the recipients, without question. Recently, I found the electronic records for the local blood center; I've donated 43 times since about 2003 or so! Wow, had no idea! I have been told (true? don't know) that donating makes your marrow "work" to regenerate the lost RBCs which is supposedly good for men since we don't bleed naturally like our spouses. Good for others, doesn't hurt, why not?!

HUNTNUT

FNG
I listened to a report that stated HIV+ should not preclude giving blood because of the modern anti-retrovirals make HIV a non-lethal diagnoses. Make of that what you will.
10+ gallon donor and work in a hospital laboratory, I do not think they are letting HIV+ persons give blood but are considering letting gay males donate. I do not care about the science behind this, I completely disagree with this. I've worked in the lab 35+ years, very familiar with HIV testing, and witnessed everything HIV did to all parts of society. I do not understand why donation centers and organizations would even consider taking that risk, even though they say it is zero.