Do you shoot factory or load your own ammo?

.5 MOA Is an exacting standard and one I don’t believe is necessary. Not that it’s a bad thing if you can achieve it, just not necessary.

For example: a 2 MOA rifle isn’t all that impressive, right? But if it’s consistent, and the cone of dispersion is centered, you’re never more than 1” from point of aim at 100. That’s the width of an average man’s thumb. It’s also more accurate than many riflemen can manage to hold in a field situation.
It isn’t, but at one time I had 12 center fire rifles. I sold all but one and bought 3 high end factory rifles - CA BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC, Bergara Premier Approach 6mm CM, and CA Ridgeline FFT in 280AI. From a bench with sand bags these will all do .5 moa. Since I am limiting the number of rifles I own, I had to set some sort of accuracy standard lol.

I shoot factory I don’t trust myself I use to reload a ton of shot shells for trap with a couple buddies they didn’t always come out right. There was a lot of beer involved
Yeah, alcohol and reloading don't mix, lol. The process is really quite easy. For those that shoot a lot and use oddball chamberings it really does save money. I have a 9.3x57 Mauser, about $90/box. I build it wayyy cheaper than that. Same for 284 Winchester and my soon to be completed 280ai. I'm usually a little disappointed when developing loads for a gun if the first try shoots under MOA, half the fun is tinkering.

Factory only for me. In college I worked for a guy reloading and selling ammo at gun shows and after that I don’t have any desire to do it as a hobby.

Factory. And I don't shoot all that often - maybe only a few times a year. I'd like to get more into shooting and start reloading, but haven't found the time yet.

Whats more fun than the smell of gunpowder, brass, used primers laying all over the place . Handling lead that can drop your IQ a few points . With dirty black fingers and the potential for explosion . I enjoy reloading . Amazing how certain loads can improve or worsen a guns accuracy . I think if your a "tinkerer" you enjoy reloading , maybe not so much if your a just load and shoot guy . I feel for somone just getting started . price and availibilty of powder and components is crazy . Maybe getting a little better

I reload for my 7SAUM and 280ai and am moving back to factory. Trading the SAUM for a 7 PRC and probably trading the 280ai for a 6.5 PRC. I picked up a 6 CM for the wife that shoots factory well enough for hunting. I just dont really care for reloading and dont shoot enough to justify it all.

Saw this thread on another forum and was surprised by the replies. Wondered what the crowd around here is more likely to do.

I've been reloading my own ammo for 15 years. I shoot a lot of oddballs so it's out of necessity but also because I just like making my own .

What say you Roksliders?
Load my own, it’s a hobby in its own. Kind of like tying flies. You kind of save money to justify the hobby, but it has its own intrinsic value of taking pride in doing it. You can get most any rifle to shoot really well compared to reliance on factory offerings.
I will say this, I gave up on single stage reloading for semi auto pistols. It really isn’t worth my time and accuracy is relative. I shoot a lot of steel with pistols, so I’m not worried about bug hole static groups.

I reload everything for my handguns. Rifle is a little harder, I've had a hard time getting good groups with anything I've made so far.
Same here. Have tried reloading a bunch of different combinations for my .308 and .300RUM but can't get anything to group as good as factory. So I stick to reloading 45acp and 9mm

reloader
I really enjoy it. Stretching the performance of a cartridge. superior accuracy. Its a no brainer..

If i had to shoot factory, firstly, a large number of my guns would remain eternally idle, ammunition being either no longer, or never commercially produced.
Secondly, I couldn't afford to shoot the remainder!

Depends...if I am plinking factory...hunting rounds I reload...308 180 NP factory ammo if you can find it is over 50 bucks for 20 rounds...I have 400ish 180gr NP 30 cal bullets and about the same number of 150 accubond in stock on my reloading bench. I have a 308, 30-06 and a 300 winmag...I have loads for those guns with the bullets above and that will last me the rest of my hunting days.

Saw this thread on another forum and was surprised by the replies. Wondered what the crowd around here is more likely to do.

I've been reloading my own ammo for 15 years. I shoot a lot of oddballs so it's out of necessity but also because I just like making my own .

What say you Roksliders?
I usually handload 100% of my ammo but after this winter I was low on powders and primers for my varmint rifles and baught some factory loads in the same bullet and honestly it shoots just fine. I also shoot factory ammo in my ARs because it's proven to be just as economical and accurate. I will say all my big game and less common calibers are handloaded. I do buy factory ammo for all my shotgun needs because it just makes more sense.

Back