Do you shoot factory or load your own ammo?

Yoder

WKR
I reload everything for my handguns. Rifle is a little harder, I've had a hard time getting good groups with anything I've made so far.

venado mula

Lil-Rokslider
Both, factory ammo has been cheaper than primers, if I can find primers at a realistic price, reloads, but factory ammo is so good these days, I can't tell the difference.

PB&J

FNG
Factory. Does everything I want it to do.
Kraft drill with Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5cm
D4F54659-BFDE-425F-A9FD-A7A1A3973C53.jpeg

KurtR

WKR
Reload. When i was shooting a couple hundred rounds practicing for comps it just made sense. Dont shoot near as much now but like to go down and reload for some quite time

ODB

WKR
Reload. 9.3 x 62, 338, 30-06, 270, formerly 375 H&H, futurely 458 Win Mag.

Factory. I'm not good enough (or have time to practice) to shoot more than 400 yds so it doesn't matter to me. I keep at least 200 rounds on hand for all my hunting rifles and have plenty of used brass if manufacturing stopped and I had to reload.

The SHTF reasoning to reload is always funny to me. If we really get in a SHTF situation I'm not going to be reaching for or out searching for 7-08 or 375. I'm probably on the low end of ammo hoarders on this site, and if I go through all the 5.56 ammo I have when SHTF, I probably don't want to be here anyways. And being able to reload a couple thousand more wouldn't change much.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Saw this thread on another forum and was surprised by the replies. Wondered what the crowd around here is more likely to do.

I've been reloading my own ammo for 15 years. I shoot a lot of oddballs so it's out of necessity but also because I just like making my own .

What say you Roksliders?
I shoot factory I don’t trust myself I use to reload a ton of shot shells for trap with a couple buddies they didn’t always come out right. There was a lot of beer involved

Diced

WKR
Factory ammo in both of my main hunting rifles. Berger factory with the 156 berger for my 6.5 prc. Federal gold medal berger 215s for my 300 win. Both shoot under half moa so there's not a huge need for me to reload. However both my rifles are customs and are not picky.

If I could get the components I want without having to be signed up for in stock notifications from 15 different websites then I'd probably reload.

Just got into reloading this year, wish I started ten years ago. Main benefits for me are ability to pick specific bullets, but also shifted mindset from using ammo sparingly shooting groups, to stocking up 1000rds worth of components and shooting alot more.

Edit: for those of you saying you would get into it if you just had the space, I said the same thing. Currently I store everything in totes in my garage, including press and scale. When it's time to load I unpack everything, bolt the press to the bench and go at it. When done put everything back in totes. Not as ideal as having a dedicated reloading room but you can make it work with limited storage space and general purpose work bench.

WKR
I hate reloading with a passion, it brings zero joy to my life. I am all set up to do it, but avoid it like the plague. If a rifle can’t shoot .5 moa with factory ammo, I kick it down the road.
.5 MOA is an exacting standard and one I don’t believe is necessary. Not that it’s a bad thing if you can achieve it, just not necessary.

For example: a 2 MOA rifle isn’t all that impressive, right? But if it’s consistent, and the cone of dispersion is centered, you’re never more than 1” from point of aim at 100. That’s the width of an average man’s thumb. It’s also more accurate than many riflemen can manage to hold in a field situation.

Last edited:
I shoot factory ammo. I'm into a bunch of other outdoor stuff during the off-season and don't have the time. Can't justify the cost.