Do you shoot factory or load your own ammo?

I reload for my 7SAUM and 280ai and am moving back to factory. Trading the SAUM for a 7 PRC and probably trading the 280ai for a 6.5 PRC. I picked up a 6 CM for the wife that shoots factory well enough for hunting. I just dont really care for reloading and dont shoot enough to justify it all.
I am just going to buy custom ammo from somewhere like Unknownmunitions for my 280AI. Its an UL back country rifle that I only shoot hunting…two boxes will last me several years unless I suck and can’t hit anything.

I haven’t shot a factory round in probably 20 years, at least not in rifle.

But I do shoot several non-SAAMI cartridges so that kind of dictates as such. A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I started hand loading about a year before Covid. The shelves full of primers for $30 a box and H1000 and Varget for $180 a jug still haunt me.

I have no illusions I’m saving money, but if a guy is going to spend an hour unwinding before bed every night I figure I might as well be messing around at my loading bench.

That being said I checked this morning and Nosler gets $85 for a box of 308 165 partitions. My cost using lapua brass hoping to get 10 loadings is around 72 cents a round using factory second partitions or accubonds.

h2so4

WKR
Factory Ammo. No time for the reloading game. Although it would be cool to get some faster speeds from my rifles.

DanimalW

WKR
Factory. Used to reload trap loads when it was economical. I shoot my bow a lot. Pistols and 22 mag some. Rifle maybe a couple rounds each year. Don’t really see the need to practice much with a rifle unless you’re planning on long range hunting or just like it.

I started reloading about a dozen years ago, so I’m still pretty new at it. I wanted to load down for my boy so he wouldn't develop the same flinch I’ve carried since I was 16. Very successful in that venture.

Now I reload for the family and no one shoots factory. .223, 6.5 PRC, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06. Multiple rifles in each chambering. Every rifle gets its own load workup.

I get a kick out of knowing that every animal we’ve killed in the last decade was dropped by a cartridge that came from my press.

First deer, first elk, first antelope. Pretty cool.

P

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
I use Choice for custom ammo. Would not foresee myself enjoying the tinkering aspect, and really don’t wish to commit the time to become proficient. Similar thought process when I chose boating over flying…

Crusader

WKR
I've handloaded for about 25 years or so, rifles only. Currently for 7 different calibers. For me it's a relaxing hobby and I really enjoy finding that near-perfect load and maximizing accuracy. And like Pharmseller above posted, it's fun harvesting game with ammo you loaded.

eric1115

WKR
I would guess that reloaders are overrepresented in the responses to threads like this.

Lots of guys are either proud that they do, or have a goal to start and wish that they did.

Not many folks handload but wish they didn't (at least not many are willing to admit it).

Not many have a sense of satisfaction or pride in shooting factory ammo vs loading their own.

That drives the response in a thread for sure.

(And yes I do handload) 😂

Factory ammo gives me sub moa groups and plenty of speed so I stick with it.

I did reload handgun ammo as there just weren't factory options out there for my purposes, plus it saved me a lot of money if practicing or competing a fair amount.

Totally respect the guys who get into reloading for the fun and even greater accuracy of it though.

Been reloading for about 5 years now. Bought some factory ammo recently; first time in years. Was just for the brass if I'm being honest. Lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Just got into reloading this year, wish I started ten years ago. Main benefits for me are ability to pick specific bullets, but also shifted mindset from using ammo sparingly shooting groups, to stocking up 1000rds worth of components and shooting alot more.

Edit: for those of you saying you would get into it if you just had the space, I said the same thing. Currently I store everything in totes in my garage, including press and scale. When it's time to load I unpack everything, bolt the press to the bench and go at it. When done put everything back in totes. Not as ideal as having a dedicated reloading room but you can make it work with limited storage space and general purpose work bench.
No way would I go through that just to reload. Maybe that's just me

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk