Do you shoot factory or load your own ammo?

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Been reloading for over 50 years. Was taught the basics in shop class in high school.
That is awesome! I went to a small Christian high school. The only shop class the school at the time was woodworking and I was glad we had that. I do wish I had had more shop class exposure like those at public school had, complete with working on cars and welding, etc.

Didn't expect reloading to be a part of it. Or was that just something your teacher decided to teach?

tom338

FNG
Been reloading since 1975, still learning about it also. Only factory I shoot are 223 reloads that I bought for 185 bucks a 1000 and shotgun steel shot

dtrkyman

WKR
I hand load my TSS turkey loads, I do not shoot much, and only hunt big game with a bow so was never interested in reloading. Starting handloading TSS before it was commercially available.

I put together my own arrows though!

tony

WKR
I’d like to learn to reload. Bought one of the Lee loaders for .45/70 years ago when components were priced normal and never did it. Now with prices and scarcity, I wish i had started.
Like many here, I don’t shoot enough, prices and availability, I just buy off the shelf and tear up a little at the check out line. :D

ckeehn

FNG
Saw this thread on another forum and was surprised by the replies. Wondered what the crowd around here is more likely to do.

I've been reloading my own ammo for 15 years. I shoot a lot of oddballs so it's out of necessity but also because I just like making my own .

What say you Roksliders?
I shoot factory. I like the idea of reloading however I just don't have the finances to gather all the equipment to do so.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Let's see:
223 - factory Fiocchi, will handload the 77 TMK at some point
6 creed - factory Berger
6.5 creed - factory Berger
6.5 PRC - factory Hornady and going to try Berger
6.5 SAUM - handloads
7 SAUM - handloads
7 PRC - starting with factory Hornady
300 win mag - factory Berger and Unknown

I'm set up to reload for every one of them, but the Berger and Hornady factory stuff shoots so well, there's really no reason.

Both. I load my own for big game cenerfire bolt action rifles (22-250, 270 Win, 300 WSM, 300 WM). I shoot factory ammo when plinking and for a 6.5 Grendel AR. Also use factory ammo for shotgun and pistol.

Mosby

WKR
I shoot factory in my self defense pistols and shotgun ammo but I reload my rifles.

I have never shot an animal with a factory round, other than small
game with .22 rimfire.
I cast my own bullets for my revolvers, most are from bullet molds
that I have had made to my specs.
The only center fire rifle I own is a lever action in .44 mag.

I have to amend this,
I do have a .223, just in case!

Bob

Last edited:

hiker270

WKR
That is awesome! I went to a small Christian high school. The only shop class the school at the time was woodworking and I was glad we had that. I do wish I had had more shop class exposure like those at public school had, complete with working on cars and welding, etc.

Didn't expect reloading to be a part of it. Or was that just something your teacher decided to teach?
In shop class we had a separate room that was totally set up just for reloading. Shop teacher taught the basic's and kept an eye on the students that wanted to learn to reload. We also had hunters safety in school and we brought our hunting rifles to school.

Saw this thread on another forum and was surprised by the replies. Wondered what the crowd around here is more likely to do.

I've been reloading my own ammo for 15 years. I shoot a lot of oddballs so it's out of necessity but also because I just like making my own .

What say you Roksliders?
I mainly load for me and dad's. 270s, deer/black bear , 130 grain nosler bt , excellent load.

In shop class we had a separate room that was totally set up just for reloading. Shop teacher taught the basic's and kept an eye on the students that wanted to learn to reload. We also had hunters safety in school and we brought our hunting rifles to school.
Sad those days are gone.

Spike elk

WKR
I have been reloading for 20 plus years. A friend's dad was cleaning his garage and decided to get rid of his lifetime of reloading tools and components. My buddy was not interested so his dad gave them to me.

bigmoose

WKR
I've been reloading since the early 70's. I don't remember ever shooting factory ammo. My Dad taught me at a early age and we reloaded everything (except 22). Back then it was much cheaper. Today, not so much.