Do you hit your dog ?

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Some folks can’t help but trying to indoctrinate others with their mysticism. Unfortunately it’s all too prevalent in our society. it’s amazing to me that the same people fail recognize that much of the present day push back against inappropriate insertion of religious zealotry stems from their own behavior to begin with.
This tread is perfect example.
Exactly ! But if I post my views they have a heart attack and go ballistic .

Oregon

WKR
If numbers are the thing I have a couple friends that start guiding in September in Canada and just ended the season in Arkansas. They picked up that many birds the first month. One of the dogs will be running the spring grand. He told me that 5 days the dog will be challenged more than a whole season. I only picked up 306 with 189 being big geese froze up early. I have been around plenty of wwe matches with people and their dogs over 15 years of guiding pheasant hunters but just find it easier to train the dog in the off season so small correction fix any problems that arise.
I think y'all shouldn't get to worked up over some tongue in cheek internet talk. WWE is a thing though. We do it a couple times a season. She gets stuck on stupid. Pick her up and remind her of things. Never beat my dog with hand or foot. But we do get close for a correction talk.

Azone

WKR
My dog just got released from police custody, again, lifted his leg all over city hall on the way to the car. I love that dog. For his first offense all we can think is he saw a cat walking on the top of the backyard fence and went full send managing to jump over the fence while trying to eat the cat. His second run in with the law was a result of me waking up to my garage wide open at 5 30 in the morning and him no where to be found. And yes he has been forcefully corrected and talked to like he cut me off during morning rush hour. Now he is jumping on the trampoline with my kids.

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
I promise I didn't hit my dog today on our Veterans hunt. 3 Vets and a pile of meat.
how often do you shoot a Eurasian?

You silly dog beaters probably just haven’t asked them how they identify. Maybe they’ll listen better and you won’t have to thump them.
That being said. You train your dog the way that works for you. I’ll train my dog the way that works for me. And both of us should seek new methods and ways to improve.
The worst thing you can do is stand by idly while your dog misbehaves, and the 2nd worst thing you can do is keep training the same way over and over and expect different results.

Everyone’s bravado comes out when it comes to their dog. Let’s face it, some people ‘s dogs are crap because they allowed them to be.

tony

WKR
Not often but yeah. Same with my kids.

Kids that never had a spanking land in jail.
I have at last count 500 girls that were never spanked.

Drives me bat shit when I see dogs walking people, or running wild.
GF and I have a Euro bred doberman, and started working with him pretty much after we got him.
He knows German and English commands, we've done protection and bite work along with obedience with him.
These dogs in particular are very head strong, and will do what they want if training is not started early. That said, they are one of the smartest and easiest to train.
Yet, hes still a dog, and wants to meet everybody he sees and will sometimes jump on people in excitement.
We also use a shock collar on him when hes running in the field. More to break his concentration. He has a sister cat and they get along fine. He sees a cat outside he wants to chase it. So he gets a little zap to break his drive.
Dogs like kids can be trained, start early and do something daily. And the shock collar is a great tool, for kids as well. :LOL:

Rokbar

WKR
A dog needs a MASTER, not a human! Let the dog be the alpha and you have a ruined dog. Like the dog shows on tv say, " this breed aims to please it's master."

Pdzoller

WKR
My old female trains our young puppy with her body language. If that doesn’t work, she uses her teeth. There is a big difference between corrective discipline and abuse. I would for sure strike my dog if it is the correct reaction to the situation. I don’t need to hurt them to make my point though. Ultimately we are a pack and I am alpha. No exceptions to this.

All that said, being proactive is a much better solution than being reactive.

So a light slap on the nose or butt Ive done. It does make the dog fear me. Never really really hit a dog (unless it was attacking me).

I found rewarding vs correcting to be more effective to be honest but im old, tired, and human and it slips when im inpatient.

Pdzoller

WKR
Some folks can’t help but trying to indoctrinate others with their mysticism. Unfortunately it’s all too prevalent in our society. it’s amazing to me that the same people fail recognize that much of the present day push back against inappropriate insertion of religious zealotry stems from their own behavior to begin with.
This thread is a perfect example.
🤣 How is your post any different? Rhetorical question. No need to reply. FYI, thread is about training dogs.

UncleBone

WKR
I have had Akitas for the last 25ish years. Almost every one of them, at some point when they are very young will bite me, to try and challenge me for the alpha spot. Every one of them, I've pinned down, and bit them on the ear until they cry, and stop struggling. Not one of them has ever tried to bite me since. I don't hit them though, they wouldn't even feel it, and would probably think it was a game. They do best with positive reward based training, negative correctives are only used very sparingly, they get resentful. This method came from a trainer friend who specializes in guardian breeds, and often has to wrangle in dogs like Pits and Shepards that have gotten out of control and are going to be euthanized if he can't get them back on the rails.
When my dog was about 6 months old, I lived together with some friends, and we had mine, 2 of her sisters, and another dog in the house with us. I bought 4 beef knuckles and handed em out. about 20 minutes later I noticed mine had stolen the 2 from her sisters. I went to take them from her and she snapped at me. I pinned her down, bit her cheek and made sure to spit in her mouth a little while growling. That was the last time she ever got aggresive with any human. And she learned to share a lot better that day too. Now she is my best friend and I can't imagine having a better dog. They say you get one good dog, horse, and woman. If I died tomorrow, Id know I at least got my good dog out of the deal.

TheGDog

WKR
When my dog was about 6 months old, I lived together with some friends, and we had mine, 2 of her sisters, and another dog in the house with us. I bought 4 beef knuckles and handed em out. about 20 minutes later I noticed mine had stolen the 2 from her sisters. I went to take them from her and she snapped at me. I pinned her down, bit her cheek and made sure to spit in her mouth a little while growling. That was the last time she ever got aggresive with any human. And she learned to share a lot better that day too. Now she is my best friend and I can't imagine having a better dog. They say you get one good dog, horse, and woman. If I died tomorrow, Id know I at least got my good dog out of the deal.
Along these same lines, I always tell new owners to do the following: When you feed your Pup, purposefully do things like while they are eating... EFF with their face a little. Like petting over their eyes, snout and mouth as to interrupt their ability to see and get that next bite. IF they show aggression toward you... you pin them down on their backs get close to their faces and give them a very strong "No!" while menacing them for that moment and putting the fear in them. And just as quickly you ut them back on the food bowl. They will resume.

Then... you sporadically push the bowl slightly away from them. Again, same thing, you're testing what reactions they have, so if they have aggro reactions, you can correct it out of them.

It is imperative that everyone does this as pups. The reason? What happens when you have guests and among them is someones toddler? And out of natural curiosity they happen to do something like want to mess with that dog while he happens to be eating, eh?

And before some of you sissies in the back get yours in a twist, most of the time they won't show aggression if you begin doing this early enough in their development. You do it regularly, during their early months and problem solved. Every once in awhile as your dog matures occasionally they'll get the urge to test you in that regard like if you or somebody else happens to remove a treat they're fond of, like a bully-stick... or like when you go to offer them extra special meal like trimmings from a steak.

Oh and feeding time, early on, is an excellent opportunity to start enforcing your position of dominance. Make em sit... and Wait!....until YOU give the Ok to come over and begin eating it. If the jump the starter gun, you simply pick the food back up, make your corrective "No!" sound, such as "Ah!...No..." make them sit again, a distance back away from you and those bowls. Open hand to the nose with "Wait!" command... then proceed to walk back over and lower the bowls back down. In the beginning... you tediously do this until they finally cool their jets and learn to wait for your command.

Whenever you exit or enter your home. YOU go in first and make sure you enforce that! Always! It's all the little subtle things that add up and keep them on a tight ship, and the both of you happier!

UncleBone

WKR
Yep, basically the approach I took, except I did it like an alpha dog would. Figure if you speak their language theyll figure it out and so will you. This one I have now is smart as hell. She figured out at about 8 months old when I put my shoes on in the morning, it meant we were going on a walk or to the park to play ball. One day she got impatient while I was reading the news on my phone and brought one of my shoes and put it on my lap. So I told her to go get the other one and she did. From that day on, I could tell her to bring me my shoes and she will do it. God I love her.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Totally think that is reasonable. People just don't seem to understand disciplining your dog because they let their dog do whatever it wants at home.

I use shock collar while training on the lowest setting possible. Something as simple as an ear twitch. Just enough to cause discomfort and always lead with vibrate. Usually tone/vibrate is all I have to do after being conditioned. As previously mentioned, I don’t want my dogs fearing my hands.