DIY Pullouts, pouches and pockets

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use #3 as well and they work fine though I've seen a Kifaru pull out stuffed so full I thought it would rip and the zipper held up when a #3 might not

I finally got all the stuff I need to get started on my projects! Just have a few questions before I start cutting into the expensive material. While playing with the silnylon, I noticed that it didn't like to lay flat after being folded for an extended period of time. What is the best way to measure and cut silnylon to make sure the measurements are accurate? I have a cutting mat, rotary cutter, and sewing rulers, but the fabric really likes to slide around on the mat.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, if you look back on the last page you can see what live2hunt means by using the plexiglass. Granted, this is kind of overkill if you are only doing one or two. Now, you may be able to iron the material to get rid of some of the folds. I would go with the lowest setting on the iron and see how it goes from there. Finally, just take your time and remember that this isn't an exact science so if you are off here and there it will most likely be hidden in the end anyway.

Have you guys made anything similar to the kifaru meat baggie, quarter bags, or gen2 hanging meat bag? What is the best seam to use on the side of the meat baggie, or any stuff sack for that matter? I haven't been able to find any good pictures of the meat baggie that show the seams.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Faux felled seam is the strongest you can use. You stitch it basically three times. If you use silnylon and seal the seam with silicon it will act as adhesive for both pieces

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
I would think that a meat baggie or quarter bag would be fairly simple as they are basically just stuff sacks, right? I haven't ever seen either of those in person either so I cannot say for sure. For a hanging meat bag, I do have one of those, it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with your own similar design.

As far as seams go, I have made stuff sacks with very simple single stitch seams but for a meat bag I would definitely want to have more reinforcement. I have made some stuff sacks with a flat-feld seam. Below is a photo of the first one I made. Mostly I had read that this was good practice as this type of seam or something similar is what most people use on tents and ridgelines on tarps for extra strength.

IMG_2209_zps88f472dd.jpg

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Faux felled seam is the strongest you can use. You stitch it basically three times. If you use silnylon and seal the seam with silicon it will act as adhesive for both pieces

If you ever get a chance, I think a simple tutorial on this would be fantastic. As I mentioned, I have only played with a flat feld seam a couple times and it was a bit of a pain.

Actually just looked that one up and that isn't too bad at all.

Colonel00 - can you post a few pictures of the hanging meat bag, and maybe some dimensions to give me a good starting point? Inside out showing the seams would be great if you can.

Super Moderator
Staff member
OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
I forgot about that thread. Thanks for bringing it up.

Heh, me too. I think everything on that calculator is still working fine. If you use Sheet 2, remember that it just does a standard cylinder with a constant diameter.

Been working on "Sheet 3" but I'm not sure how well it all works so far so

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heh, me too. I think everything on that calculator is still working fine. If you use Sheet 2, remember that it just does a standard cylinder with a constant diameter.

Been working on "Sheet 3" but I'm not sure how well it all works so far so
Well I stalk you on the forums just for your sewing expertise and tips

Colonel00,

Any luck with pictures of the meat baggie? I've got the dimensions all figured out, but I still need to figure out what the bottom looks like. Is it just a straight seam across the bottom, or are there "triangles" cut out to give the bag some depth?

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Glad you reminded me. Here are a few quick cellphone pics. It's just a single piece of fabric basically in a angled hourglass type of pattern. In the photos it is just stuffed with some old sheets just to give it some form.

20141209_194509.jpg

20141209_194524.jpg

Simple seam along the side

20141209_194544.jpg

Here it is flat. The inside:

20141209_194647.jpg

Outside Front

20141209_194755.jpg

Outside Back

20141209_194813.jpg

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Yep. Never used it myself but you can see on the back at the top are two G-hooks. It also has two compression straps that go through the loops on the front and then around to the pack on either side. Like this:

hangingmeatbag3502.jpg