Deviated Septum

180ls1

WKR
I've only ever been able to breathe out of one nostril my whole life. It's not a structural blockage but more of a one is always clogged with junk/snot. I had a minor procedure a few years back to "fix" it but that never really did much. My mom had an issue with this as well.

Who has had a more intense procedure and what was the before/after like for you?

KsRancher

WKR
I will be able to give a little insight in a few days hopefully. My oldest son crushed his nose in the fall of 2022. Had surgery to repair it. Then another surgery in spring of 2023 because it got chronically infected. Then in the fall of of 2023 had a turbine reduction. Had a CT scan today because he can't get much air thru his left side. The ENT said it looks nice and open up there. No clue why he isn't getting flow. So they are seeing if a CT scan might show why.

TxLite

WKR
I had the surgery 13 years ago a few years after breaking my nose. Recovery process is a little hazy after the Vicodin, but overall don’t remember it being a great time.

When they pull the stints out it feels like they’re pulling your brain out through your nostril. I swear they were like 3”x1” and stitched to your septum

My breathing is better but my left side is still maybe 50% blocked up most of the time.

Overall I think it was worth doing

Last edited:

KsRancher

WKR
I had the surgery 13 years ago a few years after after breaking my nose. Recovery process is a little hazy after the Vicodin, but overall don’t remember it being a great time.

When they pull the stints out it feels like they’re pulling your brain out through your nostril. I swear they were like 3”x1” and stitched to your septum

My breathing is better but my left side is still maybe 50% blocked up most of the time.

The look on my son's face when they pulled those things out. 🤣🤣

I've contemplated the same procedure...glad there's some real world stories that it's not the magic fix.

Matt5266

WKR
I had the surgery 13 years ago a few years after after breaking my nose. Recovery process is a little hazy after the Vicodin, but overall don’t remember it being a great time.

No kidding I remember thinking how is that even possible. I was shocked at how big they were

KsRancher

WKR
I’ve always said it felt like how Egyptians used to pull the brains out as part of mummification
Do you feel like the restricted breathing hindered your physical activity? My son has sights set on winning the state 2 mile in his division. But the restricted breathing is starting to get in his head.

TxLite

WKR
Do you feel like the restricted breathing hindered your physical activity? My son has sights set on winning the state 2 mile in his division. But the restricted breathing is starting to get in his head.
I don’t think it’s been a major hinderance, but I don’t know that I’ve ever fully been at 100%, and where I live is like 99.9% humidity, so it’s hard to breathe regardless.

Rjk300

FNG
My ENT prescribed a Budesonide Inhalation Suspension. It’s a medication I add to 8oz of distilled water with a saline packet to rinse through my nasal cavity. It definitely works for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I had it. Helped me sleep better / snore less until I broke it again. My wife had it and it was great for her. Both of us would do it again.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I am getting a septoplasty on March 25th to hopefully fix my deviated septum. My issue is more structural from breaking my nose a few times. My ENT doc did a physical exam, video scope and then a CT scan. The CT scan was most helpful.

KsRancher

WKR
I am getting a septoplasty on March 25th to hopefully fix my deviated septum. My issue is more structural from breaking my nose a few times. My ENT doc did a physical exam, video scope and then a CT scan. The CT scan was most helpful.
Not to hijack this thread. What did they see on the CT scan that they couldn't see with the scope. I think that thing has been up my son's nose 6 or 7 times now. He had a CT today.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
I had the rhinoplasty and septiplasy done 7-8 years ago. I would do it again. Before I had to wear those stupid breath right nasal strips. Don’t anymore.

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
I had the surgery and it changed my life. But I also had 70%blockage so it was huge. Went from being clogged all the time to actually being able to breathe out my nose but ya the first couple days of recovery wer pretty bad it was totally worth it for me tho

I had the surgery done in December '23 to fix a 90% blockage in one nostril. The surgeon didn't pack my nose after the procedure; it didn't heal properly, and now I have a perforated septum, which is much more of a problem than the deviated septum.

Now I'm looking at potentially a much more invasive surgery than the septoplasty. So it does come with risks. The good news is my nose whistles now...

sndmn11

WKR
I had one in 2019 and another about a month ago. They help quite a bit and my recent scenario was I needed balloons to expand the tubes in my ears and the Dr couldn't get the tools in, so he continued the correction of my septum.

I can't think of a reason to not get it done if the Dr suggests and insurance approves.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Not to hijack this thread. What did they see on the CT scan that they couldn't see with the scope. I think that thing has been up my son's nose 6 or 7 times now. He had a CT today.
The doc can slice and dice the image vertically and horizontally to see structure and detail that is otherwise difficult to see. It really showed the severity of my deviated septum.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I had the surgery done in December '23 to fix a 90% blockage in one nostril. The surgeon didn't pack my nose after the procedure; it didn't heal properly, and now I have a perforated septum, which is much more of a problem than the deviated septum.

Now I'm looking at potentially a much more invasive surgery than the septoplasty. So it does come with risks. The good news is my nose whistles now...
This is my main concern. The doc is saying there is less than a 1% chance of a perforated septum, and in the event it does happen it will require a second surgery which would likely be successful.