Deviated septum/sinus surgery recovery

Grumman

WKR
I sure hope you keep improving. Is the bleeding external out your nose or does it drain down your throat. One of the things I remember about my wisdom teeth surgery was bleeding and staying sick to my stomach from all the blood drainage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I sure hope you keep improving. Is the bleeding external out your nose or does it drain down your throat. One of the things I remember about my wisdom teeth surgery was bleeding and staying sick to my stomach from all the blood drainage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is mostly out of my nose now. But on the first night I was swallowing a lot of blood, and I did throw up.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'm more than 48 hours post surgery. I'm not miserable, but I'm not happy either. Living on oxycodone and sleeping a lot.

The first night was a rodeo. I was still bleeding pretty heavily at midnight, and the on call doctor recommended I go to the ER, so I did. They didn't help much with the bleeding, but helped a lot with the pain management. About 3 AM the pain was almost unbearable, and they gave me fentanyl in addition to my oxycodone. That allowed to sleep a bit.

Since then, I've been able to stay on top of the pain and the bleeding has slowed way down. I'm definitely excited to get these stents out, because they are an inconvenience.
One day at a time.

KsRancher

WKR
Bringing this to the top. Hopefully it could help someone not have to deal with what my son is currently. Oct 30th of 2022 my then 15yr old son passed out and crushed his nose. The ER said "Yep, broken nose." They made us an appointment with the ENT for Nov 2nd. ENT looked up his nose and wasn't impressed. The ER missed his septal hematoma. Did surgery the next day. Had to remove cartlidge in his nose due to ER missing the hematoma and causing the cartlidge to die. Had Doyle splints in for 10days. ENT pulled them out and said "all looks good, no need to see you back".

As winter progress he was always blowing his nose. Never complained of it hurting. Sometime around the end of February he said "I want to go back and have this looked at. This isn't like it was before breaking my nose." So I called and got an appointment. But like everything else it was almost 3 months until they could get him in. ENT took one look up nose today and said "oh, that's not good". He has a chronic infection. Not a sinus infection, but an infection within his nose. They prescribed 3 weeks of antibiotics and then we go back to see what to do next.

So, if you have this surgery and it doesn't seem like exactly like it was or even better. Get in immediately, don't just get let them make an appointment for whenever fits their schedule

Doing this surgery this morning. Excited to see some improvement in my breathing and hopefully able to go longer than a week between sinus infections!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadDogPSD

WKR
Doing this surgery this morning. Excited to see some improvement in my breathing and hopefully able to go longer than a week between sinus infections!

Had it done last Thursday septoplasty & turbinate reduction. So far, so good. I didn't need pain meds other than Tylenol. Able to breath a bit through my nose starting last night.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
The removing of the tampaxes was 1.5 seconds of hell.
2012 maybe? The worst pain in my life. Like handful of hairs at the back of my head being pulled out at once. Then he had to pull the other side. Saw that somebody here was told to keep them moist, and I wasn’t told that.

Local Dr. did the polyp and cleaning surgery and then I started going to a guy at U of M. He said we quit using packing quite a while ago. Could’ve choked the local guy. My BP was 180/120 for a few days after surgery, and the polyps did come back.

Dupixent fixed the sinuses and the asthma.

Had it done last Thursday septoplasty & turbinate reduction. So far, so good. I didn't need pain meds other than Tylenol. Able to breath a bit through my nose starting last night.

Good to hear man!

2012 maybe? The worst pain in my life. Like handful of hairs at the back of my head being pulled out at once. Then he had to pull the other side. Saw that somebody here was told to keep them moist, and I wasn’t told that.

Local Dr. did the polyp and cleaning surgery and then I started going to a guy at U of M. He said we quit using packing quite a while ago. Could’ve choked the local guy. My BP was 180/120 for a few days after surgery, and the polyps did come back.

Dupixent fixed the sinuses and the asthma.

My blood pressure was pretty high, made me stay at the hospital about 4 extra hours because of it.
Feeling decent so far though.

KsRancher

WKR
Looking like my son will have his redone this month. When he had it done last November he came out with coon eyes. Did you guys have some pretty bad bruising afterwards?

BadDogPSD

WKR
Looking like my son will have his redone this month. When he had it done last November he came out with coon eyes. Did you guys have some pretty bad bruising afterwards?
No bruising for me, just some swelling.

I had no bruising at all and very little swelling even

Laned

WKR
That's wild. My doc said he has had only one patient in 15 yrs end up with a black eye and that external bruising generally shouldn't happen.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

Naiche

FNG
I came to on the operating table as they were tapping on my septum with a hammer. They gave me more drugs and I was gone. The surgery helped with snoring and I get almost zero sinus infections now