Crazy hunting stories

Beendare

WKR
EDIt; I added some pics

I won a guided bear hunt for 2 in BC. My buddy Dave shot a bear with his compound in a big clearcut not knowing where he hit it. The bear went into a thicket in the middle of the cut that was maybe 80 acres. The guide refused to go in after it…so we came back the next day.
About 70y in we found where the bear had spent the night…blood everywhere in the green moss…( pic is not loading) but the blood was in 2 spots on each side of a turd….indicating Dave put an arrow through both hind quarters.
4A25E7F7-5B0E-4BA3-A2DF-D2E9630780A6.jpeg
8CA0712C-E128-43BD-912C-05D2DF161441.jpeg

While casting out, I found a bloodtrail that was literally drop on drop of thick blood…literally a line 1/4” wide. I knew that bear was going slow- and close- still glistening. I went and grabbed the others and we snuck in with Dave borrowing a rifle from one of the other guys. We came to a huge downed log….and I stood on another log to look over- there was the bear not 8’ away. Dave was next to me and it all happened fast; as I backed away and pointed that bear leaped over that 5’ high log like superman flying at us. Dave shot that bear like a flushing pheasant 2 feet off the muzzle of that rifle Crumpling him in mid air.

Our guide got tied up in his Labs leash during this whole mess, the lab did circles around his 300# frame and timber…our guide hit the ground right after the bear.

I’ve been charged by hogs many times but that bear in mid air was one of the coolest things Ive seen.

Last edited:
OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
If you search my posts you can find the longer version...

We (hubby & I) were 40 mikes from any town, middle of nowhere Wyoming, October deer tag. I was at camp with the dog, he shoots a big 'un right before sunset.
We use zoleo & phones for communication. I leave to go help haul, but forget the cord for my phone battery bank. He's also forgotten his.
Long story short, me & dog end up using REALLY inaccurate topo maps & get kind of lost, his phone dies, he starts back to camp (I don't know this), I get stalked by something that's too big to be a dog/cougar & too small to be a cow (fairly certain it was a wolf), started to rain 3 hours in with no rain/safety/survival gear, I figure out: #1, I can't tell directions in the dark, & #2, I walk to the left if I don't have landmarks...

By the grace of god he found me about 4 hours in, in the rain, when I had 12% battery left & was fairly uncertain where camp was. It was in the low 50's & raining at the time. I've never thought I'd be the target for a serch & rescue team, but I was AWFULLY darn close that night.

We've completely changed how we communicate & operate in the backwoods. I turn on a tracker every time I leave camp. We only carry compatible cords & power banks for phones, & have emergency supplies in all our bags.
This is one of my fears if I ever decide to do a long hunt on my own. Not even scared of an animal attacking me honestly. For the moment I am way too inexperienced to even consider it. I would definitely do more hunts with a group and a lot more research to attempt a solo hunt. Perhaps I am over thinking it but I'd rather feel prepared then risk it.

The good thing is that I am fortunate enough to have met a group of really experienced guys who have tons of hunts between them and some of them have been at it longer than I've been alive ( I am 33). I am glad you are still with us to tell the story. Thanks for sharing!

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I won a guided bear hunt for 2 in BC. My buddy Dave shot a bear with his compound in a big clearcut not knowing where he hit it. The bear went into a thicket in the middle of the cut that was maybe 80 acres. The guide refused to go in after it…so we came back the next day.
About 70y in we found where the bear had spent the night…blood everywhere in the green moss…( pic is not loading) but the blood was in 2 spots on each side of a turd….indicating Dave put an arrow through both hind quarters.

While casting out, I found a bloodtrail that was literally drop on drop of thick blood…literally a line 1/4” wide. I knew that bear was going slow- and close- still glistening. I went and grabbed the others and we snuck in with Dave borrowing a rifle from one of the other guys. We came to a huge downed log….and I stood on another log to look over- there was the bear not 8’ away. Dave was next to me and it all happened fast; as I backed away and pointed that bear leaped over that 5’ high log like superman flying at us. Dave shot that bear like a flushing pheasant 2 feet off the muzzle of that rifle Crumpling him in mid air.

Our guide got tied up in his Labs leash during this whole mess, the lab did circles around his 300# frame and timber…our guide hit the ground right after the bear.

I’ve been charged by hogs many times but that bear in mid air was one of the coolest things Ive seen.
My goodness what a thrill!

Last year on my first rifle hunt most of the guys I was with had a pistol on them. At first I thought, "Why do they carry a pistol when they have their rifles?" That is until we were quartering a dear we killed and not 40 yards behind us a bear was there walking. He never saw us and we never saw him. Another guy we were with used his radio to ask if we were in the same spot where we killed the deer and when we said yes, he said the bear had to be nearby but he was about 500 yards out and couldn't tell how close the bear was to us. As a total rookie, my rifle wasn't near me and when I got into a good stance, the bear was obscured by a boulder. Luckily he walked away from us and not towards us because by the time I walked to my rifle and got it ready, the bear was about 120 yards away. Meaning if he had originally walked towards us we would have come face to face with it. He never came gave me a good shot and the guy 500 yards away shot at it but missed wide right. Besr got spooked and ran away. I will carry a pistol from now on lol.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
This is one of my fears if I ever decide to do a long hunt on my own. Not even scared of an animal attacking me honestly. For the moment I am way too inexperienced to even consider it. I would definitely do more hunts with a group and a lot more research to attempt a solo hunt. Perhaps I am over thinking it but I'd rather feel prepared then risk it.

The good thing is that I am fortunate enough to have met a group of really experienced guys who have tons of hunts between them and some of them have been at it longer than I've been alive ( I am 33). I am glad you are still with us to tell the story. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks!

The scariest, most ironic, part of this story is the fact that between the two of us, my husband and I have 80 years of wandering & not getting lost between us. I grew up as a wild child in rural America (allowed to wander at will), & he grew up a wild child in urban America, & both continued to wander to varying degrees as adults. I don't know how many thousands of miles there are between the two of us, on foot, on horseback, on wheels...
This "event" was made possible by the perfect number of small things (which, by themselves is a non-event) happening all at once.
This can happen to the best of us if we're not careful...

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll keep it short and simple we once shot a Duiker in the Bush in Africa and Unbeknownst to us about 20 yd to the right in the thick Bush was a steenbok, he heard the gunshot, jumped up in the air landed on his head, broke his neck and died.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I'll keep it short and simple we once shot a Duiker in the Bush in Africa and Unbeknownst to us about 20 yd to the right in the thick Bush was a steenbok, he heard the gunshot, jumped up in the air landed on his head, broke his neck and died.
😂 Seriously? Poor thing lol hopefully it was quick and painless which I imagine it was