Crazy hunting stories

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to get to my 10th post here to post in the classifieds LOL but would anyone mind sharing crazy hunting stories they have? More specifically any near death experiences that made you change the way you hunt?

Geewhiz

WKR
Shot a bear with my bow when I was in my early teens. In my excitement I didnt give him enough time. He appeared dead when I walked up to him. I grabbed his back foot to pull him out of the brush. He pulled his foot back, sat up, looked at me, and then took off over the hill. :ROFLMAO: Just a black bear but it still could have been much worse.

I'd like to hear some more from others.

Last edited:
OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
Ate a Circle K hot dog with 3 cups of coffee at 4:00 AM, then proceeded to go duck hunting in 5’ of water and a mile long kayak paddle from the truck.

Haven’t ate a Circle K hotdog since.
🤣 I'm sorry you went through that LOL thanks for sharing.

Bachto

WKR
Here is one from my dad that happened before I was born and has the pictures to prove it.

My dad grew up in western Oregon outside of Eugene (Pleasant Hill for the locals). As many know it's super thick and you are often hunting in the blackberry thickets. At this time he was hunting on a family friends 130 acres that he lived on at the time. He was still-hunting an area when he bumped a buck and a doe. He pulls up and sees it's a big buck and all he can see is the shoulders up. He aims at the back of the neck and squeezes one off. As he walks up to the buck he's piled up in some blackberries and is still breathing. He thinks that he is just taking some last breaths and sets his gun up against a tree, pulls out his knife. When he turns around the buck is up on his feet. As soon as he sees my dad he charges at him. My dad tries to get behind the tree his gun is against but the deer clips in the back of the legs and knocking him down. He turns around on his back and the deer is trying to rake him like a tree. He has ahold of one antler at the base and is stabbing the deer in the neck with his knife until he finally hits it's jugular. Soon the deer dies literally on top of him and my dad is now covered in blood.

It turns out he hit the deer at the base of the antler knocking it out. When it came too my dad was standing there. He has pictures of him wearing tore up pants and bloody clothes somewhere. The buck is hanging on his wall to this day. The crazier part (and part that is unconfirmed) is he had it scored via the safari club and it was ranked #10 for typical blacktail bucks. He says the guy scoring it didn't believe him it was a blacktail. Not sure what it scored. Maybe someone with a membership can try and look it up.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a bear with my bow when I was in my early teens. In my excitement I didnt give him enough time. He apeared dead when I walked up to him. I grabbed his back foot to pull him out of the brush. He pulled his foot back, sat up, looked at me, and then took off over the hill. :ROFLMAO: Just a black bear but it still could have been much worse.

Omg I was thinking about that last night! I was thinking that my worse fear is to shoot a bear and have it stare me in the face and just lock eyes with me LOL I'm glad you are well though! Thanks for sharing!

Was sold fuel with water in a village. Just filled the tanks and went on our way without knowing. Started to slowly lose power so we gained elevation and turned around. Lost the engine on short final but we made the runway by about 50 feet. Always sump the tanks and use a Mr. Funnel now......

Shot a bear with my bow when I was in my early teens. In my excitement I didnt give him enough time. He appeared dead when I walked up to him. I grabbed his back foot to pull him out of the brush. He pulled his foot back, sat up, looked at me, and then took off over the hill. :ROFLMAO: Just a black bear but it still could have been much worse.

friend of mine had a 450# black bear slap a .45 out of his hand. blood trailed the bear to its bed in thick slashings, but the bear wasn't asleep. he drew his gun and the bear jumped up, swatted at him and took off. ended up finishing the trail the next morning and the bear was stone cold.

Beendare

WKR
Was sold fuel with water in a village. Just filled the tanks and went on our way without knowing. Started to slowly lose power so we gained elevation and turned around. Lost the engine on short final but we made the runway by about 50 feet. Always sump the tanks and use a Mr. Funnel now......
I've always wondered about that....seems to me it would happen more often the way they store fuel in those remote locals.

Out elk hunting a couple years ago I came through an old camp and found their makeshift toilet, it was fortuitous cause I just felt that cramp we all know hit so I sat down started getting stuff done when I hear the plywood start cracking and feel the left front corner drop down…had my life flash before my eyes. Thought I was going to end up falling into some very unpleasant stuff.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
Here is one from my dad that happened before I was born and has the pictures to prove it.

My dad grew up in western Oregon outside of Eugene (Pleasant Hill for the locals). As many know it's super thick and you are often hunting in the blackberry thickets. At this time he was hunting on a family friends 130 acres that he lived on at the time. He was still-hunting an area when he bumped a buck and a doe. He pulls up and sees it's a big buck and all he can see is the shoulders up. He aims at the back of the neck and squeezes one off. As he walks up to the buck he's piled up in some blackberries and is still breathing. He thinks that he is just taking some last breaths and sets his gun up against a tree, pulls out his knife. When he turns around the buck is up on his feet. As soon as he sees my dad he charges at him. My dad tries to get behind the tree his gun is against but the deer clips in the back of the legs and knocking him down. He turns around on his back and the deer is trying to rake him like a tree. He has ahold of one antler at the base and is stabbing the deer in the neck with his knife until he finally hits it's jugular. Soon the deer dies literally on top of him and my dad is now covered in blood.

It turns out he hit the deer at the base of the antler knocking it out. When it came too my dad was standing there. He has pictures of him wearing tore up pants and bloody clothes somewhere. The buck is hanging on his wall to this day. The crazier part (and part that is unconfirmed) is he had it scored via the safari club and it was ranked #10 for typical blacktail bucks. He says the guy scoring it didn't believe him it was a blacktail. Not sure what it scored. Maybe someone with a membership can try and look it up.
Awesome story! I'm sure he never made the same mistake again! Thanks for sharing!

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
friend of mine had a 450# black bear slap a .45 out of his hand. blood trailed the bear to its bed in thick slashings, but the bear wasn't asleep. he drew his gun and the bear jumped up, swatted at him and took off. ended up finishing the trail the next morning and the bear was stone cold.
This is why I started another thread asking if people take their handguns with them while hunting! After a few replies I will definitely not be hunting without mine. I guess it can all depend what you're hunting at all but as one guy said, there really is no reason not to have one on you. Thanks for sharing!

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bunch from previous generations that I will never put on the internet. But crazy none the less.
I have one goose hunting from blinds, one buddy and I are pretty green, and figure the loner above us is to high. 2nd buddy 20 yards behind us drops the goose, and lands right beside my blind. I'm guessing 20 lbs free falling would have caused a pretty significant headache.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
My dad and a buddy of mine were out in a duck blind one morning. My dad starts ripping some of the worst farts I have ever smelled to this day. And it was constant. After about an hour of this my buddy and I had enough and left.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Just saw this post. Best one I have. My friend was deer hunting in Northern Wisconsin, and I was along for the ride, glassing for him. I spotted a decent six pointer ( eastern count). For the north woods, it was a long shot, 150 yards across an open field. He got set up and let it fly, I watched the deer stand there with not so much as a flinch. He asked if I thought he hit, saying no way I missed. I told him, don't be so sure and rack another round, which he did. He took a deep breath and ready the shot, about then the deer dropped straight down. he had made a great heart shot and the deer was standing there dead and didn't even know it. About thirty seconds had passed between first shot and taking aim for second shot. Im looked at him and said, WTF, NICE SHOT.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
Lol nice. Those kind of shots are the shots we all hope we take when killing an animal so they go down as quickly and painlessly as possible. Thanks for sharing!

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I was still hunting huge swamp with my bow for hogs last spring. I saw a coyote wallowing in some sort of dead animal remains, which allowed me to sneak in relatively close. I shot him right behind the shoulder at about 40 yards, but a little high. He ran into a thicket, so I went and retrieved my arrow while I waited him to expire. About that time he ran out of the thicket and cowered in the corner of a deadfall. He was pretty angry at this point, but let me get close enough to shoot him again with the exact same arrow. That one did the trick.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
Kudos to you for getting close enough to retrieve your arrow and shoot him with the same one lol. That is a great story to tell for sure

bigmoose

WKR
This happened back in 1962 in Montana. This was our 2nd hunting trip to Montana. The first trip we hunted the Madison Range but this time we thought we would hunt the Gravelly Range. We were camped on Ruby Creek. My Mom and dad took me and my brother out of school for this two week elk/deer hunt. I was 12 and my brother was 10. The trip itself was quite an adventure, coming from Northern California, vehicles being what they were back then.

There were seven of us in all, me and my brother, my folks and three of my Dad's friends. One of my Dad's friends, Bob, was a CHP and was quite the gung ho macho type.

We had been hunting for three or four days and had a couple deer hanging. There had been several bear tracks in the area near our camp and the men started to worry about a bear getting into our camp and meat. About a 1/4 mile upstream from camp was an old mine tunnel going back into the mountain. There was quite a bit of hair and a few bones scattered around the mine entrance along with bear tracks.

Anyway, Bob decides he would go in the tunnel and get the bear. He took the plug out of his 12 gauge Rem. 870 and loaded it up with double ought buck. One of the other guys went with him to hold the flashlight. The rest of us waited near the entrance.

So the two guys creep slowly into the tunnel ready to shoot the bear. Bob has the safety off and his finger on the trigger. There is a lot more hair and bones the further they go. They finally get to the end of the tunnel. No bear.

When they came out, everyone was all smiles and cracking jokes. Bob walked a few feet away and pulled his shotgun down on a stump and pulled the trigger...... CLICK !! The look on his face... all the color drained from his face. He jacked the unfired round out and proceeded to shoot every cartridge from his box of shells into that stump. The first round was the only one that did not fire.

I was in third grade so about 8 or 9 years old. My buddy (hunting partner to this day) and his dad took me out with them to run his dad's trapline. After catching a few coons in drowning sets we moved over to another stretch of the line. His dad sent us two boys to check a snare up on the hill while he went down to the creek to check a few beaver sets. Basically he'd had no activity on that snare and probably wanted some time to himself because we had to follow the fence about 200 yards to get to the set.

Well when we got there, what do we find??? One pissed off badger with a snare around his body in front of his hips. He had that snare so wrapped up in the barbed wire fence, and had clawed the ground so much he was almost suspended now. Us boys had no gun, but we didn't want to go for help. So after scrounging around for a couple of minutes we found a 3ft piece of old square tubing. Two quick knocks on the head and we've got a dead badger!

Took us about 10 minutes to get that thing unwound and the snare unwired. Being bigger than my buddy I sling the snare over my shoulder holding the loop you secure to the fence in my hand leaving the badger on my back just over my shoulder. My buddy carries the tubing along to show his dad how we had done the poor thing in.

We make it about 20 yards when all hell breaks loose! The previously "dead" badger wakes up snarling and clawing. Being a genius I had worked my four fingers into the snare loop and while I shrugged the demon off my back I couldnt get the loop off my hand! So here I am, intermittently running away from an angry badger that is leashed to my body, and intermittently chasing said badger when he turns trying to get slack to get my hand out of the loop it's wedged in! In the mean time my buddy is wacking away with that square tubing hitting everything but the damn badger! Finally my hand comes out and the badger has taken a few body blows. I grab the tubing from my buddy and proceed to turn the badgers head to mush for good measure. As we catch our breath from this near death experience, we hear laughter.

The old man is standing about 60 yards away propped up against a tree laughing so hard he would fall over if it wasn't supporting him. Apparently the beaver traps were all just as he had left them and he had stared heading up to see what was taking us so long. He hadn't made it far when he claims to have heard a blood curdling scream (I don't recall that part) and he ran into a clearing to see the majority of the circus take place. According to him he was never very concerned as the Badger was supposedly moving at half speed and pretty messed up. . . I dispute his version of events.

As any good father/mentor would, the old man skinned that badger and had the hide tanned just for the memories! He likes to bring the story up now and again in elk camp, he still finds it a lot funnier than my buddy and I did!