Cramping…

Ucsdryder

WKR
I know…drink water…use electrolytes.

For the past 5-8 years I’ve had issues with cramping in my quads, right above my knees. I can push through for a little while but at some point it becomes debilitating to the point I can’t walk. Walking in snow or carrying heavy loads brings it on more quickly. I’ve worked to strengthen my quads, I do cycle classes at the gym, try to hydrate, but at some point it happens. Anybody else have a similar issue or a fix? Any ideas?

Updated 9/8…

Update…

Spent 4 days pushing hard this weekend. The last day my quad finally started to cramp. I downed a mustard packet, gross! Nothing…another mustard packet, gross! Nothing…

I took a Dr. Berg’s electrolyte powder packet in some water…nothing.

3 minutes later, the cramp was gone!!

Usually the cramp will subside then come back after a few minutes a little worse. The process repeats until I can’t walk.

Not sure if it was the mustard or powder, I should have given the mustard more time to work, but wow, what a life saver!

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I get the cramps behind and in my knee so bad I wont be able to walk. Only thing that helps is more potassium.
Eat bannana everyday or if you cant or wont take relyte. I drink it everymorning.
ancedotal data but my sodium levels in my bloodwork is always 130 which is on the low end of normal.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I get the cramps behind and in my knee so bad I wont be able to walk. Only thing that helps is more potassium.
Eat bannana everyday or if you cant or wont take relyte. I drink it everymorning.
ancedotal data but my sodium levels in my bloodwork is always 130 which is on the low end of normal.

I have a physical next month. Do they measure sodium levels on the normal panel or is that something I have to request?

BBob

WKR
In my earlier years it was never an issue but as I got older for some unknown reason it became an issue especially night cramps. Doc never found anything outstanding in tests and said it can be an issue and no reason why. He said he could not and would not prescribe the malaria meds that were used in the past for this. Basically I had to find my own solution. In order to avoid cramping I have to religiously make sure I supplement with an electrolyte solution. I use electrolytes before workouts and alternate throughout the day between them and water. I drink 8oz or so of electrolytes as I go to bed to help avoid night cramps, if I don't I'll suffer. In the past I tried just supplementing potassium and that didn't do it but a more rounded electrolyte solution did. I also aim to drink by the clock 6-8oz of something per waking hour. Yes I piss a lot but it beats cramping especially at night.

To add: I've made up my own solution for everyday that mimics LMNT and tend to use NUUN tablets for in the field.

Overdrive

WKR
We see plenty of guys cramping when in hunting camp, the best thing that has worked for them and we continue to use is a tablespoon of mustard, I also carry the little mustard packets in my pack if 9me of my clients cramps up during the day. May taste horrible but it works.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
We see plenty of guys cramping when in hunting camp, the best thing that has worked for them and we continue to use is a tablespoon of mustard, I also carry the little mustard packets in my pack if 9me of my clients cramps up during the day. May taste horrible but it works.
Ok I’ll bite. What the hell is in mustard that helps? Seems like an easy quick fix to have a couple packets in your pack!

LaHunter

WKR

For the past 5-8 years I’ve had issues with cramping in my quads, right above my knees. I can push through for a little while but at some point it becomes debilitating to the point I can’t walk. Walking in snow or carrying heavy loads brings it on more quickly. I’ve worked to strengthen my quads, I do cycle classes at the gym, try to hydrate, but at some point it happens. Anybody else have a similar issue or a fix? Any ideas?
Any chance you are using creatine as a supplement? This can contribute to cramping

fmyth

WKR
Ok I’ll bite. What the hell is in mustard that helps? Seems like an easy quick fix to have a couple packets in your pack!
Acetic acid. Same ingredient in vinegar and pickle juice. "Acetic acid is postulated to mitigate cramping by decreasing alpha motor neuron activity through oropharyngeal stimulation and inhibitory neurotransmitter production, while aiding in the role acetylcholine plays in muscle contraction and relaxation." https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32459412/

Most people are more scared of sodium than they should be. LMNT is awesome and double or triple the electrolytes of most brand with no sugar. When hunting I'll have 3 or 4 a day, it's life changing.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Mustard packets or hot sauce packets.

Learned of this when a buddy did an obstacle course race of some type and became crippled from cramping so bad that he fell to the ground in 10/10 agony. A fellow competitor offered him a few mustard packets, which he took and was able to successfully complete the race. Afterwards he stated that he’d seen empty mustard packets throughout the course and had no idea why.

Hoghead

WKR
Electrolytes, zink,sodium , potassium, and hydration. I will drink coconut water and use electrolytes pre hike and start a few days before with the other stuff. I haven't had a problem the last few years doing this. Drink water on your hike, but be careful about overdoing it. You can piss out all your Electrolytes and minerals.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk