Cramping…

DuckDogDr

WKR
Girl I work with does 100 and 200 mile bike rides and keeps a separate bottle of pickle juice

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I have a physical next month. Do they measure sodium levels on the normal panel or is that something I have to request?

Wanted to touch on this question as it didn’t seem to be addressed yet. The most basic lab work that is often done routinely is a CBC (complete blood count), BMP or CMP (Basic or Comprehensive metabolic panel) and sometimes additional tests for thyroid function (TSH, Thyroid stimulating horizons) or diabetes (Hgb-A1c or Hemoglobin A1C). The BMP will check basic electrolytes (sodium, potassium, bicarbonate) as well as kidney function (Creatinine/GFR). The CMP adds liver function tests (AST, ALT, Alk-Phos). However, this can commonly miss other electrolytes that may play a role in cramps, most notable magnesium, which is a separate test.

Lots of good advice here that I would echo. In my experience, the mainstay of treatment is proper hydration and adequate electrolytes. If you take medications for you heart, kidneys, diabetes or blood pressure these can sometimes play a role in electrolyte imbalances and/or dehydration. Stretching can also be helpful.

Other commonly suggested remedies that seem to work anecdotally but have minimal science behind them include mustard, hot sauce, pickle juice and tonic water. When I provide medical coverage for sports events it seems the athletes are always trying these things with mixed results. Personally my theory is that these things all have strong flavors and “shock” you in a way that takes your attention off the cramp and allows it to relax. No science or data to back that up though.

Edit - Wanted to mention that magnesium is often overlooked in most supplements and electrolyte drinks, so when I have patients complaining of cramps it’s often the first thing I check in their labs and then supplement if it is low.

sivart

WKR
I hunted/guided most of Sept last year in the high country. I quit drinking in July. I will tell you, there is something about inflammation with alcohol.
I never hunted harder. And I never really got sore or cramped. It pretty much sold me. If you want to maximize your hunting performance, don't drink alcohol.

FYI, I was never a heavy drinker. It doesn't take much to have neg effects. JMO

squirrel

WKR
all the men in my family history have leg cramps Every one swears by a shot of vinegar. A lot of above posters beat around the bush with stuff that CONTAINS vinegar, just grow a pair and chug the real deal, you can feel the cramp recede as you are putting the bottle away, its that good.

Now dealing with the taste is something else as you need a large swallow of straight vinegar, so if you cut it with sweet drink you have to gag down more of it, no way around it. For me I need about an inch in a red solo cup maybe 1.25". It aint pretty but when you are squealing like a school girl it is the lesser of two evils. My camping gear holds a water bottle about half full of white vinegar, the most frequently used item in my first aid bag.

And like the generation before me Im finding out it only gets worse with age.

GoatPackr

WKR
For my entire life I have been plagued with sevier cramps. From sports in high school to swimming and hiking. I tried everything and just wouldn't work. Drinking more water helped but after a good hard day of backpacking I just knew I was going to be screaming for my life.
I discovered LMNT 2 years ago and it has changed my life. I use to get all sorts of cramps in my ribs, feet legs and even my chest.
LMNT has the right electrolytes and enough of them to actually work. Every other sports drink I tried was a joke. They had just enough to say they had electrolytes but were mostly sugar. Sugar actually uses electrolytes to digest. Drinking more and more water actually flushes electrolytes out of your system leaving you thirsty. Without proper electrolytes your body can't use the water and it just passes right through you.
I drink 1 packet per day and on harder physical days 2.
I make sure to drink 1 about 1 hr before going to bed if backpacking or 1 hr before getting back to the truck. No more getting 15 min down the road and having to try and stop the truck with both legs cramped up and getting out sounding like I'm being torn apart by some unseen monster.
Not 1 single time have I had a problem if I've been drinking my LMNT.
MY whole family now drinks LMNT. No soda or energy drinks. Just water and 1 LMNT per day has changed our lives. Even my wife thought I was crazy but now she loves it.

Kris

Lots of discussion on electrolytes and supplements, but let's talk about your workouts. You mentioned doing strength work and cycling. What does the strength work entail?
Nothing will prepare you for carrying heavy loads up and down hill like carrying heavy loads up and down hill. Even if you are in cycling shape, your legs might get sore and cramp if you haven't been training sport-specific- hiking with a pack, stair climbs, weighted box step-ups, etc.

I never used to get cramps. When I started doing longer bicycling distances, I developed cramps for the first time in my life. This brought the cramps to an end. I can ride 50-100 miles without cramping.

Crusader

WKR
I never used to get cramps. When I started doing longer bicycling distances, I developed cramps for the first time in my life. This brought the cramps to an end. I can ride 50-100 miles without cramping.

It's funny, everyone's body chemistry can be different, at least to some extent. I'm a road bike rider and usually on most long rides (60 miles or more), I get leg cramps, even though I use Sportlegs. A couple riding buddies use that and it works for them. I've been experimenting with pickle juice and it seems like it might help somewhat. I think I may give LMNT a try....

It's funny, everyone's body chemistry can be different, at least to some extent. I'm a road bike rider and usually on most long rides (60 miles or more), I get leg cramps, even though I use Sportlegs. A couple riding buddies use that and it works for them. I've been experimenting with pickle juice and it seems like it might help somewhat. I think I may give LMNT a try....
You got that right. We are all very different. I approached these from a "what do I stand to lose trying" viewpoint. They worked. Def worth a try and not nearly as nasty as pickle juice.

Crusader

WKR
Funny thing is, I LOVE pickle juice and other sour/bitter flavors. Sauerkraut, anyone? Wife thinks I'm crazy. She may be right!

GoatPackr

WKR
If you look at the common thread with all these things that fix cramps for everyone they have a common thread. Salts and electrolytes. You can't have proper hydration without them. For me the best way to put that all in one simple to use product that wasn't loaded with all the extra garbage was LMNT.
I will still say that eating and drinking properly is still the most important. Getting electrolytes from a good diet first is priority.

Kris

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
I had a similar problem with cramping in my hamstrings after a lot of exercise. After trying stretching, vitamins and such, I figured out that the problem in my hamstrings was being caused by weakness in my glutes and hips. I started weight training and built up the strength in my glutes and hips along with some hip rotation stretching and have not had any more problems with my hamstrings.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Update…

Spent 4 days pushing hard this weekend. The last day my quad finally started to cramp. I downed a mustard packet, gross! Nothing…another mustard packet, gross! Nothing…

I took a Dr. Berg’s electrolyte powder packet in some water…nothing.

3 minutes later, the cramp was gone!!

Usually the cramp will subside then come back after a few minutes a little worse. The process repeats until I can’t walk.

Not sure if it was the mustard or powder, I should have given the mustard more time to work, but wow, what a life saver!

Thanks guys!

bb1

FNG
I know…drink water…use electrolytes.

For the past 5-8 years I’ve had issues with cramping in my quads, right above my knees. I can push through for a little while but at some point it becomes debilitating to the point I can’t walk. Walking in snow or carrying heavy loads brings it on more quickly. I’ve worked to strengthen my quads, I do cycle classes at the gym, try to hydrate, but at some point it happens. Anybody else have a similar issue or a fix? Any ideas?

Updated 9/8…

Update…

Spent 4 days pushing hard this weekend. The last day my quad finally started to cramp. I downed a mustard packet, gross! Nothing…another mustard packet, gross! Nothing…

I took a Dr. Berg’s electrolyte powder packet in some water…nothing.

3 minutes later, the cramp was gone!!

Usually the cramp will subside then come back after a few minutes a little worse. The process repeats until I can’t walk.

Not sure if it was the mustard or powder, I should have given the mustard more time to work, but wow, what a life saver!
Pack a lacrosse ball to roll on, adds weight but worth it. Mustard packets are also great, if you’re already cramping

Supplement wise- LMNT packets are more expensive than Liquid IV, but have a better mix of sodium, potassium and magnesium.