Cramping…

Beendare

WKR
I get those leg cramps especially when I over do it.

I've tried many things that didn't work inc a specific leg cramp supplement

what works for me is a mixed edit;Calcium, Magnesium/potassium supplement and bananas.

Last edited:

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
Take tumeric every day and do the things you also said. If it comes on during physical activity, try adding beta alanine before. I use to get cramps a lot before doing this.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Electrolytes. I went from horrible night cramps every night after hiking hard in the mountains to no cramps. I use the powdered pedialyte mix once per day.

LoggerDan

WKR
I have nothing to support this claim, it smoked salmon seems to do the trick for me.

John, get a good amino acid supplement and take it. When I used to cruise timber everyday, I had that issue in the heat of summer through late fall. Frank Gatorade, ate bananas, took electrolytes, salt, potassium, etc…. It helped until I’d stop. Then my buddy told me about the amino acid supplement. Now, when I feel it coming on? I take it for about a week every night. Problem solved.

Most people are more scared of sodium than they should be. LMNT is awesome and double or triple the electrolytes of most brand with no sugar. When hunting I'll have 3 or 4 a day, it's life changing.
Sodium is everyone’s friend. If you deplete your body of it by exertion, potassium and magnesium are quick to follow. So, eat it. Eat it a lot more if sweating a lot everyday.

I get severe cramps in my hamstrings just like my Dad did before me. Water helps somewhat. Theraworks relief lessens the extent and the duration somewhat. The diminish as I get in better shape in the summer but nothing makes them go away. Even my doctor took the-- just live with it stance. I'm guessing my last cramp will be rigor mortis.

Traveler

WKR
This is entirely anecdotal but I can get cramps below the knee. When I stretch routinely it doesn’t happen. They are also more frequent when I am stressed.

Kindo

WKR
Any hx of heart conditions? Might be worth a consult with your gp to see if you can supplement some Magnesium into your diet.

We tend to have diets with a lot of calcium/Vit D which can throw your body out of balance and leave you more prone to cramping. Mg can help in countering that.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Apple Cider Vinegar. WITH the MOTHER.
Mix a tablespoon with some juice and water.
Daily.

I can't drink any beer anywhere close to a hike.

I use hydrate and recover. At least one per day when hiking.
Keep extra and lmnt for pack outs.

Drink bcaa before bed. This really helps, I can go to bed w smoked legs. And without a doubt this doubles my recovery.

Salt stick chewables in hip belt and bino pouch for pack outs etc where I'm out of water or can't really get to it because a slapped on to much meat and am throwing it down for the truck.

Cold Gatorade always at the truck.

I used to get leg cramps pretty bad, especially when high stepping deadfall all day.
Someone recommended the Hylands leg cramp pills & those things work wonders for me. I take a couple in the morning & again before bed. Haven't had one since.
I make myself drink at least 100 oz of water each day & usually mix in one of those electrolyte pouches.

Back in the marathon Mtn bike racing days I would always carry a bottle filled with pickle juice. That in addition to an adequate electrolyte hydration drink mix cured all cramps. i have never cramped since.

Back in the marathon Mtn bike racing days I would always carry a bottle filled with pickle juice. That in addition to an adequate electrolyte hydration drink mix cured all cramps. i have never cramped since.
For a year and a half after chemotherapy, I had to go routinely to the hospital for sodium, potassium, and magnesium IV’s if I was working hard and sweating a lot. When my oncologist realized my body wasn’t going to be able to keep these nutrients, he told me to go buy my favorite brand of dill pickle. To eat them several times a day, then drink sone on days I had really sweated a lot. I did just that and it’s been almost 9 years and I haven’t had an IV since.

Stretching before and after, eating 2-3 bananas before, sometimes bringing 1-2 and drinking pickle juice seems to help me tremendously.

Rich M

WKR
I get calf cramps - magnesium powder, think they call it calm helps quite a bit. I also go heavy on that pink salt when I know I'm gonna be sweating a lot.

The pickle juice comment reminded me - honey helps - a tablespoon of honey. Or mix the honey in with apple cider vinegar - works great.

Beendare

WKR