CPW - ‘Righting’ some Wrongs

Actually @sndmn11 after looking in the CPW regs you and I are both wrong. It only shows a point cost for rockies, goats, and moose.

The $9.17 fee is for application processing. It’s not even a point fee. So I guess my elk point will be free this year!!!!
715D9E6D-4C56-4D77-B544-2C3292648627.png
So what is it? Are elk points free, or do they cost $9.17? And since you keep saying they cost $9.17, why does the application processing fee count as the point fee but the QL and Habitat fee don’t. The QL and Habitat fee have as much to do with it as the App Fee.

Rich M

WKR
What would make you want to come all the way from Florida to hunt one of the most difficult areas for elk in Colorado, especially with the cost of the small game licenses tacked on?
A little knowledge goes a long ways - i hunted there and know a couple guys who hunt there regularly.

You are correct with the tag price being high. That’s gonna factor in. I have 2 firemen who want to go, might be an opportunity for this old man.

sndmn11

WKR
Actually @sndmn11 after looking in the CPW regs you and I are both wrong. It only shows a point cost for rockies, goats, and moose.

The $9.17 fee is for application processing. It’s not even a point fee. So I guess my elk point will be free this year!!!!
View attachment 495372
So what is it? Are elk points free, or do they cost $9.17? And since you keep saying they cost $9.17, why does the application processing fee count as the point fee but the QL and Habitat fee don’t. The QL and Habitat fee have as much to do with it as the App Fee.

That's the spirit! (Insert semi-deep quote and gif about perspective)

Let's move on from this so people can finish talking about the decision cnelk posted.

Less

FNG
I have only read about 4 pages of this thread so far and will eventually read the rest of it. But just want to throw my two cents into this discussion.

I don’t thank there are any right or wrong solutions that have been mentioned in what I have read so far. Myself I don’t think there is now or every will be. Because like someone mentioned in one of there post. The population of Colorado went from 3 million to 6 million from 2009 ? I think it was to what I am sure more than 9 million now ?

Regardless the main issue is overcrowding not just in Colorado but world wide. Things like making OTC tags all draw, giving residents 90/10 tags etc…, are just band adds. One member mentioned right now it’s state’s fighting NR over places to hunt. That member said it won’t be long it will be the counties fighting other counties for not just hunting opportunities.

This arguing between hunters Residents and NR isn’t going to get nothing solved. Won’t hurt anything either because it’s going to just continue going down hill.

sundance1

FNG
This all started when the CPW did not take into account how fed up the resident are with the quantity and quality of the resident herds. They, and hunting magazines ,may be able to hide the truth, but from locals? So they weren't getting enough resident applications for 1st choice archery to fill the 65% allocation to residents. Once it went into the 2nd draw, all their allocation guidelines went out the window. When the final number of allocated tag came out and it showed non residents getting the 65%, there were some pissed residents. And the emails were burning the fiber optics.
I was in on some meetings with the CPW regional office several years back. The archery tag OTC numbers were going up to fast, with there becoming too many bow hunters in the field. Their theory is that the bulls were getting pushed away from the cows and not breeding them.....i agree some, disagree some, Anyway, there was getting to be 2500 plus bowhunters in the unit i hunt. Through putting it on a draw. they have got it down around 700 or so. But rifle 2nd and 3rd season is still OTC, and CPW says that is untouchable because of the revenue generated..
Many residents want the CPW to start managing their herds, elk and mule deer, with an emphasis on quality as much as quantity. All the guys I talk to would sacrafice a year of not hunting, and would even pay more if there are quality animals to hunt. So, if they cut non resident tags, and cut tags as a whole, tt should increase the health of the herds, and the non residents who do draw, should see a major uptick in the quality of the bulls and bucks. There is the political side of this....resident vs non resident, prices paid etc. As long as whatever the CPW does brings about healthier herds, that's all I care about. When our local herds were getting down to 40-50 percent of what they were 10 years ago, major, drastic change is needed. The CPW sometimes does bone head things. They limit tags in some units, which means more hunters just switch over to an OTC unit, and in 5 years those units are where their limited units are now. Go figure.

sundance1

FNG
No comment, my answer might incriminate me....and I'm not alone.
CPW did not did not want this. Is an east slope liberal agenda and us west sloper's won't be licking our wounds. It's on to plan B.

Every state needs to triple the cost for tags and they should not allow bonus points to be purchased separately .
That may solve a lot of point creep -
If California has 2 NR elk tags - only two tags should be given to Californians .
If Nevada has 20 arizona residents with NR elk tags - a cap should be placed on Nevada residents .
If Utah should be the same -

Maybe this would help people choose where they want or should live .

If I’m towing a camper stocked with food - the only revenue that state is getting from me is a couple tanks of fuel and my license cost . I already have my gear and don’t want to spend time in town or going out to some crap whole place to eat.

Raise tag prices for NR hunters through the roof to equate to a landowner tag at a minimum.

sundance1

FNG
I agree. I would pay more as a resident for better hunting. I get so tired of cussing out the CPW, the forest service, hikers, bikers, barking dogs, hunters who bugle non stop, hunters who pay no mind to the wind. I think i spend more time reminiscing on the good old days, they will never happen again. As the one guy stated, to damn many people, and since Covid, so many people beat feet to the woods.

NR post of the year. lmfao
As a NR I would pay
3500 for a decent AZ Elk tag
70000 for a top tier .
2000 for colorado bull elk (otc unit)
3500 for New Mexico
Utah 7000
Nevada 7000
If you miss one year - you loose all bonus points. Cost to apply is a flat $500 tax deductible donation to the state you are applying for.
Resident fees can stay the same .

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
As a NR I would pay
3500 for a decent AZ Elk tag
70000 for a top tier .
2000 for colorado bull elk (otc unit)
3500 for New Mexico
Utah 7000
Nevada 7000
If you miss one year - you loose all bonus points. Cost to apply is a flat $500 tax deductible donation to the state you are applying for.
Resident fees can stay the same
No one is preventing you from donating those amounts with the cost of the tag you buy to help the game and fish department out. I would love to move west...my wife, wants to stay close to home to help her parents live out their days in their house. I think your statement in a previous post oversimplifies someone's ability to move states to avoid NR tag prices.

I’m a non resident and I agree that there should be changes. It is ridiculous for residents to not be able to get tags or deal with the over crowding. I feel it in my home state at times.

But… I also hunt strictly on Federally owned land and I also pay an astronomically higher tag fee to hunt on that federal land (Colorado is 120% higher). Don’t forget the revenue that is pumped into every little mountain town each fall. It’s quite a bit for those people. Be it gas stations, motels, grocery stores etc. If you want to limit NR in favor of more residents, I understand. But the problem isn’t the NRs. The problem is mismanagement by the state in every aspect. Maybe this is a step in the right direction. No doubt it has become crazy in the last 15 years or so.

I hate to lose opportunities to chase animals, once they are gone, they’ll never come back. There has to be a middle ground somewhere. The losers are our children and their children. They’ll never know mountains without pressure.
Residents spend as much or more in those small little mountain towns. Probably more because they go more often and noone ever brings that aspect up.

KsRancher

WKR
This all started when the CPW did not take into account how fed up the resident are with the quantity and quality of the resident herds. They, and hunting magazines ,may be able to hide the truth, but from locals? So they weren't getting enough resident applications for 1st choice archery to fill the 65% allocation to residents. Once it went into the 2nd draw, all their allocation guidelines went out the window. When the final number of allocated tag came out and it showed non residents getting the 65%, there were some pissed residents. And the emails were burning the fiber optics.
I was in on some meetings with the CPW regional office several years back. The archery tag OTC numbers were going up to fast, with there becoming too many bow hunters in the field. Their theory is that the bulls were getting pushed away from the cows and not breeding them.....i agree some, disagree some, Anyway, there was getting to be 2500 plus bowhunters in the unit i hunt. Through putting it on a draw. they have got it down around 700 or so. But rifle 2nd and 3rd season is still OTC, and CPW says that is untouchable because of the revenue generated..
Many residents want the CPW to start managing their herds, elk and mule deer, with an emphasis on quality as much as quantity. All the guys I talk to would sacrafice a year of not hunting, and would even pay more if there are quality animals to hunt. So, if they cut non resident tags, and cut tags as a whole, tt should increase the health of the herds, and the non residents who do draw, should see a major uptick in the quality of the bulls and bucks. There is the political side of this....resident vs non resident, prices paid etc. As long as whatever the CPW does brings about healthier herds, that's all I care about. When our local herds were getting down to 40-50 percent of what they were 10 years ago, major, drastic change is needed. The CPW sometimes does bone head things. They limit tags in some units, which means more hunters just switch over to an OTC unit, and in 5 years those units are where their limited units are now. Go figure.
I don't understand why residents would be pissed that the NR got 65% when they had the chance to get that tag instead of the NR when all they had to do was put it down as 1st choice. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

sundance1

FNG
Some guys are like children...don't want a toy until someone else has it. But, there are many factors. A lot of guys are hamstrung because they put in for a quality unit that they got points in with their first choice, and then a limited unit with their second. Their theory, i think, is that the 65% resident should be adhered too through all choices. Some guys are just pissed that CPW has let the herd numbers get this low.