CPW - ‘Righting’ some Wrongs

sndmn11

WKR
I also had not gone through all of them. I had actually looked more closely at deer vs. elk cause I thought I may be affected. Turns out none of the deer hunts on my possible list meet the criteria for the change. For elk I'm not even close to any unit that could change.

The link put up by @cnelk is a good one. Looking at it in more depth now.

That's kind of why I asked who knew the hunt codes that were involved. My unfounded impression is that people were feeling negative assuming their 2023/2024 goal hunt code (or all codes) were changed.

The link he posted is from a few years ago, so one needs to look at 2021, 2020, and 2019 preference points. It very well could be the same as that map in his link for the 2021 draw.

I might sit down today and make a spreadsheet if I don't find something more entertaining for nap time. I mainly want to see if my .5-.1% guess was close.

The bigger excitement would be to learn if the same change of data set years will apply to the hybrid draw. That would offer NR and R more "quality" opportunity while they bank points.
Screenshot_20230102-101048.png

The fact that so many hybrid draw hunt codes are on the list but cannot be drawn via the hybrid draw is great evidence that the data set years needed to be updated.

@cnelk do you know if the hybrid draw will see the same updated data set years?

It is really just a diff perspective.
Absolutely it is a different perspective, and my point is that it seems to float around depending on how someone wants to skew and manipulate the information.

The same principal would be like if someone drew a deer/elk license and then got an "add on OTC" bear license (which requires the person to have the elk/deer license first) and then sees it as a free deer/elk license and a $1k bear license because they reassigned the cost in their mind.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I haven’t researched the Hybrid Draw at all.

I have read once that only Residents have drawn the Hybrid tags. Can’t confirm that though

Last edited:
Now imagine when the people at the back of the line realize they're not getting in. They start complaining that its not fair that the people here first, at the front of the line, get in and we don't. They demand the rules of admittance are changed. They start posting on social media how unjust it is that people at the front of the line are admitted first.

In response vendor security tells the people at the front, sorry we can't let you in even though you've been waiting the longest. We are going to go through the line and pick people at random and let them in until the venue is full.

Doesn't seem right, but you can see how it relates.
This is a reasonable analogy. The other part people seem to be forgetting is that people are free to draw out any time they want, it is their own choice to hold out for higher draw units... I will never hunt some units, any more than a NR will, once I burn the 10 points I've been accumulating, I will be hunting 1-2 point, 2nd choice or OTC. This is my choice. I won't wait another 10 years for a premium hunt. Am I bummed about it? Sure, but I've also had some amazing hunts in low draw and 2nd choice units, which also amazingly enough, hold lots of elk too...

It is really just a diff perspective.

I just say it cost $30 to go to the movies or $X to go to Outback, and include the tip amount in my tally cause that’s what left my wallet - that’s the true cost to me.

At least I’m not mad or frustrated. You are mistaking me for someone who truly cares in some form.

I threw the future NR hunts towel in with the 90/10 stuff, booked a guided hunt to burn WY antelope points and let my mule deer points expire. CO was on the radar for an OTC plains elk hunt.

The 2023 guided hunt wraps up and slightly exceeds the $budget$ i promised wife for western hunting trips - including gear, travel, and such. Have all the gear now and even wall tent and heater, cots, sleeping bags for 4. Not sure what Im gonna do w this stuff now. Was hoping for 2 more hunts but one will do. Plus side is the guided hunt will likely be an exceptionally fun time w a couple buddies.

My state of residency -FL- has 23 million people and a few areas open for hunting free for all. Most of it is quota hunts. We have areas were double digit pref points are required - for deer and turkey -nuts.

Far as i know, if you wanted a NR deer or hog or turkey or gator license here your name goes in the same hat as mine. They issue say 100 tags per hunt for a 7,000 acre area and that’s it. Not differentiated by residency.
You could hunt OTC elk in Colorado every single year if you wanted, it won't be much more than the cost of a tag, food and gas now that you have the gear. Plenty of elk get killed on OTC hunts every year.

jayhawk

WKR
I think an 80/20 split is a good thing. As Western hunting becomes more popular and accessible, it will be good to prioritize the residents over the non-residents. A lot of guys in CO and other western states who've lived there their entire lives will probably never be able to hunt moose, sheep, etc. because of tag creep from (mainly) more NRs applying there.

Also, even if CO does make all units draw only, and does away with OTC, I feel like those units will still be pretty easy to draw. There's a reason they're OTC . . .

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
You could hunt OTC elk in Colorado every single year if you wanted, it won't be much more than the cost of a tag, food and gas now that you have the gear. Plenty of elk get killed on OTC hunts every year.

I just never worried about elk. Wanted a 4x4 muley - thanks CO. And an antelope buck - WY 2023, did does in 2017 and regretted not having the buck tag.

Otherwise, I’m good. Noone owes me nothing -and i owe noone nothing.

Still may do the CO plains elk, we’ll see if it happens.

Last edited:

fishslap

WKR
I just never worried about elk. Wanted a 4x4 muley - thanks CO. And an antelope buck - WY 2023, did does in 2017 and regretted not having the buck tag.

Otherwise, I’m good. Noone owes me nothing -and i owe noone nothing.

Still may do the CO plains elk, we’ll see if it happens
What would make you want to come all the way from Florida to hunt one of the most difficult areas for elk in Colorado, especially with the cost of the small game licenses tacked on?

The same principal would be like if someone drew a deer/elk license and then got an "add on OTC" bear license (which requires the person to have the elk/deer license first) and then sees it as a free deer/elk license and a $1k bear license because they reassigned the cost in their mind.

I mean, that's a little backwards. I use to get a bear tag when I could, then it went free for all and cheap. I use to sit there and wait on the clock to get the OTC with caps at 3.5 times the cost they are now.

Now the bear license is an add on license, not a buy before you can apply.

If I wanted a damn bear license, I'd just buy a forking bear license. Cause I can.

Please show me where I can apply for an elk tag/point for the $8. I guess I'm just stupid, cause I can't find it. All of it requires other purchases that have nothing to do with that point.

I really don't care that much, I have spent money in a bunch of states, I just hate that the rules seem to keep changing. It has changed like 3 times in the past 5-6 years. Or seems that way.

sndmn11

WKR
I mean, that's a little backwards. I use to get a bear tag when I could, then it went free for all and cheap. I use to sit there and wait on the clock to get the OTC with caps at 3.5 times the cost they are now.

Now the bear license is an add on license, not a buy before you can apply.

If I wanted a damn bear license, I'd just buy a forking bear license. Cause I can.

Please show me where I can apply for an elk tag/point for the $8. I guess I'm just stupid, cause I can't find it. All of it requires other purchases that have nothing to do with that point.

I really don't care that much, I have spent money in a bunch of states, I just hate that the rules seem to keep changing. It has changed like 3 times in the past 5-6 years. Or seems that way.

The example of the add on bear license is the logic people are using to say they spend thousands on CO preference point(s). It's not a $800 bear license and a $0 elk license, it's a $100 bear license and a $700 elk license (for NR).

The application fee is $9.17 for a NR; from that you either get the license you applied for, or a preference point.
Screenshot_20221231-183645.png

The example of the add on bear license is the logic people are using to say they spend thousands on CO preference point(s). It's not a $800 bear license and a $0 elk license, it's a $100 bear license and a $700 elk license (for NR).

The application fee is $9.17 for a NR; from that you either get the license you applied for, or a preference point.
View attachment 495283

No. A bear license is 103.60. You can add it on, but you can purchase it separately.

A preference point is $9.17 plus the $86.50 you are required to purchase before you can then add the $9.17.

I feel like you really failing on the sales tactic here.
Just call a spade a spade.

You go to Costco, you gotta pay the membership. Don't everyone get to pull up and pump that gas, but you can keep bragging about it being cheap even tho you don't recognize the real cost.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is getting far off the original topic of nr tag allocation.

sndmn11

WKR
No. A bear license is 103.60. You can add it on, but you can purchase it separately.

A preference point is $9.17 plus the $86.50 you are required to purchase before you can then add the $9.17.

You can't purchase an add on bear license without the required elk/deer license to add it on to. It's the same logic you just wrote, and it doesn't make the add on bear license $800 because a elk/deer license is needed.

Your $86.50 gets you a small game license so you can hunt for a year.

Your habitat stamp gets you access to state wildlife lands.

You can't purchase an add on bear license without the required elk/deer license to add it on to. It's the same logic you just wrote, and it doesn't make the add on bear license $800 because a elk/deer license is needed.

Your $86.50 gets you a small game license so you can hunt for a year.

Your habitat stamp gets you access to state wildlife lands.
Can or I buy an elk point by spending $10 or less this year in Colorado? I only want an elk point. I don’t want to buy a turkey license, small game license etc. Yes or no? If no, than that point costs more than $10.

If I want to hunt the add on bear tag. Can I hunt it without buying a deer or elk tag? If not and I only want to hunt bears, not deer/elk. The bear tag cost me $800 or whatever it adds up to.

Are you in politics by chance?

sndmn11

WKR
If I want to hunt the add on bear tag. Can I hunt it without buying a deer or elk tag? If not and I only want to hunt bears, not deer/elk. The bear tag cost me $800 or whatever it adds up to.

Are you in politics by chance?
Not in politics.

Is your elk license free then?

Not in politics.

Is your elk license free then?
I have a tight budget. No hunting this year because of braces for the kid, flying to the moon, buying my wife’s boy friend a new car, etc. I want to hunt a first season hunt in Colorado 2024. It looks like it’s 100% odds with 1 point. I’m all jazzed up because some random on the internet says it only costs me $9.XX to buy a preference point for elk. I log in and can’t figure out how to buy a point for $9 and change. Can you please show me how? Remember I’m on a tight budget so I was extremely happy when I read it only costs $9.XX. Please walk me through getting an elk preference point in Colorado for less than $10 out of pocket. I appreciate it.

I have a tight budget. No hunting this year because of braces for the kid, flying to the moon, buying my wife’s boy friend a new car, etc. I want to hunt a first season hunt in Colorado 2024. It looks like it’s 100% odds with 1 point. I’m all jazzed up because some random on the internet says it only costs me $9.XX to buy a preference point for elk. I log in and can’t figure out how to buy a point for $9 and change. Can you please show me how? Remember I’m on a tight budget so I was extremely happy when I read it only costs $9.XX. Please walk me through getting an elk preference point in Colorado for less than $10 out of pocket. I appreciate it.

Sorry we don't spot burn here on RS.

You need to find your own damn $9 ⁹preference point.

Just remember, ain't nothing free.

sndmn11

WKR

You can't apply until March 1st. Send me a PM when the time comes if you are still having trouble and we can set up a Google Meet to share a screen and help you stay excited and happy.

I am happy to help since you are appreciative.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
Sndman11 keep reading on your link.
You must buy a qualifying license before you apply for the point ($86) Also you must buy habitat stamp before you apply($10). Then you get the $9 PP fee plus S&R and 1.50 for another fee so over $105 to apply for elk PP.
Now, Most NRs are not going to buy that small game or fishing license in Colorado because we just aren’t into vacation rabbit hunts or care about fishing that much. So we feel that we are being forced to buy a license we dont care about for the sake of
pursuing elk.
There’s no correlation between wanting to hunt elk and holding a fishing or rabbit tag out of state